ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #67
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

How small of a town do you live in, where it's even possible to keep meeting the same person at the head of the line at red lights?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #68
apexstrafer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
Yep C&D retested the Nismo with the new pads and confirmed it did not crash into a barrier. I believe the brakes still faded badly on the track, but didn't give completely out at least. For pure lap after lap performance I'm definitely going to say our cars would win out as it's built for that kind of stuff.
FWIW, I wouldn't put much stock in what C&D has to say about a car's track abilities. These same guys went slower around VIR in a Z4MC than a 335. I know firsthand that the 335 is almost a full second off the pace of the M, and that's at a much shorter track (SOW) than where they did their "Lightening Lap".

At the end of the day....a Nismo 370 and a Z4M Coupe are similarly matched in terms of performance, but I know which one I'd rather be driving.
      07-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #69
007///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe Black/Black

Drove a friend's new 370Z (not the NISMO) this weekend and was DISAPOINTED. Was hoping for a good time but of course it wasn't fair because it was an auto. It was loud (in all the wrong ways) and just didnt have any umph to it. I'll stick with the ///M... mmmmhhhmmmm
2005 Nissan Altima
1956 Ford Victoria 2dr Hardtop
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #70
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

i test drove a brand new nismo 370z at the local nissan dealership here yesterday. sales rep was really trusting and let me take it out for a spin with a buddy in the passenger's seat.

pros:
1. synchro rev match magically makes anyone a pro at downshifts.
2. shorter gear lever + shorter throws.

cons:
1. rev matching isn't perfect (4 to 3, 3 to 2 can be jerky).
2. fabric seats feel very cheap.
3. skinny steering wheel just feels awkward compared with the thick m steering wheel.
4. low end power and torque were a disappointment. felt noticeably slower to pick up in 1st and 2nd compared with the m.
5. annoying fuel and temp leds that are difficult to read.
6. dsc is like an anvil that jumps in and out far too often. did a slow speed u-turn with moderate revs and it wobbled on straightening out. same thing happens when pulling out from a side road.
7. WAY TOO QUIET! was surprised that i could hardly hear the v6 note at all with windows up, even at upper revs.

bias aside, i objectively feel that the m coupe is a more complete, tightly wound package. performance differences between the nismo 370z and the m coupe are negligible, with the m pulling harder through the low rev band. the m's handling definitely felt more assured than the nismo.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #71
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I didn't get to drive a 370z, but I was able to sit in one for about five minutes at a dealership. One huge Con is the blind spot. I thought the M was bad! Those small rear windows behind the 370z's door are pretty much worthless.

Of course, I could gripe about the M's 2nd gear grinding all day long too (a problem which the 370z does not have as far as I know)...but the M looks 10x better!

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #72
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Of course, I could gripe about the M's 2nd gear grinding all day long too (a problem which the 370z does not have as far as I know)...but the M looks 10x better!
As dissapointing as it is, I think this not a big issue. First time ever after 1.5years of ownership I encountered the 1-2 grinding last saturday on the autocross track... and it was my fault, I was shifting at 8k rpm very fast. As long as you keep the revs below 8k, and shift smoothly it does not grind.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #73
Shorestyle031
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M roadster

I have ran a 370Z and they are not faster. We went from a dig and roll and i won both times.
      08-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #74
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
As dissapointing as it is, I think this not a big issue. First time ever after 1.5years of ownership I encountered the 1-2 grinding last saturday on the autocross track... and it was my fault, I was shifting at 8k rpm very fast. As long as you keep the revs below 8k, and shift smoothly it does not grind.
I know how to avoid it as well, but when you're going 10/10ths (as you undoubtedly were on auto-x), you may not have time to think about a proper 1-2 shift and that grinding is such a buzz kill, especially when you don't expect it. Further, if we didn't have to slightly delay the 1-2 shift so it doesn't grind, perhaps our cars would post slightly faster 0-60 and quarter mile times?

Anyway, I'm just trying to be objective. It's a flaw that the M coupe has. Just like the 370z has the brake cooling and blind spot flaws.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #75
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
It's a flaw that the M coupe has. Just like the 370z has the brake cooling and blind spot flaws.
and engine overheating/limping, and viscous lsd overheating...

you have to spend $3-4k on a 370z to make it as reliable on the track as a z4mcoupe.
Appreciate 0