ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Best Stealer Austin/DFW/Antonio

I'm rapidly approaching time for my Inspection 2 and need to hear the ins and outs of what to look for and the best place to take my baby, or most at least, where NOT to take it. Preferrably Austin since it's the closest to me.

Also, what should I make sure gets checked? Valve shims and VANOS bolts, etc...

This is my first vehicle under warranty and I don't want to get (completely) screwed! Any help is much appreciated!!
      01-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

bmw of austin only on principle that i cannot recommend bmw of san antonio for what i feel is sub-par service despite them treating me rather nicely. i'd describe it as all flash and no substance, if u understand....

have only heard good things about bmw of austin, but never personally made the trip out there to meet the folks and have my car in for any servicing. i would be very detailed about ur expectations, have valve adjustment requirements/results asked for and to be prepared to leave ur car all day, or overnight, if necessary.

funny enough i'm due for inspection I in about 3000 miles and i'm out of the original maintenance warranty. going the indie route in san antonio.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
BMW of Austin has been great with Wendy and I so far. Let me know when your going to be in town. If it will be in the shop for a bit, we can meet up and get to lunch or something!

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I've had no problems with classic BMW in Dallas. I only use one of their techs tho.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Stay far away from Autobahn in Fort Worth. They recently totaled a guy's M5 that was in for service and are being less than professional about resolving the problem.
      01-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I read about that!! That sucks!!

I've heard nothing but good things about Austin BMW.

I bought my car at classic. Mark, maybe you can hook me up with your guy?
      02-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Another question! If I took my own oil (Royal Purple?) and tranny fluid would they put that in there for me?
      02-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

i've decided to take my m coupe in for it's inspection I this coming weekend when visiting bmw of austin for the tejas chapter meet. i'm fed up with the customer service at bmw of san antonio and do not have any faith that the $1303 they've quoted me will be of much use at all beyond them zipping about in my car (saw this with my own eyes on other customer cars in the service lot) and just generally treating me beneath an appropriate level of professionalism and service (my driver's side cupholder debacle comes to mind).

can anyone please recommend me someone in the service department at bmw of austin i can give a call to and set up an appointment? as is characteristic of us enthusiasts, i've very specific expectations and demands for my inspection I to be done right and i don't want to be juggling with another inept service advisor as i did at bmw of san antonio.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

damn, sorry about the bad experiences in SA!
      02-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

had a bad experience at bmw of sa as well. the guy refused to give me the software update for the lumpy idle even though it is in an sib, wanted to keep my car and give me a loaner for days.... when i called him on it he was less than respectfull. ive heard only bad things from bmwsa which is sad because when i owned my mercedes from mb of boerne you had your own concierge while you weere getting service done, talk about polarizing experiences....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

cool beans, under recommendation from a local bmw car club in san antonio (strictlyea.com), i gave a call to mark williamson at dbc performance tuning and am thoroughly pleased with his level of knowledge, expertise and assurance on working with bmws. he comes highly recommended and specializes in bmws, and was spot on in his description of inspection I for the s54 equipped z4m, all from rote memory over the phone. the price he quoted for the full inspection I, including valve clearances check and adjustments as required, is $617.09, parts, labor and taxes inclusive. he made specific mention tt he will provide a complete, detailed checklist of all the items accomplished for inspection I as well as a readout of the valve clearances and any adjustments made. awesome service and made me feel infinitely more comfortable than the inepts at san antonio bmw or the folks at rhinewest (argued about inspection I's requirements and items with me, which really pissed me off).

will still visit austin bmw with the tejas chapter folks this coming sat, though for the price and the distance (san ant being 100 miles closer than austin), am going the independent route since my maintenance package has expired. i'll still be at coffee and rides next sat (26th feb) and my intent is to drop my car off at dbc tuning immediately after.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
cool beans, under recommendation from a local bmw car club in san antonio (strictlyea.com), i gave a call to mark williamson at dbc performance tuning and am thoroughly pleased with his level of knowledge, expertise and assurance on working with bmws. he comes highly recommended and specializes in bmws, and was spot on in his description of inspection I for the s54 equipped z4m, all from rote memory over the phone. the price he quoted for the full inspection I, including valve clearances check and adjustments as required, is $617.09, parts, labor and taxes inclusive. he made specific mention tt he will provide a complete, detailed checklist of all the items accomplished for inspection I as well as a readout of the valve clearances and any adjustments made. awesome service and made me feel infinitely more comfortable than the inepts at san antonio bmw or the folks at rhinewest (argued about inspection I's requirements and items with me, which really pissed me off).

will still visit austin bmw with the tejas chapter folks this coming sat, though for the price and the distance (san ant being 100 miles closer than austin), am going the independent route since my maintenance package has expired. i'll still be at coffee and rides next sat (26th feb) and my intent is to drop my car off at dbc tuning immediately after.
$617 for inspection 1? that doesn't sound bad at all! i've not done any shopping yet here in dfw but hopefully i can find someone who can do some of the inspection 2 services for me for a good deal. i can do the simple stuff such as differential, tranny, and engine oils on my own. but checking valves is something i will leave to a professional.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

^he quoted about 5.5 hours of labor for the valve check and adjustment as required, but summed it to 6 hours total for everything else, so i decided to leave the entire inspection I to him, including the oil change. might provide the oil separately although he estimated he could get the oil and filter for $60, which is cheaper than $90 at tischer. will research a bit more on it, but overall $617 is great!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Classic was great. Great customer support. Got a 328i for a loaner. MAN what a difference. lol so much SLOWER. haha

Main thing that sucks? it wasn't Inspection 2! BOO. only oil service. could've done that myself and saved 700 miles...
      02-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

tejas chapter meet was awesome and bmw of austin certainly looks and feels worlds better than bmw of san antonio. the service facility is huge and fully air-conditioned, which must make working on cars pretty comfortable. unfortunately, i'm based so far out tt it's exhausting to travel back and forth between austin within a day, so am still going the independent route for my inspection I this sat. going to have my engine mounts checked as well and re-oiling my k&n in the gruppe m.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #16
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

assuming i still have my z4 ill be going to the meet this weekend. i gotta check out your rpi! id like to see how dronie it is compared to my stebro.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
assuming i still have my z4 ill be going to the meet this weekend. i gotta check out your rpi! id like to see how dronie it is compared to my stebro.
Yeah I'd LOVE to make it down there. I want to hear this!!! You're talking about the Rides and Coffee in SA right?

I keep forgetting there's a HOBBY SHOP ON BASE I need to get up there this weekend or sometime soon and get all my parts from around teh garage on...mostly springs...haha

I also need to get the tech insp done for the March 19 track day. I should be able to take it an indy shop in town right?
      02-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
bhoch
SSGT USMC - '78 - '86
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [7.33]
tejas chapter had a nice turnout on Saturday. Was a lot of fun and some really good food! Tech sessions wondering around the dealership and getting to chat with folks was a lot of fun.

Matt's car did not seem that loud - at least on idle!

2007 3.0si Roadster Black/Red, sport, Piano Black F14 Forgestar's
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #19
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
i'll be there again this saturday, together with a few of the tejas members that regularly show too. there's cabin drone at highway speeds but i've come to the conclusion that it's dependent on time-of-day i.e. temperatures as well. travelling eastwards toward san antonio, the drone is more tame, whereas travelling westwards toward del rio, the drone is more pronounced. maybe it's the exhaustion after a day out road noise is a lot more of an issue and tt's wholly dependent on the road surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
Yeah I'd LOVE to make it down there. I want to hear this!!! You're talking about the Rides and Coffee in SA right?

I keep forgetting there's a HOBBY SHOP ON BASE I need to get up there this weekend or sometime soon and get all my parts from around teh garage on...mostly springs...haha

I also need to get the tech insp done for the March 19 track day. I should be able to take it an indy shop in town right?
any ase-certified shop will be able to get a tech inspection done in about 10 minutes tops. i'll be at the track day most likely but probably won't be participating

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
tejas chapter had a nice turnout on Saturday. Was a lot of fun and some really good food! Tech sessions wondering around the dealership and getting to chat with folks was a lot of fun.

Matt's car did not seem that loud - at least on idle!
thanks! headed south to harris hill for the ongoing hpde there, and was surprised with the awesome turnout - plenty of modded m3's, a trio of highly-tuned, race-specced r35 gtrs, an immaculate 997 gt3rs, ultima canam race car, porsche boxster spyder and a host of other track-specced porsches, supercharged first gen audi tt with full exhaust etc etc. met some great guys out at the track and took my m coupe out for a few laps after the chequered flag at day's end. the rpi's truly come alive on the track where revs stay above 4000rpms

my latest youtube vid showcases the rpi's pretty well....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #20
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
any ase-certified shop will be able to get a tech inspection done in about 10 minutes tops. i'll be at the track day most likely but probably won't be participating

Thanks. I think the shop everyone around here says to go to is ASE cert.

Not participating???

my latest youtube vid showcases the rpi's pretty well....
And where are these videos?!?!
      02-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #21
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nevermind...i found them
      02-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #22
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep

^not participating cos i'm saving up some money i will be there after lunchtime though. thinking of making it out to cars and coffee this sat?
Appreciate 0