ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #1
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Shifting smoothness advice

I recently got lost and ended up discovering this really lovely twisty road, which I've been using every sunny day since, even though it doubles my commute .

It's made realize that my shifting (mainly downshifting/heel+toe) is not as smooth as I would like, especially between gears 2 & 3. I have no problems with the physical movements, but I think I'm faulting at matching the revs very accurately. This upsets the car just a bit when the clutch is released.

Question for you guys: what goes through your mind when you downshift (rm& heel+toe)? Do you look at the speed, gear lever, and calculate the next rpm? Do you just blip the throttle and hope for the best?

I'm especially curious with anyone that has driven on a track at higher speeds, where jerkiness could be dangerous...

Any tips/feedback would be welcome. I've already removed the CDV.

Thanks,
gc
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Do not take your eyes from where you want the car to go while shifting. Please..
Appreciate 1
AriuSen776.50
      04-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

It's a "feel" process that takes practice. When you're on the track at the point where you're doing the heel & toe move as Vanne indicated you don't have time to be looking at gauges or anything but the track and the cars ahead of you.
Err on the side of reving too high. If you're mis-matched its much less upsetting on the chassis to drag the engine down to speed, than it is if you're too low and you get engine braking by accident.
      04-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Also with the low end torque of the 3.0i and 3.0Si rethink why you are shifting. Are you down shifting to slow the car or for better exit speed? Do not shift to slow down, use the brakes. Having driven Hondas for so many years, the low end torque took me a while to understand. I also do not think of how to down shift, it just happens.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 01:06 AM   #5
MPLICIT
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4MC S65B40A Swap

CDV delete /thread

2011 Space Gray + Fox Red ///M3 Coupe
ESS VT2-650, Bilstein PSS10 Coils, AP Racing BBK, Recaro Seats, CF Roof, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 02:52 AM   #6
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

It's much harder to heel n toe in the streets than at the track where you fully press the brakes
      04-16-2017, 04:59 AM   #7
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I'm right there with you as I anticipate doing HPDE's after getting better at autocross ( I've done 2 events now ) As has been suggested to me on this and other forums, take some driving school classes. I also have watched some great You Tube videos that use split screens to show 1) road ahead mounted GoPro 2) close up of clutch/brake/gas pedals 3) Tach...all on one screen. It helps to see this all at once, on a track with an experienced driver who has great heel-toe abilities. There are also aftermarket pedals with different designs to make reaching the brake/gas easier. I've been practicing on some sharp turns in a somewhat rural road near me, doing it slowly just to try and get it smooth and having it become smooth and more natural. I do agree with previous post, it's hard to do on the street, because you don't want heel toe to slow, you want it to exit fast. I've always downshifted to use the engine to slow down, so it's a learning process.
      04-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #8
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas-can View Post
I recently got lost and ended up discovering this really lovely twisty road, which I've been using every sunny day since, even though it doubles my commute .

It's made realize that my shifting (mainly downshifting/heel+toe) is not as smooth as I would like, especially between gears 2 & 3. I have no problems with the physical movements, but I think I'm faulting at matching the revs very accurately. This upsets the car just a bit when the clutch is released.

Question for you guys: what goes through your mind when you downshift (rm& heel+toe)? Do you look at the speed, gear lever, and calculate the next rpm? Do you just blip the throttle and hope for the best?

I'm especially curious with anyone that has driven on a track at higher speeds, where jerkiness could be dangerous...

Any tips/feedback would be welcome. I've already removed the CDV.

Thanks,
gc
When done properly, nothing should go through your mind. You need to practice till you dont know another way. It is how I drive all cars. After that, you can work on your left foot braking. Practice, practice. It will take year or years to do real well.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #9
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post
It's much harder to heel n toe in the streets than at the track where you fully press the brakes
^This^

You'll be on the brakes much harder on the track so the brake pedal will be much farther down than it will be driving on the street.
      04-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #10
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Thanks everyone. Lots of good tips.

So to re-iterate:
  1. It's a feel thing - don't look at any of the dials (on track) or try to calculate things on the fly (unless you're near Vanne)
  2. It's easier on the track b/c brakes are usually fully depressed
  3. Overshooting RPMs is better than being too low

I've noticed that I'm doing better this week than last. I think the practice everyday on that little road has indeed helped with the muscle memory.

Thanks again. A big positive about these cars is the access to this Forum

-gc
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 03:57 AM   #11
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Lol, you won't be near me, I'll be at the back of the pack. I can't drive my way out of a wet paper bag. But I am learning
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #12
Boosted 1
Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M coupe, Gx470, M2 PE

I couldn't do it well until I got exhaust! Cdv delete helped and so did rogue bushings and royal purple.
Appreciate 1
JJZ4MR30.00
      04-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #13
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Lol, you won't be near me, I'll be at the back of the pack. I can't drive my way out of a wet paper bag. But I am learning
Don't sell yourself so short! Wet paperbag I am sure is possible...a dry one, now that's a different story
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #14
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Did you go RP tranny or diff ? Is the Synchromesh 75-140 ? I'm about to do a complete fluid change/flush. Tranny/Diff/Cooling/Brakes/Clutch/Power Steering....trying to gather info on liquids used and DIY info...Love My New Car ! Hoping new tranny/diff makes things even smoother, also giving some thought to ZHP short throw shifter, I've read some good stuff on the feel of the shift with the change. Check out Clutch Stop..$ 10.00 - GREAT MOD ! Ultimate Pedals has options for Heel Extension and Toe Extension and some peeps go with this and love it.
      04-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #15
dc_wright
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas-can View Post
Thanks everyone. Lots of good tips.

So to re-iterate:
  1. It's a feel thing - don't look at any of the dials (on track) or try to calculate things on the fly (unless you're near Vanne)
  2. It's easier on the track b/c brakes are usually fully depressed
  3. Overshooting RPMs is better than being too low

I've noticed that I'm doing better this week than last. I think the practice everyday on that little road has indeed helped with the muscle memory.

Thanks again. A big positive about these cars is the access to this Forum

-gc
Not necessarily easier, just different. If you're able to truly heel & toe then you'll need to lift your foot much higher to get to the accelerator pedal because you'll be coming off a much lower brake pedal point. If you roll your foot like I have to do (feet like snow shoes) you'll be on the brake pedal with the left side of the ball of your foot so you can roll the right side of your foot onto the gas pedal. In street driving you can be pretty flat footed on the brake pedal and still roll over to the gas pedal.