ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
trevor
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 and 2001 BMW 515i

What NOT TO Do (Manual Transmission), and WHY!

Hey Everyone,

I have been reading a lot of manual transmissions since I bought one recently, and I got to be honest - its pretty annoyingly confusing, so I decided I want to get direct and "explained" advice, not for me, but for everyone who has to suffer this vague topic.

Please tell us (everyone who wants clear info) what not to do when driving a manual transmission, AND WHY! - ESPECIALLY if it burns out the clutch. We do not need to hear best practice since we hear that all the time, but it doesn't help us understand what not to do and why.

Thanks in advance for your time.

NOTE: Please refrain from mentioning something someone else already said.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If you are not starting off or changing gear, keep your left foot completely OFF the clutch pedal.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
If you are not starting off or changing gear, keep your left foot completely OFF the clutch pedal.
Can just touching the pedal actually engage the clutch a little bit? Sometimes I leave my foot hovering over the clutch pedal if I'm in stop and go traffic, so at times it does touch the pedal if I'm not careful or if I get tired.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Can just touching the pedal actually engage the clutch a little bit? Sometimes I leave my foot hovering over the clutch pedal if I'm in stop and go traffic, so at times it does touch the pedal if I'm not careful or if I get tired.
Why would you need to keep your foot hovering the clutch pedal in traffic? In almost all the naturally aspirated 6 cylinder BMWs built in the last 20 years (even the 4 cylinders), when you release the gas pedal it is almost like pressing the brakes since the engine braking effect on a HIGH compression engine is so strong.

In the MZ4 Coupe, because of the LONG stroke, 6 cylinders, and HIGH compression, when I release the throttle in 1st or 2nd in traffic it's almost like throwing out anchors. 2nd gear is SOOOOOOO damn long I can almost drive home from Orange County during rush hour and never touch the brakes nor the clutch (that's more a testament to how sh*tty traffic is than anything else).
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Why would you need to keep your foot hovering the clutch pedal in traffic? In almost all the naturally aspirated 6 cylinder BMWs built in the last 20 years (even the 4 cylinders), when you release the gas pedal it is almost like pressing the brakes since the engine braking effect on a HIGH compression engine is so strong.

In the MZ4 Coupe, because of the LONG stroke, 6 cylinders, and HIGH compression, when I release the throttle in 1st or 2nd in traffic it's almost like throwing out anchors. 2nd gear is SOOOOOOO damn long I can almost drive home from Orange County during rush hour and never touch the brakes nor the clutch (that's more a testament to how sh*tty traffic is than anything else).
Hmm, I haven't noticed that but I actually rarely drive the Z4 in traffic. I was thinking of driving a manual in general. Thanks for the tip, maybe I don't even need to engage the clutch while turning either if that's the case. I normally drive local roads with few traffic lights at 35-40 and turn at 25 or so.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #6
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

okay, 1.. DONT bunnyhop, cos its BAD for your box/clutch/engine....everything..
I dislike driving the z4m in traffic.. try not to slip the clutch <-- as it burns out the clutch.. All cars are different, my buddies Z4M clutch puckup is waaay lower than mine, mine pretty much picks up in the first 0.5 cm off throw, my buddies needs to press at least 2 inches before anything happens. Also mine has much, much more force (does that make sense?) behind the pedal than my buddies z4m.

Just try and be as smooth as you can mate ;-)

Last edited by Vanne; 05-27-2015 at 06:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Do not rest your hand on the shift knob while driving. You can move the linkage with the gears and cause problems

In stop and go traffic it is ok to not be bumper to bumper with the car in front of you the whole time. Constantly engaging the clutch to start and stop puts a lot of wear on it much faster than normal. It's ok to wait for traffic to move a little further ahead and then slowly let out the clutch without pushing the gas pedal so you roll slowly. If you do it right the idle of the engine will get you rolling at a slow traffic speed. People might be mad you're not 10 feet further ahead of where they want you to be, but you nor they will get to your destination any quicker anyways.

If I am relaxed driving around town I try to keep the RPMs around 2k when I am at my cruising speed. This doesn't work at highway speed with our gearing though. If you pay attention to the tachometer on an automatic, you'll notice this is about the rev range those transmissions cruise at.

To add on to the above, smooth gas pedal movement is important especially if you have a passenger. I knew a guy a few years ago who for some reason was always one gear lower than he should have been when on the highway and instead of keeping his foot on the gas to keep a constant speed he would tap the gas repeatedly to maintain a speed. As a passenger you would be thrown around because the high RPM he was at from being in the wrong gear and the on and off the throttle would make the car jerk every time he hit the gas. He just didn't know any better. He wasn't going from no throttle to full throttle every time, more like no throttle to 25%, but it was enough to make you bounce back and fourth in the seat.
      05-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
maybe I don't even need to engage the clutch while turning either if that's the case.
Why do you think you need to engage the clutch when you are turning?

In the very simplest of explanations, when the car is in motion and the clutch is dis-engaged (foot off the pedal for this discussion) the only reason you need to engage the clutch is if you are going to reduce the speed of the vehicle to the point that the engine would be forced below its idle speed. What you are doing (stopping or slowing) determines what is done next with regards to selecting another gear and use of the clutch..
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #9
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Why do you think you need to engage the clutch when you are turning?

In the very simplest of explanations, when the car is in motion and the clutch is dis-engaged (foot off the pedal for this discussion) the only reason you need to engage the clutch is if you are going to reduce the speed of the vehicle to the point that the engine would be forced below its idle speed. What you are doing (stopping or slowing) determines what is done next with regards to selecting another gear and use of the clutch..
I generally engage the clutch to drop 1 gear when I make a left turn so my engine speed remains around 2000rpm. From what I just read earlier, that's not necessary unless I misunderstood. Let's say you're driving 40mph and assuming there's no oncoming traffic, do you normally leave your car in 4th gear while making a left turn or do you down shift to 3rd? The engine speed will probably drop to around 1200rpm (just a guess) if you leave it in 4th. I always thought that sound it makes when its in too high of a gear was bad for the engine (e.g. when you start moving from a stop in 2nd gear).
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
I generally engage the clutch to drop 1 gear when I make a left turn so my engine speed remains around 2000rpm. From what I just read earlier, that's not necessary unless I misunderstood. Let's say you're driving 40mph and assuming there's no oncoming traffic, do you normally leave your car in 4th gear while making a left turn or do you down shift to 3rd? The engine speed will probably drop to around 1200rpm (just a guess) if you leave it in 4th. I always thought that sound it makes when its in too high of a gear was bad for the engine (e.g. when you start moving from a stop in 2nd gear).

I think what they mean is do your gear change and release the clutch before making the turn. Of course you don't slow way down in 4th, make the turn, and stay in that gear.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #11
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Whatever you do, don't use the clutch to stay stopped on a hill! I had a girlfriend once who owned a manual transmission car, and one day I noticed she had the gas on with the clutch pedal halfway on uphills to keep the car stationary.

Horrific.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I think what they mean is do your gear change and release the clutch before making the turn. Of course you don't slow way down in 4th, make the turn, and stay in that gear.
^WHS
essentially you should always be in gear unless stopped or changing.
Shift before entering a corner to the gear that you need to be in exiting the corner.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
^WHS
essentially you should always be in gear unless stopped or changing.
Shift before entering a corner to the gear that you need to be in exiting the corner.
Yeah, I've been doing it all wrong. I don't engine brake when I come to a stop, but I just realized I do it while turning. Before a turn I downshift 1 gear and slowly let up on the clutch pedal during my turn (instead of rev matching prior to the turn) so I don't have to brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Whatever you do, don't use the clutch to stay stopped on a hill! I had a girlfriend once who owned a manual transmission car, and one day I noticed she had the gas on with the clutch pedal halfway on uphills to keep the car stationary.

Horrific.
Funny how we all end up with exes with bad manual driving habits! I had a few of those stories as well.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #15
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

You'll get the hang of it. I learned to drive on a manual transmission car, and I've never owned anything since (23+ years now). I hate paddles, and I HATE automatics. If manufacturers finally kill manuals one day, I'll never own a new car. It's manual or nothing for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #16
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
You'll get the hang of it. I learned to drive on a manual transmission car, and I've never owned anything since (23+ years now). I hate paddles, and I HATE automatics. If manufacturers finally kill manuals one day, I'll never own a new car. It's manual or nothing for me.
You've never sat in traffic after a long/tiring day at work and think "I wish I had an automatic?" If not, then give it another 20 years. You'll probably change your mind when you're 60
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #17
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
ALWAYS rev match when downshifting. Never ride the clutch out as an alternatove to rev matching.

Don't slam through gears as quickly as you can. You won't impress anybody, and lightning quick shifts don't increase your performance by much of anything at all. Faster drivers shift smoothly. Learn the ideal upshift speed, as in the amount of time (delay) you allow so that the rpm can fall while changing gears. 7000 rpm in 2nd might be 4500 rpm in 3rd, and if you shift before the rpm has dropped far enough, you will upset the balance of the car. Too fast or slow, and you shock the drivetrain. Obviously your shift speed can change depending on the gear and rpm. A rule of thumb is to give a heartbeat between gears.

Any time you have the clutch partially engaged, you are slipping it. The only time it should be partially engaged is when you're transitioning from a stop. Otherwise, it should either be engaged completely or not engaged at all. Treat it like an on/off switch.

If going forward from a stop, always start in 1st gear. Other gears require more clutch slippage and bog the engine down.

Be easy on the throttle when in high gear and low rpm. Lugging the engine around is very hard on it, and you're under high load without spinning the oil pump quickly enough. A good rule of thumb is not to use heavy throttle below 2000 rpm in 3rd gear or above.

If you're cruising over 3000 rpm and not in 6th, you should probably upshift. More rpm means more wear and worse gas mileage. Aim to cruise between 2000-3000 rpm.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #18
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
You've never sat in traffic after a long/tiring day at work and think "I wish I had an automatic?" If not, then give it another 20 years. You'll probably change your mind when you're 60
+1

i now own my first ever automatic jeep, and unless its a sports car, ill never drive manual again..