ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #23
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Blind32 thanks!
Much appreciated.
RickF--in another lifetime I got to provide engineering skills at 15 jails, many psychiatric hospitals and centres for the developmentally challenged.
One day while working in a jail, I came out and someone had scattered roofing nails all over the exit from the jail! Surprise! No flats.
The next time there, I fooled them. Parked on the street, at the curb. Came out and couldn't open my driver's side door. They had backed a paddy wagon into my car! (brand new too!) Lots of witnesses. 15 in the back.
Glad I dont work there anymore.
DaveL
ps wouldn't take an M- coupe there!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #24
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Rick F--what an incredible adventure! I read it through. I'm speechless!
Thanks for an great experience.
DaveL

edit:
Last October we fulfilled a lifetime dream travelling to Newfoundland. It was an incredible trip. We drove in our 911; since sold.
I had an injured shoulder, so my wife drove the entire way. 8500 klicks. (Toronto to Newfoundland, via Nova Scotia) It's ok; she's a better driver than I am anyway.

Here's a link to photos I've posted. Newfoundland is huge. The Rock. There aren't many roads. Travel down one, turn around and come back.

Link: http://picasaweb.google.ca/1dlynch/N...iaOctober2009#

Sorry. I'm not good with computers. Lots of photos; click on one and it gets bigger.

DaveL

ps 2 days after we got off The Rock they had 21 cm of snow! In October! And the best thing about Newfoundland is the people!

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 07-01-2010 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #25
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
I'll have to look for that!
In October '07 we headed south--Skyway Parkway, Blue Ridge Parkway, Deal's Gap to Atlanta, and return (on the freeway, in the rain--top up.) I have a few photos I would love to share.

We took my wife's Boxster. Great trip (except it was hunting season).

DaveL
Tornto

edit: link to a few photos
Deal's Gap http://picasaweb.google.ca/1dlynch/DealSGap#

California Hwy 1: http://picasaweb.google.ca/1dlynch/CaliforniaHwy1#
Dave,

I enjoyed your pictures, too. (But just to make sure: Those CA seals were just taking a nap, right?) The Pacific Coast Highway is a beautiful setting. Thanks for posting the links.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #26
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post
Rick F,

Beautiful Trip... Hope you get that well deserved vacation sometime soon.

Dave
Dave,

Many thanks--and keep your fingers crossed on my behalf!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #27
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
Rick F--what an incredible adventure! I read it through. I'm speechless!
Thanks for an great experience.
DaveL

edit:
Last October we fulfilled a lifetime dream travelling to Newfoundland. It was an incredible trip. We drove in our 911; since sold.
I had an injured shoulder, so my wife drove the entire way. 8500 klicks. (Toronto to Newfoundland, via Nova Scotia) It's ok; she's a better driver than I am anyway.

Here's a link to photos I've posted. Newfoundland is huge. The Rock. There aren't many roads. Travel down one, turn around and come back.

Link: http://picasaweb.google.ca/1dlynch/N...iaOctober2009#

Sorry. I'm not good with computers. Lots of photos; click on one and it gets bigger.

DaveL

ps 2 days after we got off The Rock they had 21 cm of snow! In October! And the best thing about Newfoundland is the people!
Dave,

I'm glad you enjoyed the write-up for my ride with Neil Peart of Rush. It was quite an adventure, all right.

Your Newfoundland pictures were great. Some of them reminded me of your Pacific Coast Highway shots--except fewer surfers and more quaint fishing boats.

Just to whet everyone else's appetite and to encourage you to post these more often, here are two of my favorites from your collection:

Thanks again--and keep enjoying those trips!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #28
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Awesome pics Rick, I used to live 2 blocks away from ESP and it is quite the imposing force on that block. Brings back some great memories and halloweens there are always a blast.

Great job!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #29
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Story there Rick.
2nd trip to the left coast, Hwy 1.
Flew to LAX. Got there, rented a Miata and we filled it with stuff. Headed West. My wife parked at the first outlook.
I stood there breathing the air and just celebrating having arrived on the Pacific Coast.
She said, "Do you see them?"
"No."
And I looked. 1500 sea lions we were told by the attendant. Noisy. Smelled bad. Some were fighting. I hadn't noticed. Realized then that I was so stressed from work, and needed that vacation bad.
Took lots of photos. A young lady asked if I would send her some. Took her email address; sent some when we returned to Canada. Never heard--no thanks. That's ok.

Need maps?

www.madmaps.com

Need a motorcycle route planner for California? Great site at wwwdotpashnitdot com. His photos are incredible! Pashnit about motorcycles.

We've had 5 Miatas and the one we rented in California was a joy on canyon roads.

Thanks for the comment about my photos. The schooner--we were passengers on Gwyn and Chris' boat, Thinking of You 2. The schooner was one of 2 racing. They have their sailboat tied up on the dock at Marvin's Island. It's 42 feet in a protected waterway! Heaven! Chris was my best man; we all skied together for countless years.

Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia is incredible. Got to Deal's Gap and you can pick up a route planner for Nova Scotia at the MC store. I did in 2007...in our Boxster.

Glad to meet you here!

DaveL
Toronto
Cr-V

My wife drives the hot cars!
July 4 2010!

Newfoundland--Cape Spear--most Easterly point of North America///that's our Porsche, and my wife....

T.C.H. in Newfoundland (Trans Canada Highway)

Rainy day in October (but it wasn't snowing!)

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 07-06-2010 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #30
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Please excuse me for hijacking your thread. Got me started with the picture of the Schooner and leaf...

I love cars for what I can do with them...love touring and competing too.

Loved motorcycles--but that's another story!

DaveL

First jail I ever worked in (engineering audit after a riot, but the jail was still occupied by "trusted lifers") was Kingston Pen.
There was a riot in '71 (my graduating year.)
It was a couple of years later.
Being shown inthrough the door is quite an experience. Big. Huge. Wood. Door. Closes behind you and you know there's no way out. When you're cleared, they open the door in front of you...
Walked the whole jail.
The slate steps going up to the cell ranges were worn half way through. How many condemned feet does it take to do that, and how many years?
Found bird skeletons that no one had bothered to pick up. Just lying there.
Walk into a cell and turn around (so narrow!) Look out and you can see the sky. Built that way for pennance.
Later, read Roger Carron's book, "Go Boy" He described what went on during the riot; including killings and such.
Got out of there. Carron was a bank robber; a lifer.
It really bothered me. Really.

Being in your jail would really spook me. But I'm glad I looked.

DaveL

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 07-06-2010 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #31
biglet2002
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i Sport sedan

Rick! Those are fantastic pics! I toured ESP last year and went nuts with my camera.. For some reason, I'm really into textures, so I went insane with my macro on my digital camera.. especially the peeling paint.. The lighting in the cells was fascinating.. BTW, did you see the restored synagogue?
      08-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #32
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Truly appreciate your help finding this. Fascinating to read!

I've bookmarked it--it's specially good!
DaveL
Toronto
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #33
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Dave,

I'm glad you enjoyed the write-up for my ride with Neil Peart of Rush. It was quite an adventure, all right.

Your Newfoundland pictures were great. Some of them reminded me of your Pacific Coast Highway shots--except fewer surfers and more quaint fishing boats.

Just to whet everyone else's appetite and to encourage you to post these more often, here are two of my favorites from your collection:

Thanks again--and keep enjoying those trips!

Rick
Rick, we've been to Nova Scotia twice to see our old London Ontario neighbours. Both times we had a chance to sail with them. They have a home they built themselves on Marvin's Island (about an hour out of Halifax). Walk out the back door and down the path to the dock--they have their 42 foot sailboat tied up there.
The sailboat photo? Two schooners were racing. This photo turned out.
Our skipper for the moment? A local character who is a very successful painter. Great stories of the community and his memories.

He had just finished a total restoration of an old racing sailboat that had been a true derelict. A labour of love.

Thanks for your comments. No trips recently; just found and made our own an '06 limited edition Miata.

Regards,
DaveL
Toronto
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #34
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: white 07 Z4MC

Rick F you sir are awesome! You should start a website to contain all of your photography adventures
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #35
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

In this Kindle age I wonder if there is a way to "publish" a book on your own?

My Father wrote a book just before he died. Orian, Mighty Warrior. About his experience serving on a Brittish cruiser.

The stress darn near killed him; he had lots of type setting issues working from his computer...and there weren't many publishers that would do business then, self published.

Just a thought...

DaveL
Appreciate 0