ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

The Juniata River by Z4

From time to time, my motorcycle and car trips have taken me to spots along the Juniata River in Pennsylvania, and I'd always found it to be scenic and inviting. On Saturday, July 3, I decided it might be fun to try to follow the river as closely as possible for as long as possible. I learned that it's a placid, slow-moving river that is a favorite for lazy canoe, inner-tube, or raft trips on hot summer days—as this one was. And it's beautiful.

The Official Trip started in Duncannon, PA, where the Juniata River empties into the Susquehanna River. The old train station was in good shape, although the trains no longer stop here.

Here's the mouth of the Juniata, with the Susquehanna in the distance.

Did I mention the "placid" and "beautiful" part yet?

On any trip such as this, one naturally encounters unexpected places and sights. In this instance, I had stumbled across the previously undiscovered Westfalia Burial Ground, known only to a few local priests and, of course, the dying Westfalia themselves… (In fairness, I love these campers. During my racing years, I frequently camped in one together with my crew chief, Phil Sibert, and his wife Hope. They're models of efficiency. The VW Bus campers that is, although Phil and Hope are also quite good in that respect!)

My route occasionally led me onto short stretches of dirt roads, which were not a problem for the trusty Z4. But it's not every day that you see a sign like this:

The western/southern bank of the Juniata is not overly developed—in fact, much of it is untouched. From time to time, however, there would be signs of civilization such as this vintage cruiser.

At other times, pleasant little towns would appear. Newport, PA was one such, with terrific old houses and signs of former industry.

Thompsontown was another and featured the St. Stephens Episcopal Church from 1825 (the oldest church in Juniata County, in case you were wondering).

Thompsontown also had its share of beautiful old homes, although this one seems to be taking a back seat to someone's sports car…

Before long, it was back to the quiet splendor of an untouched river.

Which is not to say that there never was any civilization along these banks. If you look carefully in this picture, you'll see what looks like a structure back in the woods a little ways. A short hike and a clamber through a ditch later, it proved indeed to be the burned-out shell of someone's house. Sad.

Outside of Port Royal, I realized that I was in Amish country. The signs? First, an abandoned one-room schoolhouse…

Second, lots of laundry drying on clotheslines, dominated by plain color men's pants and somewhat brighter women's dresses…

And last, the frequent hitching posts, complete with sturdy horses. In fairness, I also went by a number of buggies and wagons, and the Amish families always waved back. Much more reliable in this regard than passing motorcyclists!

Port Royal was probably my favorite small town on this trip. On this Saturday, the entire town was one huge yard sale, with all the town's people out in force and numerous visitors. I stopped at the largest community yard sale site and bought some excellent fried chicken from "Uncle Dave," an Amish farmer, and his sisters. They also offered Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer, which hit the spot on this exceedingly hot day.

Port Royal's bridge over the Juniata was scenic. Note the wooden steps on the tree in the foreground—it looked to be a perfect spot for climbing out over the river and jumping in. On this day, however, everyone was at the yard sale.

The town's train station appeared to feature a Ferrari-powered train, as suggested by the prancing-horse symbol on the grill of the locomotive.

There were numerous interesting old houses, in varying states of repair.

It turned out that Port Royal is a popular put-in spot for canoe-rental companies. A number of folks are just getting underway in this picture, with help from the rental company staff. Note the couple in the green canoe in the right foreground: they've already run up on some rocks, a good 60 seconds into the trip! Fortunately, they were having fun.

Another family begins their journey, as does an an apparent motorcyclist in the foreground.

Meanwhile, farther up-river, all was quiet. Anyone know what the purple plants were?

From time to time, water-folk would appear on the river, and all of them appeared to be enjoying the day immensely. Some preferred to be in a group, including this enthusiastic bunch, who may have been oblivious to the fact that their raft was in the process of sinking!

Others preferred to float along in solitude. Given the 95-degree heat, I was envious of all of them.

As best I could tell, there was no racetrack anywhere near Racetrack Road. Nearby, however, was this fortress. I assumed it had been an armory, VFW building, or something similar originally, but now it was clearly being used as a home. (Note the basketball hoop and clothes drying in the back.)

I made a side trip across the Juniata to McVeytown, which proved to have stately churches…

…an imposing Freemason Lodge (still in active use)…

…and decorative old houses. Yet another place worthy of a walking tour some day.

Meanwhile, back at the Juniata River, all remained peaceful and inviting.

Nuts! You'd think I would have been smart enough to park in the shade on a day like this!

There were lots of rolled-up haybales dotting the countryside. Although many were just sitting in fields, apparently it's a good idea to keep them from getting too wet. This fastidious farmer arranged cover for his haybales…

…wherever he could find it! (I wonder what the living room looked like…)

Sometimes, while looking for one thing, you find something else entirely. On the outskirts of Huntingdon, PA, I was looking for Standing Stone Creek. It was easy to locate, but I hadn't expected to encounter an abandoned, ivy-clad stone bridge over the creek. (Actually, there were two of them; one was for cars and the other for trains. Neither had seen any use in a very long time.)

Here is Standing Stone Creek, feeding into the Juniata River. Why the particular interest in this spot? Well, there had been an Onojutta-Haga (Juniata) Indian council ground at this site, hundreds of years ago, and an Indian village called Standing Stone. The name refers to a 14-foot high stone pillar, about 6 inches square, that used to mark the center of the council grounds and was etched with petroglyphs, said to record the history of the village. The stone is believed to have served as a trail guidepost or navigational marker. The Indians reportedly took it with them in 1754 when they left the area (having been bought out by European settlers). It has never been found.

Oh, did I mention that "Juniata" comes from the Iriquoian word "Onojutta," which means "people of the standing stone"?

Fort Standing Stone later stood at this same site to protect against Indian attacks. It's long gone, but upstream on the banks of Standing Stone Creek I found the Epiphany of Our Lord Orthodox Church.

The Juniata River is formed near Huntingdon by the confluence of the Little Juniata and the Raystown Branch, so I had arrived at the end of my by-the-Juniata trip. While I was here, however, I thought I'd take a quick look at Juniata College. On my way there, I went by this "barn-find" project. Any idea what it is? I don't know my panel trucks very well.

The college was scenic but empty, the students having long since traveled home for the summer.

I headed off for home, via Everett, PA and assorted back roads before giving in and slabbing it back to Catonsville on I-70. Along the way, I had to stop for the occasional farm vista…

…the occasional motorboat lawn ornament, complete with tree growing through the hull…

…the occasional wonderful old abandoned farmhouse…

…and the occasional covered bridge (this one being the Halls Mill Bridge, which I'd encountered once before).

At a total length of about 375 hot, sweltering, but visually spectacular miles, it was a great trip. In many places, the roads twisted and turned up and over mountains, providing driving pleasure to go along with the history and beauty of the area.

And the next time I tour the Juniata, I'm going to do it in a canoe (or non-sinking raft).

Rick F.

Last edited by Rick F.; 09-22-2015 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Great pics and sounds like a good drive!
      07-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

As always Rick, Great read and photographs. Floating down rivers like that is a ton of fun. There is one around here, San Marcos, that some of my buddies have floated and they keep telling me I need to check it out. I really want to but things have been hectic.

You should start a thread with just the links to all your adventures so that they are readily available and don't get lost in the shuffle of the forum threads.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Ubermensch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: white 07 Z4MC

Love the HDR, gorgeous photos!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Great pics and sounds like a good drive!
nmulax,

Thanks! I didn't write a lot about the roads themselves, but there were a number of modest mountain passes that were fun, and most of the road surfaces were in good shape. I enjoyed the driving aspect a lot, and I'd recommend the same route to any Z4 drivers or motorcycle riders.

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

amazing photography. I felt I was along with you for the ride

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
As always Rick, Great read and photographs. Floating down rivers like that is a ton of fun. There is one around here, San Marcos, that some of my buddies have floated and they keep telling me I need to check it out. I really want to but things have been hectic.

You should start a thread with just the links to all your adventures so that they are readily available and don't get lost in the shuffle of the forum threads.
Blind,

I appreciate the positive feedback! On July 3rd, with all the heat, I was more than ready to join the rafters. It's been a long time since I was in a canoe, but I used to do a lot as a teenager--it's time to give it another try.

Thanks for the thought about the "table of contents" thread. I'll see what I can do.

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
Love the HDR, gorgeous photos!
Ubermensch,

Great, glad you enjoyed them!

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
amazing photography. I felt I was along with you for the ride
krnnerdboy,

Thanks very much. Once you start down "the dark side" of HDR photography, it's pretty hard to go back. It's way more work than regular pictures, but it brings out so much more of the detail in dark and light areas that would otherwise just get lost.

Of course, the frustrating part about these trips is the pictures I don't take. After driving by something that looks really interesting, but being unable to conveniently go back for it, I kick myself for miles!

The best picture I never got was on a motorcycle trip a couple of years ago, in Amish country. On a narrow road with a lot of fairly quick traffic, I spotted two little Amish girls walking down a farm lane, wearing their plain dark dresses and white bonnets--and each one holding several brightly colored balloons! It was a wonderful sight and, with their backs to me, they wouldn't have noticed if I'd stopped for a picture. But there was no place to stop and I had traffic behind me. By the time I could have turned around and gone back, they would have reached the farm house, and the picture would have been gone. Curses, foiled again!

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

beautiful and artistic!

That is really all I can say, you have a true talent.
      07-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
beautiful and artistic!

That is really all I can say, you have a true talent.
crfine,

Thanks, I really appreciate your comment.

Once you're off the Interstate, natural opportunities for photos just seem to be everywhere. That's the good news; the bad news is that due to all the photos I keep taking, there's only 4 GB left on my 300 GB hard drive! Time to weed out the klinkers, I guess--but that's a lot less fun than going out and taking more pictures.

Thanks again.

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #12
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
Hi Rick,

Thanks for sharing your story, I always look forward to your posts

Chris
      07-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
You can get a good 1TB external drive for all of those pictures for about $100. I would much rather that than have you delete some of your great memories. I love reading through these threads and then being envious you live in such a beautiful part of the country and have the time to take trips like this!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You can get a good 1TB external drive for all of those pictures for about $100. I would much rather that than have you delete some of your great memories. I love reading through these threads and then being envious you live in such a beautiful part of the country and have the time to take trips like this!
+1

Not time to delete, time to pick up another drive.
      07-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #15
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote View Post
Hi Rick,

Thanks for sharing your story, I always look forward to your posts

Chris
Chris,

Thanks--I'm really glad that you enjoy them.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #16
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hawkeye,

Thanks for the advice, which I'll follow-up on. I still remember paying $50 for a box of 10 blank 3.5" 128k disks for my new 128k Macintosh computer in 1984. Seems like times have changed...

This really is a beautiful part of the country, and I thoroughly enjoy exploring it and sharing the results with fellow Z4 enthusiasts.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #17
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Rick,

Awesome! Not sure how anxious I would be about heading down a road that says "Travel at your own risk". When you see a sign like that it makes you wonder if it should just read warnings of dire peril await those who dare to venture further. (jk)

Surprised that the burnt house still had some structure to it, would imagine being out away from things it would have been completely destroyed.

The abandoned one-room schoolhouse also surprises me, I thought the Amish didn't like to waste anything... and that building looks like it will be there awhile.

The old armory would make a neat home... looks like a mini castle. After spending two years in Germany I have this thing for castles.

Panel Truck, looks like a late 50's Ford... Close to the '58 shown here.
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/jim_duell.htm

Sorry for the long reply, just one more comment... I'm impressed how you manage to get everything in that you did in a day and still put 375 MI on the car.

Dave

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP

Last edited by WhoU4; 08-01-2010 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2010, 01:53 AM   #18
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Wow. Simply another amazing thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #19
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post
Rick,

Awesome! Not sure how anxious I would be about heading down a road that says "Travel at your own risk". When you see a sign like that it makes you wonder if it should just read warnings of dire peril await those who dare to venture further. (jk)

Surprised that the burnt house still had some structure to it, would imagine being out away from things it would have been completely destroyed.

The abandoned one-room schoolhouse also surprises me, I thought the Amish didn't like to waste anything... and that building looks like it will be there awhile.

The old armory would make a neat home... looks like a mini castle. After spending two years in Germany I have this thing for castles.

Panel Truck, looks like a late 50's Ford... Close to the '58 shown here.
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/jim_duell.htm

Sorry for the long reply, just one more comment... I'm impressed how you manage to get everything in that you did in a day and still put 375 MI on the car.

Dave
Dave,

I'm glad you enjoyed the write-up. It really was a fun trip, and a lot more interesting things turned up than I expected. (I was expecting mostly a beautiful river, which worked out as planned.)

The "Travel At Your Own Risk" sign did make me pause for a moment, since I had never seen anything like it before. But the road wasn't nearly as bad as some others I've been on in the Z4, and nowhere near as bad as a couple I took the R1200GS on (see Ghost Towns of the Upper Potomac for an example).

I was surprised, too, by the abandoned one-room schoolhouse. It was clearly abandoned, and I assumed it had been an Amish school, in part because it was in the midst of several Amish farms and in part because there were no electrical wires to the building. I'm guessing that the population of Amish kids dwindled to the point that keeping the schoolhouse up wasn't justified. Presumably, they're being taught at one of the farmhouses.

As for the panel truck, a "vintage expert" on a BMW motorcycle club board believes it's a 1957 or 1958 Chevrolet panel truck--the equivalent of the "Carryall" model from those days. (BTW, he's both an expert on vintage U.S. vehicles and "personally vintage," sort of like me!)

Thanks for your comments!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Wow. Simply another amazing thread.
Finn,

Thanks very much! I haven't been able to get a drive in for 5 weeks now, as a result of work craziness. (If you're curious, Google "Richard Foster" and "Medicare.")

However, I hope to get out tomorrow, so stayed tuned for another report from somewhere...

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #21
bdejong11129
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 87 E30

Very nice to see "proper" use of HDR to capture the scene while not making it look obscene...

I love photography myself and it is one of the things I alm looking forward to doing in the Z4. It is a car made for long back road trips.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #22
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Quote:
My thought too! You said it well.

Truly enjoyed reading about this trip. Your writing reminds me of Peter Egan's writing (at Road & Track) I always feel like your companion as I start reading about your journey.

Regards,
DaveL
Appreciate 0