ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

That moment when...

That moment when your project just goes down the tubes instantly. Was finishing up my vanos rebuilding and expansion tank replacement and was just finishing up connections when one of the hose clips went flying through the air. Not one BMW dealer has the hose in stock, well at least within a 100 miles. So now it sits dead in the water until one comes from who knows where. Seems kind of crazy that you can't just buy a clip or at least have the whole hose in stock. Parts are sure getting hard to get local for these cars anymore. Oh well probably should change the hose anyway, just a bummer is all. The point of this is to warn you to be very aware of those clips, they sure can fly.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

That sucks
Just FYI, the clips do not need to be removed. Push in the clip to remove the hose.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
That sucks
Just FYI, the clips do not need to be removed. Push in the clip to remove the hose.
Yep, I was trying to get the small one out to the unlocked spot on the two connections to the expansion tank and the thing came all the way out at once.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

Exactly where I am right now with my android nav project. Waiting for a couple of replacement parts that I accidentally damaged at 99% done
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 03:55 AM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Its generally a fear of mine as well and as I'm getting older, my nutz are shrinking when I'm thinking of taking on larger projects....... sad.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:47 PM   #7
MPLICIT
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4MC S65B40A Swap

That moment when you do an epic brake stand and donuts and have to ride home at idle because your rod bearings finally went out...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #8
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominizer View Post
Its generally a fear of mine as well and as I'm getting older, my nutz are shrinking when I'm thinking of taking on larger projects....... sad.
Same. And when I do take on a project and something goes wrong that I instantly assess as adding potentially a substantial amount of time...well the profanity just starts flying out of my mouth.

I really wish I had an extra garage or driveway space to take on a basket case project car. Something that wasn't running and didn't have to be put back together by the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

I am working on my Polaris Jagged X, needed to have head work done. I was reassembling and found a loose bolt on the transmission to engine mount. I figured since it was loose I should loosen all of the other mount bolts and then torque them to the correct specifications and install lock-tight. One bolt would not move, the broken 15mm socket should have been a clue, second socket and the bolt broke... now I have to pull the engine to get the bolt out

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
I am working on my Polaris Jagged X, needed to have head work done. I was reassembling and found a loose bolt on the transmission to engine mount. I figured since it was loose I should loosen all of the other mount bolts and then torque them to the correct specifications and install lock-tight. One bolt would not move, the broken 15mm socket should have been a clue, second socket and the bolt broke... now I have to pull the engine to get the bolt out

Steve
<sigh>
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #11
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Man don't you know that darn new hose managed to get a small slice in it. Have no clue how it happened but I saw poofs of steam coming from under the hood and sure enough a leak. Only thing I can think of is it happened while getting oil services done a few days ago, they were the last to have the hood open. I had saved my old house so I just air ground the solid clamps off and switched them to screw type instead, swapped the o rings and clips off the new one and I'm up and running again. I'm about ready to keep one of those hoses always in stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:11 AM   #12
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post

Steve
I actually worked out quite well, I got a hoist from one of my clients and pulled it myself 900 cc does not weigh that much. I was able to clean off the engine a bit and install the new parts. It is back in, only have to reinstall exhaust and air intake systems. Got much closer to completed. It is not a Z by any matter, but it is another toy that is lots of fun (maintenance hog).

Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #13
03Z
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i Sport 6 MT

yep, after tearing apart the whole drivetrain to do a clutch replacement and then finally getting everything back together... won't go into gear. trans is out again.
Appreciate 0