ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Gianna has new shoes...

Ordered my new tires (Continental Extreme Contact DW) from TireRack on Sunday. They called me on Monday just to be sure the sizes I ordered online were correct (non stock) and they arrived at my installer on Tuesday. 235/40R18 and 265/35R18's.
My choices were between the Direzza Sports Star Spec's and the Continentals. I chose the DW's (not the DWS's) due to their better wet weather capability.

Had them installed this morning. The 'RoadForce' numbers for all tires are between 5-8... The right front wheel/tire did NOT require any weights. NONE.

The pics are not that good since the light was fading..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Cool I'm eager to hear your opinions on these.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
After about a 100 miles, these tires are several steps up from the OEM's....
They seem to dampen out some of the harder bumps and ruts in the road. While I did not get the ///M for it's comfortable ride, they do make it nicer.. not much but noticeable. Even my wife noticed.

Even with the release agent not worn off yet, the DSC does not kick on as much as the old Continentals. With the old OEM's, DSC would kick in a lot in 2nd gear. Now I really have to try to get DSC to intervene in 2nd gear.
Turn in is crisper and just feels more planted.

I will really put them to the test the second week of Sept. when I have another track weekend.

You have to figure that the OEM Continentals are first generation tires and these Continentals are fourth generation tires...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Glad to hear you like the tires. Got any profile shots from further away? Im curious to see what effect the lower profile tires would have on wheel gap.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Car looks great! Ever thing about lowering the stance? It would look pretty nice with that wheel / tire setup!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s II View Post
Car looks great! Ever thing about lowering the stance? It would look pretty nice with that wheel / tire setup!
Yes I have.

Each mod must have a specific purpose though.
I have thought about a set of Dinan springs to get rid of the progressives for a better on feel and lower the car about an 1", but I want to do another track session or two before I start to research that option.

Not yet ready for Coil-Overs.

I am still looking at your new Forgestar F14 (18") wheels but $1250 each is a bit pricey at this moment in time. Though, I would love the unsprung weight decrease.

Both of those upgrades I can't justify due to job schedules, eg, limited track weekends.

I do have a track weekend in Sept. That will proof in my new alignment specs based on the stock parts. Or disprove them....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Well then.....you should go ahead and order the Forgestar wheels since they're $1249 per set!

They're one of the best, affordable options that's available on the market. Call me at (714) 582-3330 x 8004 for more details.
Appreciate 0