ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-13-2017, 02:03 AM   #23
conceptautogroupla
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
NickyC, years later after thinking you'd sell it, I still catch you bragging about your sweet ride! I'm glad you didn't sell it man.

I have RPI scoop, Euro headers, DKF S-Pipe, stock X-Pipe, and RDSport exhaust. I love how my car sounds inside the cabin, specially in low RPM's (almost like a 8cyl) but I feel like it's not loud enough. I plan on getting Eventuri/M-Gruppe intake and a tune. That should make the engine sound louder but if I get the Rogue Engineering X-Pipe, does anyone know if removing the resonator will give me more sound and power?

Removing the resonator on the Z increases RASP, the sound a tad bit. Not worth it. As far as power gains, I believe not a single hp increase.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #24
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I had a Euro header, DKF Section 1 (running 300 cell cats), stock x-pipe, and SS Powerloops. I swapped the x-pipe with RE and it did get a bit louder. Pretty subtle, but noticeable. Rasp marginally increased.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #25
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Ugh, this is the dilemma I'm in right now. I have stock headers, but RE S/Xpipes and the Stromung exhaust. I LOVE the way the car sounds, in fact, it's the first BMW engine six cylinder I like! There's no rasp, there's pops all over the place once I take my foot of the gas, and you can even "burble" the exhaust a bit if you just stab the gas pedal for an instant, it's a hoot!

I've had my eye on headers forever, but if I go straight through I think it's going to sound really obnoxious. As well, from what I've seen on youtube, these cars just don't sound very good with straight through as the rasp seems to come back in a big way. If my car is going to be that loud, it better be fast too. Nothing is worse than a loud slow ass car, so I'd need to be supercharged before ever considering going with a straight through setup.

I'm thinking about leaving well enough alone and using the headers/tune money towards an eventual supercharger purchase. I just think at this point I'm married to this car (I love it, and what else can you get under $50k that even comes close?) so I'm thinking long term.

Good luck OP, let us know how it goes!
Personally, I would not want a straight through system on this car for 2 reasons:
1) The S54 is a finicky exhaust to get the sound right IMHO. Our cars aren't like the E46 M3s, but I've heard a few videos that I'm just not a fan of. With full cat delete, you'll have a rasp and that annoying buzzing sound. I6's don't sound good when you go full cat delete unless you've got the right exhaust and some sort of resonator at the very minimum

2) I've got full cat delete on my E92 M3 (just the stock resonator with Eisenmann Race, sounds absolutely epic). I'd never do this on my Roadster because when you come to a light, you'll smell all the fumes. I love the smell of "race" cars as much as the next person, but I don't want to show up to work or dinner smelling like car exhaust.

if I were in your shoes and absolutely want headers, I'd just get headers and put stock S-pipes back on. You should be close to where you are now (I think)

P.S. I agree with you about the Z4M. For the money, I really struggle to think what else I'd rather have. Out of the E36 M3, E92 M3 and Z4M, it's easily the currently move driven car in the fleet. Still super happy 3 months into the ownership.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #26
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Bummer well that sucks! I'm not sure what the rasp actually sounds like but from what I've read nobody likes it
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #27
VindieselJetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4m

Update- Enjoying the sound a bit more these days. Really don't want to sell the Stromungs, so trying to adapt to it. Essentially I love it with the top down, but dislike with top up.
Also the car gets looks & attention now that it never did with the stock exhaust.

Last edited by VindieselJetta; 04-17-2017 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0