ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Replace output shaft seal - bolt questions

I was changing my oil a few weeks ago and noticed my passenger side output shaft seal is leaking a bit and it's a little moist around the output flange. I ordered a new seal, and in my quest to find a torque spec for the output shaft bolts (6x E12), I read that the bolts cannot be reused .

Realoem says the bolt I need is 33211227664, however I recall finding a different PN (26111229536) from an E46 thread. Anybody know which is correct? Looks like one is M10x45, and the other is M10x23.

Regarding tightening torque, I'm finding lots of different specs. 100 nm from TIS, which I tend to trust. Also seen 64 nm? 59 ft-lbs?

Anybody have any input on this? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Torque spec is 100Nm.
64Nm is a spec from an e46 with small engine (316 or so; m8 bolts).

Tis says not to reuse bolts+platelets, but I've reused mine maybe 4 times.
With a lot of things I find not reusing bolts a bit exaggerated. (like the bolts from the front aluminium support frame etc).
But that's my personal opinion.

However I always use the (tis) torque specs. With used bolts mostly with a (ceramic) antiseize (lightly).
For some support frames (for example the (hollow) rear aluminium support bars) I use 10% less torque with the anti seize.
Anti seize (and oil) have a slight effect that the torque friction is lower (about 10%), so it is easy to crush things.
I use the anti seize because most bolts are (passified) zinc plated. Using them a second time means that the threads can be partially zincless as tightening them the first time will cause fretting on the zinc.

Be sure not to damage the E head (inverse torx) on het bolts. You don't want to strip those...
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 03-15-2014 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Thanks there aren't many posts around for this repair on a z4m, so I think a lot of the e46 threads I read were confusing me. I ended up ordering the m10x45 bolts anyway, but it's good to know that if they're the wrong size I can still use the originals.
Appreciate 0