ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Tekarbon CF Mirror Covers Installed

I apologize in advance for the quality of the pics, can only do so much with an iPhone at night, haha.

The mirror covers installed in a breeze, thanks to a very clear DIY writeup that NickyC did here. The entire install took maybe an hour, but would have been much quicker if I had proper lighting. And believe me, if I can install a set of these, anyone can.

I was pleased that Tekarbon adjusted how they wrap the mirror covers so that the CF goes inside the lip/edge of the mirror opening far enough that you never see bare plastic, even with the mirrors adjusted. I was also very impressed with how high quality the product was, perfect weave, perfect finish. These covers are truly a work of art and worth every penny, IMO. Kudos to Eric and the rest of the gang at Tekarbon.

On to the pictures:

Name:  IMG_0987.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  510.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0991.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  474.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0992.JPG
Views: 833
Size:  451.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0990.JPG
Views: 817
Size:  470.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0989.JPG
Views: 822
Size:  563.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0988.JPG
Views: 798
Size:  456.8 KB

Name:  image-1.jpeg
Views: 701
Size:  442.3 KB

Name:  image-2.jpeg
Views: 716
Size:  432.5 KB

Name:  image-3.jpeg
Views: 711
Size:  410.1 KB

Name:  image-4.jpeg
Views: 667
Size:  427.4 KB

Name:  image-5.jpeg
Views: 687
Size:  415.9 KB

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 723
Size:  514.8 KB

Last edited by No_Dominion; 12-14-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

very nice looking
      12-12-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Looks good. Glad the CF wraps all the way inside on your's. I wasn't so lucky but they're still a nice mod.
      12-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp
Looks good. Glad the CF wraps all the way inside on your's. I wasn't so lucky but they're still a nice mod.
How long ago did you get yours? Sucks yours don't wrap all the way around. Maybe if you talk to them they'd do an exchange?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
Neither was I.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion View Post
How long ago did you get yours? Sucks yours don't wrap all the way around. Maybe if you talk to them they'd do an exchange?
fat chance. I tried talking to them about an exchange for one mirror that had quite a few imperfections under the clearcoat ............ basic answer, sorry, there is a 7 day warranty. Take it off and send it back and we'll sand it down and reclear. That would involve me re-installing the old mirror, then removing the old mirror and re-installing the "fixed" mirror........... more work than I was up for as busy as my job is right now. I volunteered to buy a single mirror, then ship the defective one back for a refund but was told no. Glad yours are flawless. Moral of this story: Check them out immediately when you receive them and if the quality is not up to standard, request an exchange at once.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
Quote:
fat chance. I tried talking to them about an exchange for one mirror that had quite a few imperfections under the clearcoat ............ basic answer, sorry, there is a 7 day warranty. Take it off and send it back and we'll sand it down and reclear. That would involve me re-installing the old mirror, then removing the old mirror and re-installing the "fixed" mirror........... more work than I was up for as busy as my job is right now. I volunteered to buy a single mirror, then ship the defective one back for a refund but was told no. Glad yours are flawless. Moral of this story: Check them out immediately when you receive them and if the quality is not up to standard, request an exchange at once.
Hmmm, that really blows, but I can see how much of a hassle that would be just to get them fixed. Can't say I'd want to do that much work, either.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmmm, that really blows, but I can see how much of a hassle that would be just to get them fixed. Can't say I'd want to do that much work, either.
I agree. Yours look good though, so maybe these and other forums commenting on the CF not wrapping far enough into the mirror, and the weave not being a mirror image so the right and left mirrors look symetrical, and imperfections in the clearcoat, have resulted in an improved product and better quality control. I wish mine looked as good as yours

John
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I agree. Yours look good though, so maybe these and other forums commenting on the CF not wrapping far enough into the mirror, and the weave not being a mirror image so the right and left mirrors look symetrical, and imperfections in the clearcoat, have resulted in an improved product and better quality control. I wish mine looked as good as yours

John
Sorry guys, wasn't trying to rub it in, I honestly didn't realize there were so many problems in the past with these.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Looks good, welcome to the club! I guess I got lucky, mine are an older pair and the CF did wrap in so you can't see the plastic even when the mirror is adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
same here.... mine wrap around but not all the way in.
On mine the CF is feathered at the far end to wrap around;
Its OK but I wasn't exactly happy with the quality when I got them.

These new ones are much better than the early models.

I'm actually going to go back to OE covers in the spring.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry guys, wasn't trying to rub it in, I honestly didn't realize there were so many problems in the past with these.
No man, you're cool. I am genuinely happy recent members here have received a higher quality product.

John
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No man, you're cool. I am genuinely happy recent members here have received a higher quality product.

John
Thanks, I appreciate it. Just got to see them in the daylight for the first time, and damn they look good.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Do you have a full picture of the car with these installed? thinking of doing this but would would like to see how they balance since my color is close to yours.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #15
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch
Do you have a full picture of the car with these installed? thinking of doing this but would would like to see how they balance since my color is close to yours.
Not yet, but I'll try to get some today. I'm working at the moment but might be able to take some pics provided the light stays around long enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, daylight pics will have to wait until tomorrow, had a case that ran late and daylight faded on me.

I might use this as an excuse to pick up a new digital camera tomorrow, haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #17
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Okay, new pics are up.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #18
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Wow. looks good . Thank you!
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch
Wow. looks good . Thank you!
No problem, sorry it took so long.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
Roadie
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Is your car "space gray"? The CF covers look very good in these photos! Sweeeeet!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie
Is your car "space gray"? The CF covers look very good in these photos! Sweeeeet!
Silver Grey Metallic, just the quality of light made it look a little different.
Appreciate 0