ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Vir 5/18 - 5/20 2012

This was a three day PCA event and it was a very good event.

This was also my first track outing since my 'track issue' back in Nov. Since this was the case, I deliberately put myself back a run group so I could have an instructor in the car. Even though he signed me off the first day it was advantageous because he showed my where I was unbalancing the car due to how I was coming off of the brakes and how to manage my tires when they started to get a little greasy..

I don't normally record lap times. I just want to go have fun so I don't drive flat out all the time. I usually do one 'hot lap' a day. But for some reason my buddy did record my hottest lap. 2:21 a damn good time..even for prepped cars.

This on a totally stock car with street tires (NT05's) and combination street/track (if there is such a thing) brakes... I now think that I am getting the most out of the car without any go fast parts bolted on....

If I want to go faster, I need dedicated track tires (NT01's maybe) and a dedicated racing pad. We will see. Not sure I want to go that direction. Still thinking of a dedicated track car and that has the wife's seal of approval.

My entrance speed into the uphill 'S's' is around 110Mph. 115 and I am uncomfortable. Speeds on both straights is around 135Mph. I can go faster but it really is not worth it.

I did find that the Porsche's lines through the turns is different than a BMW. It is more of a sweeping line.

We also had an Audi RS8. Wicked fast on the straights but slower in the turns.

We had two major track incidents. A GT3 damaged his entire right side out of turn four (4) and a E46M3 was totaled. For some reason the instructor was driving.....

I was also running two different sets of experimental brake pad formula's from a major brake manufacture. I did not like the first formula but did like the second one.. No, I will not disclose who it is.

Enjoy.

I use my buddies GoPro for some video action.

I for the life of me cannot figure out how to embed a youtube video..

Here is a video of the camera mounted on the front splitter. It shows my controlled 'off'. I just knew I was not going to make it so I did not try. Randy called me the Lawnmower man....

Here the camera is mounted outside on the windshield. I removed the audio.

And this one is from inside the car. As you can see, I still need to get just a tad bit smoother on the steering input. Not much though.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Congrats man, glad you're back in it. That sucks for the m3... I honestly don't know how I'd react if that were me. I'm not crazy about instructors driving. NASA NE and NJ CCA usually have instructors start off the first session of each day but it's usually yellow flag anyway. Damn I bet the guy didn't even have track insurance neither.

Btw do you ever make it out to Summit? I'll be there 2x this summer... once with NASA MA and once with NJ CCA.
      05-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post

I don't normally record lap times. I just want to go have fun so I don't drive flat out all the time. I usually do one 'hot lap' a day. But for some reason my buddy did record my hottest lap. 2:21 a damn good time..even for prepped cars.
You don't happen to have said "hot lap" on video do you? I don't want you to take it the wrong way but after watching your videos, they don't support your claims of a 2:21 lap at all unless the videos posted were your warmup laps. If the videos are indicative of how fast you usually go around the track then *I* don't want to be on the track the same time as you. It reminded me of that Honda Fit that kept getting in my way the first time I went to VIR back in February.
Appreciate 0