ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-17-2010, 02:03 AM   #111
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
The mounts combined with MTL have made a huge difference, especially in the heat. Stop by your local indie shop and feel them out for replacing them; only takes 1/2 hour at the most if they are experienced.
Yep, I was quoted a 1/2 hour's labor to do it as well. Going to have the mounts done along with coding the alarm (100 bucks for that) all at the same time towards the end of the month (after the new mounts arrive).

Indie shop said getting the mounts was a smart move as the stock are "marshmallows" resulting in the symptoms we've all experienced. Including issues during hard braking/high G right hand turns (I think the Kurgan mentioned that hard left hand turns, with the old mounts, were smooth which makes sense in this context), grind on 1st to 2nd shifts.)

The working theory at this point is that the stock mounts just aren't up to the task of managing the power of this motor nor coping with the stress of powering through high G right turns under heavy braking. Heat just makes matters worse as it increases the stock mount flex. This flex issue would explain why, in many cases, applying pressure to the left while shifting first to second appears to help reduce or eliminate the issue for that particular manifestation of the problem. But "technique" won't save denied shifts or potential miss shifts under high G cornering....hence I think mounts are particularly smart if you track or autox your car.

The transmission, synchros, and etc. probably aren't the issue, especially given that the mounts have "cured" issues for several here. I think we're on to something. We'll have to see how this theory works out as more people install the new mounts, but I'm hopeful we're on to something.

The good news is that it's a 150 dollar max fix; 50 bucks or so if you do it yourself. It may be wise to do this swap while under warranty, as the stiffer mounts will put more stress on motor mount bolts....
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 02:20 AM   #112
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
After hearing everyone's experience with the upgraded transmission mounts i've went ahead and bought a set myself. They should be arriving in a few days and i'll install them at home.
      07-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #113
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

The working theory at this point is that the stock mounts just aren't up to the task of managing the power of this motor nor coping with the stress of powering through high G right turns under heavy braking. Heat just makes matters worse as it increases the stock mount flex. This flex issue would explain why, in many cases, applying pressure to the left while shifting first to second appears to help reduce or eliminate the issue for that particular manifestation of the problem. But "technique" won't save denied shifts or potential miss shifts under high G cornering....hence I think mounts are particularly smart if you track or autox your car.

The transmission, synchros, and etc. probably aren't the issue, especially given that the mounts have "cured" issues for several here. I think we're on to something. We'll have to see how this theory works out as more people install the new mounts, but I'm hopeful we're on to something.

The good news is that it's a 150 dollar max fix; 50 bucks or so if you do it yourself. It may be wise to do this swap while under warranty, as the stiffer mounts will put more stress on motor mount bolts....
It definitely helps and for me, hard left is when the shifts were butter, hard right was crunchy. I did these in stages, mounts first for 2 months and then to the MTL. The MTL has cured the summertime "thin fluid feeling" 100%, mounts made the shifts more precise and predictable. My indie shop also agreed, they showed me they pushed their thumbs into the old mounts, when you see the RE mounts, they are beefy. He did mention he wouldn't recommend the urethane for the street, or at least our streets, he feared vibration and damage similar to using urethane in the control arms.
      07-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #114
jbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

I have definately experienced these issues. Today I did an autox which was a little higher speed 3rd gear some. I was denied a 1-2 shift accelerating 2 times and then denied the 3-2 shift slowing down every single time. I had to settle for going back to 3rd gear most of the time and just keep trying to get back into second later during the course. It was very fustrating and I lost a lot of time. I never get this on the street but I am not driving like this either. At last weeks autox I had a 1-2 gear grind 2 times, which was the first time I had ever had this happen. For those that have not done Autox/track before you are driving the car at and past the limits, 100% acceleration, 100% braking, past limit of traction on turns, usually just controlling a slide. You are definately driving much harder than on the street, this is why I don't ever get this problem on the street. Oh it was also hot today, 102.

I was running with the BMW club today and all the guys who had E36 and E46 M3's had upgraded their transmission mounts as most experienced this same problem.

So if I do this upgrade what our the downsides? This car is also driven on the street quite a bit, more than autoX.

Last edited by jbh; 07-17-2010 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #115
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh View Post
I have definately experienced these issues. Today I did an autox which was a little higher speed 3rd gear some. I was denied a 1-2 shift accelerating 2 times and then denied the 3-2 shift slowing down every single time. I had to settle for going back to 3rd gear most of the time and just keep trying to get back into second later during the course. It was very fustrating and I lost a lot of time. I never get this on the street but I am not driving like this either. At last weeks autox I had a 1-2 gear grind 2 times, which was the first time I had ever had this happen. For those that have not done Autox/track before you are driving the car at and past the limits, 100% acceleration, 100% braking, past limit of traction on turns, usually just controlling a slide. You are definately driving much harder than on the street, this is why I don't ever get this problem on the street. Oh it was also hot today, 102.

I was running with the BMW club today and all the guys who had E36 and E46 M3's had upgraded their transmission mounts as most experienced this same problem.

So if I do this upgrade what our the downsides? This car is also driven on the street quite a bit, more than autoX.
What you're describing is exactly what my indie guy said happens as a result of the overly soft stock mounts.

Regarind the downsides, from reading posts from those who've done the mod, there's a chance of ever so slightly increased vibration in the car in you go with the RE mounts (which are neoprene and not urethane). Indie guy said there were no real downsides. Maybe others have a different opinion, but I'd take a small increase in vibration over the current list of downsides.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #116
jbh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What you're describing is exactly what my indie guy said happens as a result of the overly soft stock mounts.

Regarind the downsides, from reading posts from those who've done the mod, there's a chance of ever so slightly increased vibration in the car in you go with the RE mounts (which are neoprene and not urethane). Indie guy said there were no real downsides. Maybe others have a different opinion, but I'd take a small increase in vibration over the current list of downsides.
Yes it was not fun. I really don't want to run another event until I get this fixed.

I am still under warranty, does anyone know if this voids part of the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #117
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh View Post
Yes it was not fun. I really don't want to run another event until I get this fixed.

I am still under warranty, does anyone know if this voids part of the warranty?
They are not OEM, so possibility there is a warranty void of some kind, just like modifying the CDV, but unless you have a transmission issue, I doubt the bushings will be examined routinely, plus, the bushings do a better job than OEM.
      07-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #118
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post
After hearing everyone's experience with the upgraded transmission mounts i've went ahead and bought a set myself. They should be arriving in a few days and i'll install them at home.
Please please please Someone post up a diy with pictures!! I am considering this but have no clue where to begin! Thanks.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #119
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
Please please please Someone post up a diy with pictures!! I am considering this but have no clue where to begin! Thanks.
I'll try but FYI i'll be using this http://www.madrussian.net/m3/diy_re_tranny_mnt.shtml as a general guide for my install.
      07-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #120
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another alternative is to have a good quality indie shop do the work. Should be 1/2 hour labor (in other words, cheap).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #121
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post
I'll try but FYI i'll be using this http://www.madrussian.net/m3/diy_re_tranny_mnt.shtml as a general guide for my install.
Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Another alternative is to have a good quality indie shop do the work. Should be 1/2 hour labor (in other words, cheap).
I know, but I kind of want to learn thorough doing. Wish I knew a good indie in my area.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #122
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know, but I kind of want to learn thorough doing. Wish I knew a good indie in my area.
Totally cool and I respect that! Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #123
jbh
Private First Class
Rep

I ordered mine today with the CDV valve replacement.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #124
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I think tranny mounts are next on my hit list.

What's the consensus/thoughts on the brand, UUC or RE?

UUC have the cup over tranny mount (optional) which is supposed to reduce side deflection while still allowing it to flex.
I think Turner also sells UUC mounts
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 07-20-2010 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #125
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

ok, story.

was driving on base yesterday and just normal driving, pulling from a stop sign i groud 1 -> 2 like nobodies business! and to confirm my suspicions it is audible outside the car b/c a couple of Soldiers turned around with this "what a noob" look on their faces. but seriously, i didn't go anywhere NEAR redline maybe 3500 at the most and GGRRGRGRGRGRGRGRG. I'm going to get the new CDV soon. geewhiz.
      07-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #126
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
I dont think the CDV has anything to do with the grinds. The frequency of it happening hasn't changed at all since i removed mine.
      07-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #127
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

IDK how the CDV ever became associated with the 1-2 grind.

GUYS, the CDV has abso-freaking nothing to do with the the grind!!

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #128
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I think tranny mounts are next on my hit list.

What's the consensus/thoughts on the brand, UUC or RE?

UUC have the cup over tranny mount (optional) which is supposed to reduce side deflection while still allowing it to flex.
I think Turner also sells UUC mounts
They are ALL better than the stock mush. Watch out for urethane though on public roads.
      07-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #129
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They are ALL better than the stock mush. Watch out for urethane though on public roads.
What do you notice on the street; more vibration transmitted to the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #130
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
What do you notice on the street; more vibration transmitted to the cabin?
My local Dinan shop suspects more added vibration and shock. With the RE mounts, I notice nothing. I'm curious to hear other's take on them. Who's getting them installed next? I'm still in awe over the MTL. Yesterday was 105, normally, the tranny feels like the fluid in the tranny is water-like, but yesterday, it felt like there was actually lubricating fluid in the tranny.
      07-20-2010, 09:13 AM   #131
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
IDK how the CDV ever became associated with the 1-2 grind.

GUYS, the CDV has abso-freaking nothing to do with the the grind!!

GOTCHA

Thanks. I was getting confused I guess.
      07-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #132
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think those in the picture are neoprene. I'm reluctant to go urethane, but that neoprene one is advertised for cars that are used mostly on the street with some track / auto-x use.

Appreciate 0