ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #23
gpraceman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangTa View Post
When you guys say "sealer" is that the same as "clear coat"? Getting ready to buy one of these kits and from my research, I was under impression that much like paint - starting with lower grit and ending with higher grit sand paper was in order, then moving to polish and wax - and finally clear coat - was the key?
You should not wax the lens before clear coating. The clear coat should be UV resistant to help keep the plastic from getting cloudy due to sun exposure.

IMO you can skip the polish step. The clear coat will fill in the small scratches left by the fine grit sandpaper.

2006 Z4M Interlagos Blue/Beige
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #24
WangTa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E46 m3, Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
You should not wax the lens before clear coating. The clear coat should be UV resistant to help keep the plastic from getting cloudy due to sun exposure.

IMO you can skip the polish step. The clear coat will fill in the small scratches left by the fine grit sandpaper.
Ah yes, sorry - so teh steps would be - sand from lower to higher grit. Then clear. Then polish and wax - treating the clear just like the rest of the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 07:37 AM   #25
HTM101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangTa View Post
When you guys say "sealer" is that the same as "clear coat"? Getting ready to buy one of these kits and from my research, I was under impression that much like paint - starting with lower grit and ending with higher grit sand paper was in order, then moving to polish and wax - and finally clear coat - was the key?
Yes, in general as you described, but no wax. After the last polishing step, I sprayed on Meguiars G17804 which is the UV protectant.

David
      04-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #26
2003bluez4
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I have found the speed of the sanding discs is critical for the 3m kit. My cordless drills were not fast enough and left swirls. The corded dewalt produces much clearer lens, but you have to be careful not to overheat the plastic by pressing too hard or staying in one spot too long (don't go there ). You also have to clean the sanding discs every 20 or 30 seconds to keep them actually sanding.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:24 PM   #27
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Yep, it's critical to keep the sanding disc clean. I sanded the headlights on my car a few months ago and used Chemical Guys jet seal to seal the headlights. I'm probably going to order the Lamin-X covers, wash off the sealant and then apply the covers to let them take the sun abuse.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #28
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I got a massive overhaul this year... I haven't order anything since last year, driver side is really cloudy. Lots of repair this year.. not sure which to do first.. lol

-windshield - so many scratches, I think I'm going to try to use windshield polish, I really do not want to rip off the bmw glass and get issues down the line.. if polish doesn't work, that'll be my other option

-windshield cowl - do the cheap cut away trick

-headlight - use this thread

-bumper - hit and run, nice big scratch - probably get prof done

front fender - storm threw shinges into it.. 2 inch dent..
      04-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #29
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Im looking to do this soon, do you guys just use drill, I have a porter da, wondering if i should use that, anyone manually sand them ?
      04-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #30
HTM101
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

A drill is the tool these kits are designed around.
      04-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #31
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

my boss was out yesterday, i spend the day looking at videos.. i decided just to wet sand it since i already have all the sand papers and polish it with the da and spray the uv protection after.. did not need to order a kit or stuff for it.. just the uv spray.. if it doesn't work out ill do it via drill
      04-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #32
Polarbert
English Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
One of my headlights is in need of a bit of a touch up and I'm in two minds about what to do. I could seal it with a sealer, get the Meguiars G17804 spray which is relatively cheap and seems to have excellent reviews. My most expensive option is to buy the Lamin-X headlight protective films which are 50 dollars. Not too bad but if I can get decent results from the others then I need not bother.

Has anyone got the protective films?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 05:15 PM   #33
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbert View Post
One of my headlights is in need of a bit of a touch up and I'm in two minds about what to do. I could seal it with a sealer, get the Meguiars G17804 spray which is relatively cheap and seems to have excellent reviews. My most expensive option is to buy the Lamin-X headlight protective films which are 50 dollars. Not too bad but if I can get decent results from the others then I need not bother.

Has anyone got the protective films?
I do. Had them on my Z3, my S1000RR, and now in my Z4 and 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 05:08 PM   #34
MarinerZ4C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0Si Coupe

SYLVANIA - Headlight Restoration Kit

Thought I would add an option for others to consider.

My 2006 3.0Si Coupe came to me with one headlamp looking nearly new and the other side 'restored' by someone who did a really good job on about 9/10 of the headlight. I looked on the store shelves for a curing UV-absorbing top coat, and I came up empty at several chains. So I bought this: SYLVANIA Headlight Restoration Kit (about $20 plus tax & shipping from Amazon)

This kit is designed for two headlights, and I'd say it is sized just right for that. It takes a little finesse and elbow grease to do a really good job, but it's got good components, and it gives a very satisfying result. Unlike several other kits, the clear coat with UV-Absorbers actually is a curable hard-coat.

It takes a little skill and patience to do it right, but if you do other sanding/painting/varnishing DIY's, you will have no problem. Do read the directions fully, since they matter. This product was highly rated by Project Farm, and he was correct !

I cannot yet rate longevity. But this has a better shot than anything else i have seen, except prepping the same way and spraying the lights with a 2K Clear Coat.

I may or may not apply a PPF (paint protection film) on the lenses eventually. PPF can sometimes give an iridescent Moire optical effect, which it did on my 2005 325xi when installed on brand new lenses.

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT
2008 128i Convertible (sold)
2005 325xi Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3848.50
      08-15-2022, 06:01 PM   #35
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Well documented -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinerZ4C View Post
Thought I would add an option for others to consider.

My 2006 3.0Si Coupe came to me with one headlamp looking nearly new and the other side 'restored' by someone who did a really good job on about 9/10 of the headlight. I looked on the store shelves for a curing UV-absorbing top coat, and I came up empty at several chains. So I bought this: SYLVANIA Headlight Restoration Kit (about $20 plus tax & shipping from Amazon)

This kit is designed for two headlights, and I'd say it is sized just right for that. It takes a little finesse and elbow grease to do a really good job, but it's got good components, and it gives a very satisfying result. Unlike several other kits, the clear coat with UV-Absorbers actually is a curable hard-coat.

It takes a little skill and patience to do it right, but if you do other sanding/painting/varnishing DIY's, you will have no problem. Do read the directions fully, since they matter. This product was highly rated by Project Farm, and he was correct !

I cannot yet rate longevity. But this has a better shot than anything else i have seen, except prepping the same way and spraying the lights with a 2K Clear Coat.

I may or may not apply a PPF (paint protection film) on the lenses eventually. PPF can sometimes give an iridescent Moire optical effect, which it did on my 2005 325xi when installed on brand new lenses.
Well done MarinerZ4C,
Very detailed and informative; my 07 Z4MR received PPF in Mar 2010 when I purchase her and included the headlight lenses and have not experienced any optical effects - your thoughts.
      08-20-2022, 09:31 PM   #36
MarinerZ4C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0Si Coupe

Regarding PPF on your lenses and how it worked out: Your experience is the majority, and most people with PPF on their headlights will love it.

But sometimes when a PPF is added to a lens, the new optical stack can produce an iridescent Moire effect. Most owners would not have noticed the effect on my E46 lenses with PPF - but I used to measure optical films as part of my career, and in bright sunlight I could notice the slight iridescence. This was only reflected light from the outside - it didn't affect the headlight color or the beam pattern.

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT
2008 128i Convertible (sold)
2005 325xi Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 11:21 AM   #37
Polarbert
English Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I need to get around to doing this with one of my headlights. Generally in the past when I've done it I will wet sand with fine grit sandpaper, and then using various polishing compounds until it comes up clear again. I used a UV headlight clearcoat but it wasn't very effective. I've got myself some 2k clear coat this time and hope that will do the job. I was just trying to see if there was anything else I could clear as the can only lasts a day or so after activating it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 03:41 PM   #38
rphaeldenver
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

One headlight on my recently acquired car is 11 years old, the other is 1 year old. The older one appears to have a cataract.

So I bought a 3M Headlight Restoration kit and got into the renewal.When I finished the project yesterday I was very satisfied with the result and stopped for the day.

Today I looked at the lens in a different light and noticed faint but obvious swirl marks on the entire lens surface.

I re-did the last several steps of the process, (a) 3000 grit buffing pad and (b) the final polishing compound.

I compounded the lens twice. All the swirls were still visible when viewed at specific angles.

GEOLYTICS INC.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 08:20 AM   #39
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

I end up using the cerakote kit linked below.

Some guy back into me on the driver side so I got a free new bmw headlight out of it. I did my passenger side and the kit with sand paper pad. I can't tell what grit the sand paper was but after sanding it had some light scratches. But using their step 3 which is the restorer + uv protection, it kinda hide all the scratches. I can't tell how long it'll last but I may have to use a mechanical buffer like you. I'm not sure how to get rid of the swirls. May need an expert detailer

https://cerakoteceramics.com/product...-headlight-kit
      10-18-2022, 03:59 PM   #40
deeeteee7
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

It's all about the grit..... nicely done. and don't forget to seal or in a year you will be back to yellow
Appreciate 0