ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #23
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Zero issues.
Products are in post#1
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 04-10-2014 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #24
jafxdwg
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 3.0si Artic White with Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Anyone?
Hi Joe.
Not ignoring you.
We are in the middle of a cold snap with very cold temps right now.
The Zed is parked in an unheated garage with a trickle charger.
If there was going to be any problems with the hole fills I'm sure it would have happened by now. When it gets above freezing, I'll take a close look for yah.

As you might have seen, for my repairs, I tried to used as much 'doner' material as possible, and minimize any filler to contour use. I got the doner from a local Ford Dealer on a Sunday when I had my choice from the dumpster.
The reflector ports were almost totally filled by filing two opposite bevels on the repair disk. They just popped in, and with an additional chamfer for adhesive and fill actually worked better than I expected.
The washer ports - Well they are supported by a hard plastic nozzle bracket. If you look to can see that there is an opportunity to slip in repair mesh between the bumper and this hard plastic. That's what I did. Then filled the port with doner material before the final contour coat of filler.

Just a coupla tips ...
Ill do my Spring inspection soon I hope
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #25
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

..oops missed the question above.
from the OP you can see that i completed mine in April 2013.
There have been zero cracking issues in that time.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #26
jafxdwg
Private
Rep

Hi BJoe
I wasn't ignoring you.
I was just waiting for Spring to return allowing me to do a proper evaluation over one winter season.
The Zed spent most of its time in an unheated garage.
My hole fills showed no signs of cracking.
I think by using a doner bumper to provide filler material similar to the Zed Bumper, that stress cracks are avoided.
Plus the expanded metal mesh heps in supporting any adhesive / filler you need to apply.

Good luck with your project.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #27
jafxdwg
Private
Rep

The bumper repair kit you can buy from any Napa store includes several fillers and adhesives. I tried to limit the use of filler by using donor bumper plastic when possible. Plus there are self adhesive wire mesh patches available for additional support.
My bumper shows no cracking of the repairs, except where I have scuffed the fangs on driveway approaches
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #28
jafxdwg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Anyone?
I have had no issues with the bumper and filler after 4 years. And that includes Canadian seasonal temperature swings and two extended tours totalling 4000 kms.
No cracks or splits and I admit two misadventures with curbs which gave the fangs a significant whack requiring cosmetic fill and refinish (only the fangs).
So that means the bumper repairs have performed without flaw.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #29
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Timely. My fangs need TLC this spring as well.......
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #30
Hedward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Roadster

just completed the fang repair thanks to the information contained herein. topped it off with finally getting around to installing the mustache 2 that's been in the garage for a few years.
Before:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #31
Hedward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

During:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #32
Hedward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

After
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #33
Hedward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Complete:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SaltyNC367.50
      09-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #34
Hedward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

delete
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 11:21 AM   #35
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

I'll see if I can dig up the pics that Photobucket messed up
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #36
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Someone needs to make a thin carbon fiber fang cover that slips over the damaged fang and bolts on from the underneath. I think they would sell like hotcakes
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #37
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Nice work, Hedward. Did you use the Bondo epoxy filler or go with something different? My car is in the shot for vanos work, but once I get it back, I really need to touch up my fangs. BTW, I like the M stripes on white. Looks good.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #38
Hedward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yes, the same Bondo epoxy as referenced by inTgr8r.
I was unsure about the stripes, but everyone (except my wife) think they go well on white.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 03:55 AM   #39
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I'm currently in the process of repairing the fangs on my Z4 MR and I'm having a hard time creating a hard edge on the leading corners.

I'm using the Bondo Dent Repair Kit which includes a can of Bondo Auto Repair Filler with Red Cream hardener, Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty, a spatula, various grit sandpaper, and a can of primer.

Every time I build up the corners and the front edge, when I sand it gets rounded off. I'm tempted just to get it to look pretty much the same on each side and call it a day. Last year I had to get the bumper repaired because someone apparently tapped me in a parking lot and cracked the "septum" between the two kidney grilles. (Mixed anatomy references I know, but you know what I mean!) The shop suggested painting the lower fangs flat black so that it would be easy to repaint scratches, so the painting part will be easy and it will won't be as visible as if it were painted body color (Interlagos Blue).

For anyone that's done this, any tips on getting a sharper edge?

Also the under-engine tray has gotten banged up and there's a hole in one of the molded corners that are a few inches back from the front edge. That part's now $400 so I'm going to try and repair it with a Bondo Fiberglass Repair Kit. Has anyone used this before on this type of plastic?

Last edited by SD ///M4; 04-26-2019 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #40
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

As far as retaining the sharp edge on the fang could you possibly attach a piece of sheet metal to the underside which sticks out a bit to create a shelf. This may prevent rounding the edge while sanding.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #41
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I'm currently in the process of repairing the fangs on my Z4 MR and I'm having a hard time creating a hard edge on the leading corners.

I'm using the Bondo Dent Repair Kit which includes a can of Bondo Auto Repair Filler with Red Cream hardener, Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty, a spatula, various grit sandpaper, and a can of primer.

Every time I build up the corners and the front edge, when I sand it gets rounded off. ........................
You dont explain the methods you a using, so its difficult to give you a specific reply.
  1. in the OP the proper bumper repair material is listed, this is the only thing you should use to rebuild the fangs.
    Normal Bondo is not designed for this application, they make an epoxy for this type of repair.
    You can however still use glaze & spot putty for minor imperfections at the paint prep stage..
  2. build up the repair area in several incremental steps. Don't try to fill it in one step.
  3. For best results you need to use a 'flat stick' sanding method for shaping the repair area.
    Never use paper in hand while sanding, it will only distort the repair area. Some of which will only show up when you put the primer on.
    If you dont have access to proper body work sanding blocks its pretty easy to improvise something.
    For a job like this a simple paint stir stick + sand paper can be made to work.

Last edited by inTgr8r; 04-28-2019 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #42
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
You dont explain the methods you a using, so its difficult to give you a specific reply.
  1. in the OP the proper bumper repair material is listed, this is the only thing you should use to rebuild the fangs.
    Normal Bondo is not designed for this application, they make an epoxy for this type of repair.
    You can however still use glaze & spot putty for minor imperfections at the paint prep stage..
  2. build up the repair area in several incremental steps. Don't try to fill it in one step.
  3. For best results you need to use a 'flat stick' sanding method for shaping the repair area.
    Never use paper in hand while sanding, it will only distort the repair area. Some of which will only show up when you put the primer on.
    If you dont have access to proper body work sanding blocks its pretty easy to improvise something.
    For a job like this a simple paint stir stick + sand paper can be made to work.
Well, never having done any body repair before, I thought that your original post was pretty vague as to what was used:
"- bumper repair epoxy
there are many different brands and packaging that this comes in."
The question has been asked but no one has pointed to a specific product. I watched a bunch of videos on YouTube and then went to O'Reilly's and got the Bondo Dent Repair Kit, which included a can of Body Filler, which is what everyone in the videos seemed to be using. You mix a golf ball size glob of filler with a 1.5" strip of Red Creme. You fill in the area and then sand it down. But apparently this isn't the stuff that should be used to repair the fangs.

So I went back to O'Reilly's after Googling bumper repair epoxy and discovered that they also had this product, which is also described as a bumper repair epoxy:

So if this is the right stuff, I'll try it tomorrow. Amazon also has products by J-B Weld and Permatex that appear to be similar.

I have been building it up gradually and sanding between applications but I've been using hand-held sandpaper and a foam sanding block, so obviously this isn't working correctly. I'll try wrapping the sandpaper onto a paint stir stick and see if that works to get a sharper edge.

Anyone have any ideas about my other idea of using a fiberglass repair kit to repair the holes and cracks in the underhood shield panel? Will fiberglass work to repair this type of plastic?

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #43
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Well, never having done any body repair before, I thought that your original post was pretty vague as to what was used:
Yeah, that's a problem with some of these old threads.
When posted, there was a pic of the Bondo epoxy similar to what you just posted, but the link went bad.

I'll add your pic to the OP.
But for a larger job, where more material is required just ask for it at a body shop repair supplier.
It will be less expensive in larger quantities.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      05-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #44
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

This is just what I needed, thank you for this DIY. My car is out of commission until I bulletproof the engine, but the front fangs have always annoyed me. I also would like to fill the holes from the front bumper bracket. If the results look anything as good as the results here, I'd be thrilled.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2421.50