ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #23
pomerlo
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 M54

Thanks gas-can for your answer....

-I did a search before on those dunlops and the review was not very favorable. The Z is now winterized in a barn. It is quite far from my place. So thats why I dont have the exact model in mind... I will find out pretty soon though.

-A good alignement was done using an hunter laser with weight in the car and the trunk with a steering wheel sensor re-alignment after the job. So I'm pretty confident of the work done here. The spec was as per BMW when the car left the shop... I know that many ask for more toe-in to prevent tramlining ..... but the guy a the shop told me that it does not help at all and it can even be worst. He said better keep the manufacturer spec. I followed is advice but not closed to try this tough.

-Here in canada, our secondary roads look like they have been a war battlefield. But highways are pretty similar to what we can see in US. OK for some long stretch.

Its true that bad roads will have a major effect on tramlining but the problem is also on highways where it is sometime difficult to keep the car in straight line. Specially on highways where heavy trucks have destroyed the road crown. When not holding the steering tight.... and I mean tight, the car can change lane by itself. Even poping a CD in the radio could be dangerous.

My guess is those sports Dunlops have stiff sidewalls and transmit all road imperfections to the steering. Other suggest that a V shape thread tire VS a thread with longitudinal groove will also help to reduce tramlining.

I will certainely do the swap soon so i let you know the results.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #24
mattr88
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

I swapped out my run flats for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s, made a huge difference! It felt like a completely different car, wish I had done it sooner.

I am very happy with Michelins, no issues yet. I put them on back in September so I had them for the winter and the car performed pretty well on freshly snow covered roads. I just got back from a road trip down to San Diego, driving down the California coast on the 1 and the tires handled great as well. If you are looking for a good all season tire I would definitely recommend this one.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 06:16 PM   #25
Bill McMahon
Rep
Drives: 2004 z4 3.0

Good luck pomerlo, let us know what you decide.

Bill
Appreciate 0