ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
m3eng
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M sport

Questions before buying Z4 M!

I am considering to buy Z4 M, pref 2008 (I believe this is the last year of Z4 M)
Couple questions I had if you guys can help me!

1. What does the market prefer? Roadster or Coupe? (What is more expensive)
2. When I buy Z4M, what are some of the options I need to make sure it has?
3. Between 2007 and 2008 Z4M, what is the difference?
4. Lastly, any info I need to look out for when buying Z4m.. I am really new..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

1. Are you buying for the price, or the functionality? Because I can tell you that the Coupes command a higher premium despite the roadster being more expensive when new. I had an '03 Z4 3.0i prior to the MZ4 Coupe and I can honestly say, I miss being able to put the top down since we have year round convertible weather here. But that goes away the second I hit the track in the coupe.

2. The option list on the MZ4 is limited. Premium package, navigation, and extended leather are the ONLY 3 option you can check. It's probably pretty safe to say navigation should not be high on the priority list, it uses BMW's Mk IV nav hardware that's 3 generations behind now, and frankly, my cell phone does a much better job at navigation anyway. Premium package is nice. Extended leather is nice. But they're personal preferences. It is possible to order "BMW Assist" which came with Bluetooth connectivity if you don't have premium package, but relative few cars lack premium package from the factory unless they're specified that way by the original owner.

The other "options" are interior and exterior colors and trim options, like aluminum or carbon leather or wood. Again, personal preference. Anyone telling you any of the color combos or trim options are better than others are just expressing their personal opinion.

3. None. The only difference between all the production years are a few color options and from 2007 and later, auxiliary audio input is standard and wheel mounted tire pressure sensors are mandatory. 2006 year models uses a flat-tire monitor that utilizes car's ABS sensor to determine difference(s) in rotational speed.

4. Good luck. There are only ~8,000 of them, both roadsters and convertibles, made in the world. If you find one in the color combo you like, buy it. Doesn't matter the mileage and condition, because another one in better condition won't likely come along for a long time. Mechanical issues can be fixed, paint can be reconditioned, seats and be resurfaced...But finding a car in the color you like with the options you want is worse than looking for a needle in a haystack.

These cars are near bullet-proof since they're the LAST of the BMWs with mostly mechanical internals, but the S54 does have it's own share of "quirky" problems. Common problems are easy enough to find on this forum. The rod bearing has a propensity to shed lead even when it's not abused, the VANOS unit has a tendency to have one of its bolt back out, same VANOS unit uses a design where a tab can potentially shear off causing problems, the factory engine mount bolt has a tendency to back out. On the roadster the chassis drain for the soft-top will clog up and cause water to pool in some bad areas, at times flooding the top motor.

For ANY MZ4, coupe or roadster, set aside used car tax of ~$2,000 and get the rod bearings changed, VANOS bolts replaced and loc-tited, valves adjusted, and engine mount bolts replaced unless there's paper trail suggesting each item listed were replaced recently by a competent tech. For the roadster make sure the water drain for the top isn't clogged when doing pre-purchase inspection, and once in possession, if the car's parked outside regularly, make sure to clean the drain regularly.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
DJKapeesh310.50
      05-28-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
m3eng
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
1. Are you buying for the price, or the functionality? Because I can tell you that the Coupes command a higher premium despite the roadster being more expensive when new. I had an '03 Z4 3.0i prior to the MZ4 Coupe and I can honestly say, I miss being able to put the top down since we have year round convertible weather here. But that goes away the second I hit the track in the coupe.

2. The option list on the MZ4 is limited. Premium package, navigation, and extended leather are the ONLY 3 option you can check. It's probably pretty safe to say navigation should not be high on the priority list, it uses BMW's Mk IV nav hardware that's 3 generations behind now, and frankly, my cell phone does a much better job at navigation anyway. Premium package is nice. Extended leather is nice. But they're personal preferences. It is possible to order "BMW Assist" which came with Bluetooth connectivity if you don't have premium package, but relative few cars lack premium package from the factory unless they're specified that way by the original owner.

The other "options" are interior and exterior colors and trim options, like aluminum or carbon leather or wood. Again, personal preference. Anyone telling you any of the color combos or trim options are better than others are just expressing their personal opinion.

3. None. The only difference between all the production years are a few color options and from 2007 and later, auxiliary audio input is standard and wheel mounted tire pressure sensors are mandatory. 2006 year models uses a flat-tire monitor that utilizes car's ABS sensor to determine difference(s) in rotational speed.

4. Good luck. There are only ~8,000 of them, both roadsters and convertibles, made in the world. If you find one in the color combo you like, buy it. Doesn't matter the mileage and condition, because another one in better condition won't likely come along for a long time. Mechanical issues can be fixed, paint can be reconditioned, seats and be resurfaced...But finding a car in the color you like with the options you want is worse than looking for a needle in a haystack.

These cars are near bullet-proof since they're the LAST of the BMWs with mostly mechanical internals, but the S54 does have it's own share of "quirky" problems. Common problems are easy enough to find on this forum. The rod bearing has a propensity to shed lead even when it's not abused, the VANOS unit has a tendency to have one of its bolt back out, same VANOS unit uses a design where a tab can potentially shear off causing problems, the factory engine mount bolt has a tendency to back out. On the roadster the chassis drain for the soft-top will clog up and cause water to pool in some bad areas, at times flooding the top motor.

For ANY MZ4, coupe or roadster, set aside used car tax of ~$2,000 and get the rod bearings changed, VANOS bolts replaced and loc-tited, valves adjusted, and engine mount bolts replaced unless there's paper trail suggesting each item listed were replaced recently by a competent tech. For the roadster make sure the water drain for the top isn't clogged when doing pre-purchase inspection, and once in possession, if the car's parked outside regularly, make sure to clean the drain regularly.
First of all, thanks for the very detail explanation! Just to make sure...

1. I will be buying this for whatever is more popular. I don't really mind what I get, as long as I get the more popular kind for resell in the future. So there is higher demand for Coupe (meaning it sells at a higher price or be sold faster)?
2. Can Z4M have BMW assist (bluetooth) with premium package?
4. So all that common problems can be fixed with $2,000 dollars?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
The HACK
Rep

1. Given the relative rarity of both coupe and roadster, I can honestly say if and when you decide to sell, if the car is in good condition, you will have little trouble to move it. I will add, the prices on both seems to have stabilized, of course, you will be paying more for the coupe, but in terms of resale, you're unlikely to lose $$$ selling either a few years down the line. 4 years ago when I paid off my '06 Coupe, the used car market priced it at $22,500. Now it'll probably fetch $30,000, and if I am patient and wait for the right buyer, I can probably sell it for $32,000.

Only thing I will add, is the coupes seem to "appreciate" a little faster than the roadsters, but that may just be a personal bias.

2. Assist is part of the premium package. I was merely commenting that you CAN get assist without premium. However, self dimming mirrors, cruise control, and power seats are not separate options that can be ordered independently of premium package. Like I said, it will be exceedingly rare to find an MZ4 Coupe or Roadster that doesn't have premium.

4. Conservatively speaking. Depending on if you have a good independent shop you work with. A valve adjustment runs for about $500-800, to replace the VANOS bolt by itself will probably cost $400-600 in mostly labor, and to swap out the rod bearings will probably run about $1,000. The VANOS bolt and valve adjustment can probably be done together. The engine mount bolt and the rod bearing can be done together to save some labor. If you have everything done together it'll probably run around $2,000. (or about 16 hours of work at $120/hr rate, some mechanic charge more, some less). Cost of parts not included (the parts run for a few hundred all together). If you bought one off of a meticulous member here, you can potentially skip quite a few of these. For example, mine has the engine mount bolt replaced, as well as the VANOS bolts. It had a valve adjustment done at ~26,000 miles and will have another due at ~50,000 miles so you most likely won't need the valve adjustment immediately. But it's still running on the stock rod bearings.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
donoman
Rookie
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i 5MT

Z4M Roadsters seem a lot more plentiful than Z4M Coupes.

I spent a long time looking for a Coupe while there were always 3-4 for sale, Coupe's would come and go one every few months here in the Bay Area, California.

Looking at the Z3M's, the roadsters have been on a constant depreciation while the coupe's have flattened out, probably due to the rarity as well. I'm betting the Z4M's will do the same, but that's just a guess.

I really miss the ability to put the top down on the MCoupe.
1983 Wife
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donoman View Post
Z4M Roadsters seem a lot more plentiful than Z4M Coupes.
There are more used roadsters for sale. I don't think there are significantly more roadsters built.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I would go for the coupe as it is more rare and IMHO looks much better. The coupe should bring much more $ than a convertible in the future.

There's a black coupe in VA on craigs list coupe And a convertible in Baltimore.

Quote:
There are more used roadsters for sale. I don't think there are significantly more roadsters built.
Not a huge difference in USA Z4M all years
Roadsters = 3041
Coupe = 1815

Last edited by pungo; 05-28-2014 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Here's a comprehensive listing of just about every coupe that's for sale in the USA...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=991317

I agree with everyone else on just about every point made. If you're looking for best resale value, the coupe is likely your best bet. Buy a coupe at a fair price today, and you could probably drive it a few years and lose virtually nothing, other than maintenance costs. Or you could wind up like me, deciding to keep it "forever".
      05-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Not a huge difference in USA Z4M 06-08.
Roadsters = 3041
Coupe = 1815
A straight comparison of the production numbers really doesn't tell the story. Look at percentage of total production and you will see that with a total production of 3041 + 1815 = 4856, the Roadsters were 3041/4856 = 63%, or almost 2/3 of production, while the Coupe is 36%, just over 1/3 of production.

What this realistically means is that for every two Roadsters sold, there was only about 1 Coupe sold, which means that if you're looking for either a Roadster or a Coupe, you'll have to look at two Roadsters for every Coupe. Because of the perceived rarity of a Coupe, you'll probably find about three times as many Roadsters for sale than Coupes (or more).

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3eng View Post
I am considering to buy Z4 M, pref 2008 (I believe this is the last year of Z4 M)
Couple questions I had if you guys can help me!

1. What does the market prefer? Roadster or Coupe? (What is more expensive)
2. When I buy Z4M, what are some of the options I need to make sure it has?
3. Between 2007 and 2008 Z4M, what is the difference?
4. Lastly, any info I need to look out for when buying Z4m.. I am really new..

Thanks!
Agree with everyone above, here are my perspectives:
1. If you can be patient, don't mind paying more (and obviously don't have your heart set on a roadster), hold out for the coupe. As noted above, coupes are actually appreciating in value right now (not that I'd buy it as an investment). My opinion only, but the coupes look so good...most people have NO idea what it is and have never seen one before.
2. The only thing I'd watch out for are strippers...possibly suggests that the car was bought for track use. Other than that most cars have the premium package, which is nice to have. Meh on the Nav, although I have it.
3. None except Silver Gray became Space Gray. Buy on milage and condition - you will find more 2007s.
4. Nothing but the usual: number of owners, maintenance records (hopefully the prior owners changed the oil more frequently than BMW recommended via the service computer), PPI, etc. Pretty sturdy cars but prior maintenance is key.

GL!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)

Last edited by KevinM; 05-29-2014 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:15 AM   #11
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Yep, yep and yep!!

Condition is key! But seriously, buying these cars as an investment in anything other than time is a washout.

Buy it to drive it, otherwise buy something else :P
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:41 AM   #12
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
1. Buying whatever is more "popular" and future "market" resale prediction is totally missing the point of owning these cars. Buy the version that you find will bring the most ENJOYMENT to you, not by what is deemed "popular". If you like driving with the top down, buy the convertible. If you never need/want to put the top down, then get the coupe...simple as that.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2014, 03:42 AM   #13
blacksquid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Convertible

I ran across this site when looking for my Z4M Coupe:

http://z4mcoupebuyersguide.com/

Last edited by blacksquid; 05-29-2014 at 03:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Unless you live close to someone who does rod bearings out of their house or something, you're not going to get that done for $1000. $1800 is a more realistic estimate.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #15
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
You recommend replacing the the rod bearing irregardless? I thought the decision to do this was based on the results of an oil analysis.

Last edited by funkle; 05-29-2014 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #16
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

When I was shopping, I thought that I needed premium package. It turns out:
1. the premium stereo's crap
2. I'm the only one driving the car, so no need for the seat memory
3. I never use navigation because my phone is much better
4. Bluetooth integration can be easily added

Not that there are many without Premium, but I did pass up a very nice one because it didn't have premium. In retrospect, I would've probably pursued that one.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #17
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksquid View Post
I ran across this site when looking for my Z4M Coupe:

http://z4mcoupebuyersguide.com/
It's a very cool site. But not as comprehensive as the Z3 mcoupebuyersgide. 90% of my candidates were on craigslist, and never listed on z4mcoupebuyersguide
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #18
bjbstewart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
Unless you live close to someone who does rod bearings out of their house or something, you're not going to get that done for $1000. $1800 is a more realistic estimate.
That ($1800) is consistent with the quotes I have received in NorCal...
      05-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
jophish17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

IMO buy now. 4 months ago 90% of coupes were listed for over 30k. Now about half of the ones on auto trader are under 30k and there are 40+ for sale currently (compared to 20-30).. This is as close to a buyers market as we have seen in a while (and also why I'm holding off on selling my own car)
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
m3eng
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for all the helpful replys! I am still looking into it! For comfort, I would want E90/E92. But I cant find the right one with right price.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #21
kdphan
Captain
Rep
Drives: everything is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophish17 View Post
IMO buy now. 4 months ago 90% of coupes were listed for over 30k. Now about half of the ones on auto trader are under 30k and there are 40+ for sale currently (compared to 20-30).. This is as close to a buyers market as we have seen in a while (and also why I'm holding off on selling my own car)
same reason I bought mine last weekend
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #22
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Coupes seem to have a higher value among enthusiasts/ZPosters, but they do come up time to time at random dealers in the mid-20's. Just gotta keep your eyes open I suppose.
Appreciate 0