ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

From Z4M Coupe to This...

So I sold my Interlagos Z4M Coupe a couple of years ago. Have just had the Rover and an Estoril e36 M3 Sedan auto that wife was driving. So I've been somewhat toyless for nearly 2 years!

Picked this up last week and will go pick it up Weds. New 11' XKR! For those that don't know or think Jags are for old folks it has 510hp supercharged V8 with an awesome trans and an awesome sounding exhaust. As usual I plan to lower it, exhaust and wheels.

Speak of which can someone good at Photoshop hook me up with a drop?

Name:  XKR Profile.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  XKR Rear Quarter.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  62.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

mannn that thing must sound awesome
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Hilarious! I was out in the Boxster a little while ago and while sitting at a light saw a guy in a silver XK and thought "Man, those look good - you never see them around." Nice pick up. I think I'd like it more if the "gills" were silver...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Congrats. Nice car. The Indians (Tata Group) sure doing a much better job than Ford (with Jaguar and Range Rover). Wondering what the build quality and reliability will be
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
mpm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Garage List
2007 BMW M coupe  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
dropped
Attached Images

04-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep

The XF and XK have been great platforms. The XK has been the most bullet proof yet!

Regarding the drop is it me or does it look slammed? Any chance we can raise a bit?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Very nice
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Beautiful car! I drove the drop top version last Sunday and was blown away. Enjoy the new ride!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Evoking,

Hmmm, is that the best you could do?

Just kidding! That is a beautiful car. But I'm not envious--I'm downright jealous!

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

would make a great second car for me. I couldn't live with an auto tranny as the only car
      04-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix
Congrats. Nice car. The Indians (Tata Group) sure doing a much better job than Ford (with Jaguar and Range Rover). Wondering what the build quality and reliability will be
Tata is not doing a thing actually infact their taking a back seat and letting jag and range rover run themselves more or less. The new evolke was designed at FORD and is powered by their ecoboost. Funny thing was the evolke .... Not sure of the spelling was designed years before they ever decided to make it.

Either way it's nice to see them finding their way and making some great cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #12
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was originally also looking at Viper SRT10 coupe and GTR. I've had a Viper GTS and I loved the torque, fat rubber and wild looks. I've also had a Lotus Elise before my last car a Z4 M Coupe. However, this time I also wanted a quality interior and a ride that didn't quite beat you up. The GTR is nice but way too big.

I've had a 993 and 3 NSX's, Elise, etc. The NSX felt far more "sports car" like than my 993. I owned them both at the same time. When I got in the 911 it felt more whats the word... shall we say pedestrian. It was upgright like you sat on the car instead of in it. The NSX felt low, wide, roof right over your head like you smushed in a full blown exotic like a Lambo or Ferrari. 993 also had very long throws which also made you feel like you're in some normal car rather than a purpose built racer. Of course it did have good grip though.

I used to absolutely require a manual trans. In fact the XKR it will be my first auto/paddle car. I'm trying not to be closed minded. I may miss rowing my own gears but I can always go back. Looking for a toy that makes me smile to drive, look at, hear etc. And am wanting good quality as well. The XKR is definitely not as focused as a Z4M, 911, Viper or GTR. But I assure you when I lower it and put fatter rubber it will look the business. They look aggressive even stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #13
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
I was originally also looking at Viper SRT10 coupe and GTR. I've had a Viper GTS and I loved the torque, fat rubber and wild looks. I've also had a Lotus Elise before my last car a Z4 M Coupe. However, this time I also wanted a quality interior and a ride that didn't quite beat you up. The GTR is nice but way too big.

I've had a 993 and 3 NSX's, Elise, etc. The NSX felt far more "sports car" like than my 993. I owned them both at the same time. When I got in the 911 it felt more whats the word... shall we say pedestrian. It was upgright like you sat on the car instead of in it. The NSX felt low, wide, roof right over your head like you smushed in a full blown exotic like a Lambo or Ferrari. 993 also had very long throws which also made you feel like you're in some normal car rather than a purpose built racer. Of course it did have good grip though.

I used to absolutely require a manual trans. In fact the XKR it will be my first auto/paddle car. I'm trying not to be closed minded. I may miss rowing my own gears but I can always go back. Looking for a toy that makes me smile to drive, look at, hear etc. And am wanting good quality as well. The XKR is definitely not as focused as a Z4M, 911, Viper or GTR. But I assure you when I lower it and put fatter rubber it will look the business. They look aggressive even stock.
That ps of the lowered car looks fantastic, it really changes my attitude towards the car entirely. I feel that the car tends to look a tad bit older than its year but with that ps drop it reminds me more of the Karma, in the best of ways.

Congratulations on the purchase, oh that engine noise!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Looks like Jag is still using beluga black, which is the sickest black ever. Nice man!
      04-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Did u test drive an srt-10? Did they improve the transmission feel over the GTS?
      04-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep

I did drive an SRT-10. But it's been years since I owned my GTS so I can't comment on the different feel.

Regarding the XKR with a drop by far the best angle on the car is the rear quarter. Not unlike the Z4M Coupe in fact. I guess I'm a bit partial to the low long snout rear drive coupe look!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

Quote:
I used to absolutely require a manual trans. In fact the XKR it will be my first auto/paddle car. I'm trying not to be closed minded. I may miss rowing my own gears but I can always go back.
With respect, maybe I'm missing a subtle but significant point. I have driven several paddle equipped cars... some supercars... some junior supercars... and even an infinity G37S. I'm a big fan of paddles.

When I click the paddle and the tranny shifts because I told it to (with a little computerized assistance, no doubt).... that's enough "manual" to satisfy me. My Pathfinder... now that's an automatic!

I know, I know... manual trannies have gears and manauto/auto/etc. trannies have clutch clusters controlled by brake bands or planetary systems etc. etc. etc.

In other words, if it says 1-6 in the display, I treat it like a manual. If it just says "D", and I have no real say over the shift points, then it's an auto.

Having a computer optimize the shift point is just an evolution of synchromesh IMHO.

I think the XKR is a beautiful automobile. I drove a ragtop and loved it. Prefer the coupe's lines. Congratulations!

Best regards.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep

Agreed. I'd like to think of it as semi-auto and full-auto. Same can be said as manual and semi-manual. If you can control when each gear is selected and it won't do it for you that's semi-manual because you do have control but you're not depressing a clutch etc.

I could hold any gear in the XKR and keep in in the sweet spot while powering out of a turn. But boy you better be careful doing that. You almost want to be up a gear or two to avoid complete rubber melt down!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep

Quote:
I did drive an SRT-10. But it's been years since I owned my GTS so I can't comment on the different feel.

Regarding the XKR with a drop by far the best angle on the car is the rear quarter. Not unlike the Z4M Coupe in fact. I guess I'm a bit partial to the low long snout rear drive coupe look!
what did you like/didnt like in the SRT-10?

my ideal realistic second car would be a 2002 XJR 100
      04-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thought you guys might like this... The 175 is even softer than my modded XKR with springs, exhaust, pulley/tune, wheels!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bByMkAmuSxo
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Thought you guys might like this... The 175 is even softer than my modded XKR with springs, exhaust, pulley/tune, wheels!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bByMkAmuSxo
OH.MY.LAWD!!! that sound!
Appreciate 0