ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-23-2017, 12:22 AM   #1
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M

Changed up the wood grain!

I Don't like the wood grain at all and I'm sure a lot of you share that taste. So I figured I would paint it a gunmetal/dark metallic grey. I'm still deciding if i Like it and the middle center console still has to be done but I like it better than the wood grain quite a bit already.

Taking out the trim pieces isn't too tough. I would do a full write up but people already have info out there. This is more of a see what you guys think thread.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
mtnbkr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 IB Z4MC

I like it! I have the aluminum trim with red interior but the aluminum has a bunch of scratches that are an eye sore. Been thinking of wrapping it with a color similar to this.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:55 AM   #3
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

That's HEAPS better, I really like it and looks like a neat job

Go ahead and do the centre console
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I like it better too, even better imho is when its painted piano black. My mate has that and it just sets the car off. Does attract finger prints though..

looks good in grey too mate
      02-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anybody who redoes it watch out the edges chip very easily, I accidentally did it in a spot. I wouldn't of if I knew the last clip doesnt just pop out like the rest and has to be lifted out by sticking your hand through the vent hole.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Nice transformation, looks great and it really tones down the interior. I would have probably done a vinyl wrap in case I or the next owner ever wanted the wood look back since it was offered at an additional cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 11:11 PM   #7
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You can buy the woodgrain for like $150 now people almost give it away lol
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 04:55 AM   #8
coo-pey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin View Post
I Don't like the wood grain at all and I'm sure a lot of you share that taste. So I figured I would paint it a gunmetal/dark metallic grey. I'm still deciding if i Like it and the middle center console still has to be done but I like it better than the wood grain quite a bit already.

Taking out the trim pieces isn't too tough. I would do a full write up but people already have info out there. This is more of a see what you guys think thread.
I did mine 2 weeks ago. Had/have the lighter burl wood. WTF do I drive? A Buick??

The upper trim was pretty easy. Had no real issues with the weird ring on the edge of the long piece either.

The center console was a total PIA. Take your time and do it in the morning so you don't feel the night creeping in on you! Mine took about 4 hours. Getting the lid off the rear storage took a while and really had to pull hard to get it out.

I wrapped mine in satin black vinyl since I suck at painting.

The thing that really surprised me was that this is real wood laminated onto the metal. I know that because I chipped a piece.

When you get all three piece done, you car will feel brand new!
      03-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #9
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo-pey View Post
I did mine 2 weeks ago. Had/have the lighter burl wood. WTF do I drive? A Buick??

The upper trim was pretty easy. Had no real issues with the weird ring on the edge of the long piece either.

The center console was a total PIA. Take your time and do it in the morning so you don't feel the night creeping in on you! Mine took about 4 hours. Getting the lid off the rear storage took a while and really had to pull hard to get it out.

I wrapped mine in satin black vinyl since I suck at painting.

The thing that really surprised me was that this is real wood laminated onto the metal. I know that because I chipped a piece.

When you get all three piece done, you car will feel brand new!
Thanks for the heads up on the center piece and I will be doing it soon. I know it was going to take a while so I put in on the back burner. Yeah the corner/ring clip isnt hard when you know about it but when you dont it was a heaache. I still cant believe how easy it is to chip.

Anyway Im pretty good at painting and I most likely will wetsand and buff the pieces I already did to give it that factory finish and feel.

Post up some pics of yours!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #10
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Looks great. Mine came with dark poplar panels and I initially plasti-dipped the trim pieces, but settled on vinyl. Love it, even if some of the edges on my wrap aren't that great.

The trim piece on the center mount (where the gear shift sits) is the worst to take out.