ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #67
pcube
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
The turn signal's were only on in one of the pictures cause I turned the light switch to the first position. Otherwise my car is coded to show only the angle eyes as the day time running lights. In North America we are mandated to have the turn signals on when the lights are on. In Europe and I suspect Singapore you don't have to have them on. Did your turn signal lights turn on after installing the LED bulb or were they an option you could turn on before?
You are right that there aren't such regulations in Singapore, so my turn signals were never on regardless of which position the light switch was in. My AEs are not programmed as DRLs either, and will only activate when the head lights are on. The turn signal only came on after installing the LED bulb. The other side with the stock bulb remained normal.

Tomorrow I'm gonna turn on my lights with just the back cover removed, and see if the turn signal is on. Will report back.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #68
pcube
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Your North America statement is 1/2 correct - United States do NOT require DRL

My guess as why the parking lights were on after installing LED has to do with coding. BMW's code may turn on the parking light of that side if it detects a bulb out on the angel eye of that side as a safety feature. You want something to light up on both sides of a car so it doesn't confuse people - that it's a car and not a motorcycle. Try coding out monitoring on the angel eye to see if this is still an issue?
That would be the most ideal solution, but unfortunately I do not have any coding equipment readily available.

On a side note, what's the recommended choice for this? bcables or carly?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 04:44 PM   #69
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
The turn signal's were only on in one of the pictures cause I turned the light switch to the first position. Otherwise my car is coded to show only the angle eyes as the day time running lights. In North America we are mandated to have the turn signals on when the lights are on. In Europe and I suspect Singapore you don't have to have them on. Did your turn signal lights turn on after installing the LED bulb or were they an option you could turn on before?
Mirko; US cars only have the Halo DRL's on when lights to off. Canadian coded cars were shipped with two lines of code turned on that essentially has all our running lights on at all times regardless of position including off; including rear plate. Ian and I found those two lines of code and turned them off on my car this past April. Just Halo DRL's in off position now.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #70
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcube View Post
That would be the most ideal solution, but unfortunately I do not have any coding equipment readily available.

On a side note, what's the recommended choice for this? bcables or carly?
I recommend Carly. That is what I used to turn off the monitoring of the angle eyes and a few other things. You just have to use the cable for it on work our cars. I've also used it to code our 328 and X1.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 10:16 PM   #71
pcube
Private First Class
Rep

Just reinstalled the LEDs and the turn signals are back on again. The back cover has nothing to do with it.

Looks like I'll need to make a trip down to my indy to get this sorted. Meanwhile having the turn signals permanently on isn't all that bad...

*Update*

Dropped by my indy, and he wasn't able to code the error message away! He remembers having done this for a Z4 previously, but apparently there was a software update and that function is no longer available. Ugh so much headache for such a simple mod.

Will the carly cable be a guaranteed solution? It's a lot of money to spend on a failed experiment...

Last edited by pcube; 08-22-2016 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #72
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I just used Carly this weekend to eliminate my bulb out error from the LED angel eye bulb and parking lights. It's a really convenient app to use and I highly recommend it. While it's not as in depth as a laptop may be the convenience and ease of use is great and if you buy adaptors for different models you'll get a lot of use out of it. I've used the app on my old E92, my current X3 and Z4, some friends cars and multiple vehicles I was looking to buy to check for hidden service codes.
      08-22-2016, 11:32 AM   #73
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

@Asianoak I edited that post very recently so that's probably why you didn't see it before.

As for the bulb staying on. (This was mentioned on my thread as well) I can't say at all what the issue would be. Coding is the way to go though I would say.
      08-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #74
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcube View Post
Just reinstalled the LEDs and the turn signals are back on again. The back cover has nothing to do with it.

Looks like I'll need to make a trip down to my indy to get this sorted. Meanwhile having the turn signals permanently on isn't all that bad...

*Update*

Dropped by my indy, and he wasn't able to code the error message away! He remembers having done this for a Z4 previously, but apparently there was a software update and that function is no longer available. Ugh so much headache for such a simple mod.

Will the carly cable be a guaranteed solution? It's a lot of money to spend on a failed experiment...
Can't say as I haven't run into your specific problem.

I bought this cable and have had success using it on my M and another members car. I've also used it on my E90 and E84.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271621954745?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You will have to solder two pins together to make it work on our cars. I believe it was 7 & 9 but please confirm before you do that.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 1
pcube57.50
      09-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #75
pcube
Private First Class
Rep

I managed to code the dash warning lights out using NCS expert, basically disabled cold and hot monitoring of the high beam. This also made the turn signals in the headlights behave normally again (ie not constantly on).

Also turned on the AEs as DRL at the same time

Thanks for all the advice!
Appreciate 2
Mirko182.00
wdb4673.00
      06-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #76
DocTB
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si roadster

I just replaced mine this weekend. I know everyone says not to remove the torx screws, but the passenger side fixture would not budge until I loosened the two screws. Not remove, just loosen. Driver side did not have this issue. So...be prepared.

I chose to remove the wheels. This made it much easier top access the torx screws.

I opted to replace with LEDs. These are the ones I used.
https://www.amazon.com/Ruiandsion-Br...gateway&sr=8-1

No issues, other than the halo has a bluish tint (as reported elsewhere - the bulbs themselves are 6k neutral white). I suspect a 4k or 3k would appear more white in the halo. Dashboard light hasn't gone out yet, but these are supposed to be "canbus error free", so I'm holding out hope.

I've also got these on order, due next month. I'll try one out and post a comparison.
https://www.amazon.com/WLJH-Interior...gateway&sr=8-5
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #77
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocTB View Post
No issues, other than the halo has a bluish tint (as reported elsewhere - the bulbs themselves are 6k neutral white). I suspect a 4k or 3k would appear more white in the halo.
In case you weren't aware, there's a blue translucent filter between the halo ring and the bulb, probably to make the stock Halogen bulbs appear less yellow.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 09:14 PM   #78
328skidpad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi e350 Z4M X3 M40

rgd your leds

DocTB
as per the link to the amazon bulbs it says they are 80watts but the description says 3.6 watts, just wondering how they are doing and if they threw any codes yet
product details on amazon
Ruiandsion 2pcs BA9S LED Bulbs Super Bright CREE XBD 80W 6000K White 12-24V Canbus Error Free LED Bulbs for Side Door Courtesy Lights Map Lights
Appreciate 0