ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
socalfabricator
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Just installed KW v3 coilover on Z4MC, making clunking sound

Freshly installed new KW v3, aligned, was good the first day. Now making clunking sound (low speed straight, over smooth concrete. Also same sound while wheel is turned a little bit)

here's the detail:
Installed KW v3 coilover on my Z4mc this past weekend, and got it aligned on monday. I'm only lowering about 0.5" and the bump/rebound is set at the recommended setting. All in all, very conservative setting (very slight drop and non-aggressive setting).

After I got it aligned on Monday, I took it up to my favorite twisty mountain road. All's good.

Tuesday, didn't have time to drive it.

Today, want to play with the rebound/bump setting, but before i could get to making any adjustment, just pulling the car out of the garage (flat concrete, no bump/crack) the front is making a clunking sound.

lift car, remove front wheel, check all bolts (only three bolts holding the bottom of the strut, and three on top under the hood). double check the tie rod between the sway and strut, nice and tight.

I suspect the spring is hitting the adjustable perch... somehow. No matter how tight i torque the grub screw on the perch, if i spin the spring by hand, the perch will move (is this normal?) I didn't want to over tight the grub screw, because the manual says not to over tighten it... probably will mess the threads up.

Also suspected the wheel is hitting the spring. There seems to be one finger width of space between wheel and the coilover. And the tire isn't hitting any of the plastics in the wheel well.

After I double checked everything, went for a quick test drive. It's making less clunking. The clunk stops if i speed up... so i took it up to the twisty again. No clunking during high speed twisty and high speed freeway. But clunks again when i hit stop and go traffic on freeway (again, going straight)

is this normal? help
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

should check to see your wheels are clearing the shock cylinder, i heard of issues and many needing to run spacers
      10-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Clunks haven't been the norm with this setup. I was just about to ask what your wheel setup was...

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
socalfabricator
Rep

stock wheels, OEM sized tire (continental)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
jrainlay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
I had a similar experience after installing a set of H&R coil overs... Chunking sound coming from left front, most noticeable at low speed. To make a long story short, it ended up being a loose ball joint. Three quarters turn of the wrench fixed the problem. You didn't notice the problem initially because the car had to settle first after being on the rack.
      10-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
socalfabricator
Rep

thanks for the tip jrainlay, I'll check the ball joints.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

V3's should be silent. I ran mine for about 2 years and they never made a peep. You simply installed the pre-assembled front struts right?

I would unload the end links and check that the nuts on either end are snug.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

You probably didn't tighten the sway bar end links. There is an allen key hole in the back of it. You need the allen key in there as you tighten with the socket otherwise it won't get tight. I have V3's and had that issue. They are silent during the warmer months but during colder months they make that clunking sound usually at the start. Either my end links are worn or its the solid bushing being cold.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
socalfabricator
Rep

clunking gone after i removed the wheel and checked all the bolts.

All bolts were tight to spec, even the sway bar end links, I knew about using two wrenches (or allen + wrench) to tighten them.

After determining the installation was correct, I can only guess that I somehow made an error putting the wheel on (duh!)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Glad you figured it out, my next guess would've been rear shock mounts...
      10-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
socalfabricator
Rep

there was no noise from the rear. I didn't upgrade the rear shock mounts, perhaps i should have, the plastic panels were a pain in the ass.
Appreciate 0