ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Roadster - feedback wanted

During a Meet & Greet tonight with the local BMW CCA chapter my wife befriended a BMW CCA member new to this area. It turns out she has a 2006 Z4 M Roadster that she's interested in selling. She had all the original documentation in the car with her, including the Monroney sticker.

The car is Interlagos Blue with Black Nappa Leather interior, Carbon Leather Trim, 6MT, Premium Package, Navigation, and Heated Seats and are what I remember. ~60,000 miles and just had Inspection II done. Second owner, car well cared for, new rear tires and at least half tread on the front. Curb rash on all four original wheels. Interior and trunk were a little messy and the car probably needs a good detailing but the seat and steering wheel leather looked good with a small wear mark near the left thumb rest. Right cup holder broken. Our club president came out to look at the car. He's one of the top service technicians at a local dealer and has offered to do an inspection for me and said that he can access the service records. After speaking to her he thinks that it must have an extended maintenance warranty. It was getting dark when I looked at the car so I didn't get a really good look and I haven't driven it yet. My wife was quite surprised as I had never mentioned looking for a Z4 M Roadster to her before. I currently drive a 2000 S2000, I'd like a BMW M car, and it would probably be between a Z4 M or an E46 M3 or wait until 2015 for the new M4, which I might do any way.

I'd appreciate any feedback about what this car might be worth and whether this might be the really good find that it seems like. She said that some guy offered her $24,000 but eventually backed out. I mentioned $22,000 and she seemed amenable. MSN says ~$25,000, KBB says $24,000-$25,000. What appeals to me initially is that everything that I would order the car with if I were to order it new is already on the car (interior and exterior color, Premium Package, 6MT, and heated seats).

Eagerly awaiting feedback!

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
bluecobra
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe

I have a 2006 MCoupe and my wife drives a 2003 S2000. We have had both cars for a while but not since new. The S2000 is a Honda and has required nothing more than oil changes and a set of brake pads at around 72k miles and a couple sets of tires. I could have put another 20k on the pads but I already had the new ones so I put them on. I figure it is the last set of pads the car will need while we own it.

The MCoupe has cost more to maintain and currently has an airbag light on due to a problem with the slip ring in the steering wheel and has also developed a very slight oil leak. Doesn't leak enough to have to add any between changes, but enough to smell it in the garage after it has been parked for a few minutes.

That said, I still like the MCoupe better due to the way it drives and it is more powerful. Plus the M is a little bigger and at 6'2" I fit in the S2000 but after a few miles I start feeling claustrophobic without the top down.

The BMW is going to be a little more expensive to buy parts for if you need them. It probably costs more to get it worked on if you take it to a dealer as well. So far I have done all of our maintenance because I just do not trust the dealer and haven't found any good local independent shops. But we have 2 other vehicles to drive so it isn't a problem if one of the cars is on jackstands for a few weeks.

The price sounds good, I paid 25k for mine a little over a year ago and it had more miles, but also had about 15k in mods on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I paid $25k a year and a half ago for the same car, same color, same kit, 39k miles, a few scratches, and a little road rash.

At least you have inspection 2 out of the way. Mine needed it soon after I bought it. $1700 including front end alignment and an AC belt.

Watch out for the vanos bolts. That ran me $900.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecobra View Post
I have a 2006 MCoupe and my wife drives a 2003 S2000. We have had both cars for a while but not since new. The S2000 is a Honda and has required nothing more than oil changes and a set of brake pads at around 72k miles and a couple sets of tires. I could have put another 20k on the pads but I already had the new ones so I put them on. I figure it is the last set of pads the car will need while we own it.

The MCoupe has cost more to maintain and currently has an airbag light on due to a problem with the slip ring in the steering wheel and has also developed a very slight oil leak. Doesn't leak enough to have to add any between changes, but enough to smell it in the garage after it has been parked for a few minutes.

That said, I still like the MCoupe better due to the way it drives and it is more powerful. Plus the M is a little bigger and at 6'2" I fit in the S2000 but after a few miles I start feeling claustrophobic without the top down.

The BMW is going to be a little more expensive to buy parts for if you need them. It probably costs more to get it worked on if you take it to a dealer as well. So far I have done all of our maintenance because I just do not trust the dealer and haven't found any good local independent shops. But we have 2 other vehicles to drive so it isn't a problem if one of the cars is on jackstands for a few weeks.

The price sounds good, I paid 25k for mine a little over a year ago and it had more miles, but also had about 15k in mods on it.
I owned a heavily modified S2000 over 6 years ago and Z4MC about a year ago and have to say that both cars are very tiny and I am 6'1" and 195 pounds. When I went to full roll cage and bucket seats that was it. Sold the S2000 in 2005 or 2006. I got tired of back pain so moved to an X5 and M3 and have had no problems. Much more room and much more comfortable cars/SUVs.

I bought my 2007 Z4MC with 18000 miles with warranty for $31,900 in 2010 out the door with tax. S2000 was great. Did everything myself or with friends. Z4MC was under warranty but is costly.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecobra View Post

Thanks for the great feedback! I wasn't expecting someone with both a Z4 M and an S2000 to respond, let alone two people, but I guess if one is into roadsters that there were only three players in the game at that time in this price range.

My S2000 has not been without it's repair costs. The transmission has been rebuilt twice, once under warranty with the "stacking clearance" issue, and another on my own dime a couple of years ago, although that's the only issue I've had. I autocrossed and tracked it pretty heavily for about 3-4 years starting within a year after I got it. Even with that I think that I'm only on the third set of pads at 90,000 miles.

I got the VIN from the owner and it looks like the first owner had a 24 month lease beginning June 2006. I haven't confirmed this yet, but it looks like the second and current owner probably bought it as a CPO which means that the CPO warranty expired last month. The original owner put on 12,000 mi/yr on it but the current owner has only driven about 9300 mi./yr. I plan on having a PPI done. We've got plenty of independents here in San Diego and I can think of at least six off the top of my head.

As far as size, I'm 5'9" 170 pounds so the S2000 fits me like a glove! I've never felt cramped in that car.

I'm looking forward to test driving the Z4. With almost 40% more HP and more than double the torque, even with the additional weight, but with a significantly lower HP/weight ratio, it's got to feel more powerful, especially under 6,000 RPM.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I paid $25k a year and a half ago for the same car, same color, same kit, 39k miles, a few scratches, and a little road rash.

At least you have inspection 2 out of the way. Mine needed it soon after I bought it. $1700 including front end alignment and an AC belt.

Watch out for the vanos bolts. That ran me $900.
Great feedback on the price! It sounds like $22,000 would be a good price, maybe even $21,000. KBB puts this car at $22,384 for Fair, $24,384 for Good, $25,084 for Very Good, and $25,684 for Excellent. I'd rate it between Good and Very Good.

I'll definitely look into the VANOS bolts.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler&Koch View Post
I owned a heavily modified S2000 over 6 years ago and Z4MC about a year ago and have to say that both cars are very tiny and I am 6'1" and 195 pounds. When I went to full roll cage and bucket seats that was it. Sold the S2000 in 2005 or 2006. I got tired of back pain so moved to an X5 and M3 and have had no problems. Much more room and much more comfortable cars/SUVs.

I bought my 2007 Z4MC with 18000 miles with warranty for $31,900 in 2010 out the door with tax. S2000 was great. Did everything myself or with friends. Z4MC was under warranty but is costly.
I had a chance to drive a supercharged S2000 at Buttonwillow Raceway about 10 years ago and it was a beast!

At 5'9" and 170 pounds the S2000 fits me like a glove or maybe a nice, broken-in pair of leather loafers. Sometimes I wish I were taller, but not when it comes to smaller cars and airline seating!

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post

I'm looking forward to test driving the Z4. With almost 40% more HP and more than double the torque, even with the additional weight, but with a significantly lower HP/weight ratio, it's got to feel more powerful, especially under 6,000 RPM.
Starting around 5k, the torque is very nice. Definitely test drive it, make sure you pay attention to the 1-> 2 shift, it has turned off many people as it's not smooth, sometimes described as 'crunchy' . The S54 is still the last great I-6 engine from BMW, it's worlds above the N<anything> from BMW.
      07-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
bluecobra
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Thanks for the great feedback! I wasn't expecting someone with both a Z4 M and an S2000 to respond, let alone two people, but I guess if one is into roadsters that there were only three players in the game at that time in this price range.

My S2000 has not been without it's repair costs. The transmission has been rebuilt twice, once under warranty with the "stacking clearance" issue, and another on my own dime a couple of years ago, although that's the only issue I've had. I autocrossed and tracked it pretty heavily for about 3-4 years starting within a year after I got it. Even with that I think that I'm only on the third set of pads at 90,000 miles..
My wife drives the S2000 daily and has for 7 years. That is the main reason that it hasn't needed any major repairs..., well, that and because it is a Honda. The only time it gets into VTEC is when I take it to the store to fill it up with gas for her What can I say, I am a nice guy.

She loves the Z4 and would really like a roadster but she is a bit put-off by the things that I done to mine since I got it and the cost. The MCoupe was bought because I had been looking forever for another E46 M3 but just could not find one that fit my specs. I did not even know that they had put the S54 into the Z4 and had never seen a coupe. Once I knew that, my search widened to the Z4. It sounds like you are handy so you can probably do most of the maint on your own. That will save alot. I changed the tranny and diff fluid on mine and the fluid alone was over $300. But the dealer near me is pictured under the word "BMW Stealership" in the dictionary.

Anyway, good luck in your search.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Our BMW club has a drive on Sunday and one of the fellow club members brought his 2007 Z4 M Roadster so I had a chance to take a look at his. Its Titanium Silver or Silver Gray with a Black Nappa Leather Interior and Carbon Leather Trim with Premium, Nav, and Heated Seats. Unfortunately, we were getting ready to get started so I didn't have a chance to drive it and he had brought along his neighbor so I could ride with him either.

Another club member has a 2006 Z4 M Roadster in Interlagos Blue but with a Beige interior, Carbon Leather Trim, Premium Package, Nav, and Heated Seats. I contacted him last week and he had planned to come to the drive but couldn't make it, so he invited me over to his house to take a look and go for a spin. He handed me the keys and said "Have fun!" I had a good 45 minute drive and really liked it. Similar in many ways to my S2000 but different in other ways. Even though the S2000 has Recaro seats, I found the seats in the M felt better. The engine obviously has a lot more torque, but sometimes it seemed like my S2000 was more responsive in second or third gear around 3,000 RPM. The power delivery on the M is much more linear. The S2000 is reasonably quick up to 6,000 RPM but then all hell breaks loose, especially with my Mugen titanium exhaust and K&N FIPK intake. It definitely doesn't sound like a 4 cylinder! The M has a nice growly exhaust and sounds great all the time. I think that I would be perfectly happy with the stock exhaust. Overall, the M is faster, as I expected it to be. The steering actually felt lighter but tighter on turn-in. I could feel the extra weight of the M and the S2000 might be a little more nimble in some circumstances.

Coincidentally, a local dealer just took in a 2007 Z4 M Coupe on Saturday. Arctic White, Black Nappa Extended Leather and all the same packages/options. I stopped by this afternoon and the technician (the club President) had just finished his initial inspection so he took me out for a ride, then dropped me off at the used car department down the block. They let me take the Coupe out for a spin. I was surprised that the throttle didn't feel quite as responsive as the Roadster. This car has only 40,000 miles on it and is still under CPO warranty for another year. The person who traded it in was the second owner and the problem is that he took off the stock wheels and tires, put on some black 19" wheels with Cooper tires in the front and Toyo tires in the back. He also has a huge amp mounted in the trunk which takes up most of the storage. The dealer is saying that since the tires are mismatched they're going to have to replace the tires and they're going to put run-flats on it! WTF!? Some crap about liability or some nonsense. I argued with the Used Car Manager about that saying why would you do that? It came with non-runflats so what's the liability issue? No enthusiast would ever buy the car with RFTs on it and most wouldn't want the amp in the back. I told him that if I bought the car I would take it as is (it was already CPOed by the previous dealer), and I'd take off the wheels and tires, take out the amp, sell all that crap, buy the original wheels and put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on it. They want $32,995 which is way above what I would want to pay. KBB puts it at $29,300 tops, this car's condition is probably about $28,000, less if they put RFTs on it. They need to get realistic with the pricing.

Tomorrow is the test drive for the car I'm looking at along with a PPI. We haven't talked pricing yet, I'm crossing my fingers!

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

It's interesting what you said about the S2K feeling "more responsive" than the M at 3K. I had an 06 S2K prior to my MR and when I test drove a Z4 for the first time(a Z4 3.0si automatic) I was so underwhelmed when I got back in my S2K and drove home(the S2K felt like a Tercel after the torque in the Z4). I love my MR and it has all the things I wished my S2K had(torque, better brakes, more power options and comfort inside, bluetooth, a real stereo, fully automatic soft top, etc.). You will not be sorry if you make the move from the Honda to the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Throttle diff between the Roadie and the Coupe is probably due to "adaption". There's a procedure to clear it (or if you have a diagnostic head and software you can do it that way too). Simply put if you baby the car and really don't get on it, or drive around a lot in traffice, etc., the throttle adapts to that. I can't find the thread (something like turn key to this or that position, wait 10 seconds, wish on a star, etc.) that clears it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #13
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
After a couple of e-mails back and forth today, the seller wanted to change the test drive and PPI from Wednesday to Tuesday and bring her husband. I changed the PPI appointment as she requested and rearranged my schedule. She called me twice tonight and after the first call everything was set for Tuesday morning.

She called the second time a half hour later and things went from great to WTF in less than five minutes. I was stunned, still reeling. Bottom line, the deals off. So sad

Oh well, I wasn't even looking or in the market in the first place.

Oh, BTW, her husband unexpectedly got involved on the second call.

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess I'll go back to E90post now.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 07-17-2012 at 01:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
She called the second time a half hour later and things went from great to WTF in less than five minutes. I was stunned, still reeling. Bottom line, the deals off. So sad
So what happened? I am guessing they really didn't want to sell the car after all so were making it as difficult as possible?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
So what happened? I am guessing they really didn't want to sell the car after all so were making it as difficult as possible?
Bingo! Here's what happened:

The last call started with her saying that she "didn't feel comfortable" having someone else besides a BMW dealer look at her car and questioned the need for a PPI at all. I explained why a buyer would want a PPI done by an independent mechanic who has no vested interest in the car. Somehow he interpreted this to mean that not only that you shouldn't trust a BMW dealer, but the dealer was obviously lying to them and they were lying to me (paraphrased: They told us the car was in perfect mechanical condition and we told you that the car is in perfect mechanical condition, why don't you believe them or us?) He got belligerent and argumentative right from the start. (I introduce myself: Hi J, how are you? Him, paraphrased: Well, I've been working like crazy, I'm tired, but what the hell!)

The night we met and went out to look at her car, I asked the club president and BMW mechanic to come out and look at the car with me. That initial conversation and every e-mail since then was about having a PPI on the car. Because the president's dealership was on the opposite end of the county I was trying to make it easier for her to bring the car down from where she lives, 90 miles north of that dealership. I suggested two independents each about 45 miles away from her. She was apparently fine with this until last night. At this point things are starting to unravel and her husband says "You know, her blue BMW looks just fine sitting in the garage next to my red Corvette!". I ignore this as I can't believe that he just said this. Apparently this is now all about his ego.

Up to this point we hadn't discussed a specific price. I knew what she had been offered before and was willing to accept but the buyer backed out so I felt that my beginning price was lower than that. All of our e-mails talked about negotiating the price based on the results of the PPI and coming to an agreed price after that.

Her second bombshell was that the price was now a flat $24,000, the same price as when the previous buyer backed out. I said wait, you're not willing to negotiate and you're now saying that it's $24,000, take it or leave it? And you're refusing to have a PPI done? Now I hear her husband yelling (yes, yelling) in the background "She doesn't need to sell the car!" and "She doesn't need the money!". At this point, my mind is reeling, I can't believe what I'm hearing, and I'm realizing, holy ****, this deal ain't gonna happen.

At this point I'm trying to reason with this completely unreasonable asshole while still trying to remain calm and not blow my top. This is when I realize that she's been having cold feet about selling her car and apparently her husband didn't understand why she was selling her car in the first place. Although he never said it I actually felt like he thought that I was trying to pressure his wife into selling her car. I said something like look, I asked if the car was for sale and I was told yes and I've proceeded in good faith ever since. The fact is, I never stood a chance. Ironic that during our first conversation when I asked her why she was selling the car she said that her husband was a big guy, 6'2", and he "didn't feel comfortable in the car".

I said something like I felt like I was being blindsided and that I wasn't comfortable with how things were going. I told her that I was sorry that everything had ended up like this. I think that she said something about "cooling off" for a few days. I said well, if you ever decide to sell the car please let me know. And that was that. From everything's great to a complete disaster in less than 5 minutes after six days of e-mails. I couldn't believe what just happened.

I don't see this deal ever happening. I have the feeling that for some reason her husband feels like I'm the bad guy and I doubt he'll ever agree to selling the car to me. This is kind of weird but it's almost like we were having an affair, her husband found about it, and then stepped in to end it. It was almost like she was flirting with me, strung me along, and then she just wasn't ready to seal the deal.

I'm completely baffled with their refusal to have a PPI done. Google "how to buy a used car" and every hit that comes up contains the advice "have the car inspected by a mechanic that you trust". This is just Used Car Buying 101. When we were discussing why I wanted a PPI, I told them that I haven't bought a used car since 1969, and after that car ended up being a disaster and a bad experience, I swore that I would buy a used car again. I told them that I went to knowledgeable people that I know in our club and they all recommended having a PPI done at one of our many fine independent shops. I told them I was just following the advice of people who buy and sell used BMWs all the time. Afterwards, I was thinking, would they buy a house without having an inspection? I just don't understand.

Bottom line, I think I inadvertently got involved in some issue between the two of them that somehow became about the car. I never expected this drama.

I wasn't even looking before but if I was looking I was thinking that an E46 M3 or a Z4 M might be a worthy replacement for my S2000. This one fell in my lap so I went for it. My S2000 is in excellent condition and I've said a thousand times that I'll never sell it. I was willing to sell it for this, the right car, the right color, the right options, the right price. My long term plan was, and still is, European Delivery on an M4 in 2015. If I bought this car I would have pushed that out another year or two and may have kept it anyway, just like I'm planning to keep my S2000. It would have been quite the stable.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Bingo! Here's what happened:

The last call started with her saying that she "didn't feel comfortable" having someone else besides a BMW dealer look at her car and questioned the need for a PPI at all. I explained why a buyer would want a PPI done by an independent mechanic who has no vested interest in the car. Somehow he interpreted this to mean that not only that you shouldn't trust a BMW dealer, but the dealer was obviously lying to them and they were lying to me (paraphrased: They told us the car was in perfect mechanical condition and we told you that the car is in perfect mechanical condition, why don't you believe them or us?) He got belligerent and argumentative right from the start. (I introduce myself: Hi J, how are you? Him, paraphrased: Well, I've been working like crazy, I'm tired, but what the hell!)

The night we met and went out to look at her car, I asked the club president and BMW mechanic to come out and look at the car with me. That initial conversation and every e-mail since then was about having a PPI on the car. Because the president's dealership was on the opposite end of the county I was trying to make it easier for her to bring the car down from where she lives, 90 miles north of that dealership. I suggested two independents each about 45 miles away from her. She was apparently fine with this until last night. At this point things are starting to unravel and her husband says "You know, her blue BMW looks just fine sitting in the garage next to my red Corvette!". I ignore this as I can't believe that he just said this. Apparently this is now all about his ego.

Up to this point we hadn't discussed a specific price. I knew what she had been offered before and was willing to accept but the buyer backed out so I felt that my beginning price was lower than that. All of our e-mails talked about negotiating the price based on the results of the PPI and coming to an agreed price after that.

Her second bombshell was that the price was now a flat $24,000, the same price as when the previous buyer backed out. I said wait, you're not willing to negotiate and you're now saying that it's $24,000, take it or leave it? And you're refusing to have a PPI done? Now I hear her husband yelling (yes, yelling) in the background "She doesn't need to sell the car!" and "She doesn't need the money!". At this point, my mind is reeling, I can't believe what I'm hearing, and I'm realizing, holy ****, this deal ain't gonna happen.

At this point I'm trying to reason with this completely unreasonable asshole while still trying to remain calm and not blow my top. This is when I realize that she's been having cold feet about selling her car and apparently her husband didn't understand why she was selling her car in the first place. Although he never said it I actually felt like he thought that I was trying to pressure his wife into selling her car. I said something like look, I asked if the car was for sale and I was told yes and I've proceeded in good faith ever since. The fact is, I never stood a chance. Ironic that during our first conversation when I asked her why she was selling the car she said that her husband was a big guy, 6'2", and he "didn't feel comfortable in the car".

I said something like I felt like I was being blindsided and that I wasn't comfortable with how things were going. I told her that I was sorry that everything had ended up like this. I think that she said something about "cooling off" for a few days. I said well, if you ever decide to sell the car please let me know. And that was that. From everything's great to a complete disaster in less than 5 minutes after six days of e-mails. I couldn't believe what just happened.

I don't see this deal ever happening. I have the feeling that for some reason her husband feels like I'm the bad guy and I doubt he'll ever agree to selling the car to me. This is kind of weird but it's almost like we were having an affair, her husband found about it, and then stepped in to end it. It was almost like she was flirting with me, strung me along, and then she just wasn't ready to seal the deal.

I'm completely baffled with their refusal to have a PPI done. Google "how to buy a used car" and every hit that comes up contains the advice "have the car inspected by a mechanic that you trust". This is just Used Car Buying 101. When we were discussing why I wanted a PPI, I told them that I haven't bought a used car since 1969, and after that car ended up being a disaster and a bad experience, I swore that I would buy a used car again. I told them that I went to knowledgeable people that I know in our club and they all recommended having a PPI done at one of our many fine independent shops. I told them I was just following the advice of people who buy and sell used BMWs all the time. Afterwards, I was thinking, would they buy a house without having an inspection? I just don't understand.

Bottom line, I think I inadvertently got involved in some issue between the two of them that somehow became about the car. I never expected this drama.

I wasn't even looking before but if I was looking I was thinking that an E46 M3 or a Z4 M might be a worthy replacement for my S2000. This one fell in my lap so I went for it. My S2000 is in excellent condition and I've said a thousand times that I'll never sell it. I was willing to sell it for this, the right car, the right color, the right options, the right price. My long term plan was, and still is, European Delivery on an M4 in 2015. If I bought this car I would have pushed that out another year or two and may have kept it anyway, just like I'm planning to keep my S2000. It would have been quite the stable.
Sorry dude, not all Z4m owners are c*ck-teases like her. Look in the classified section, there is a ton of cars being sold almost daily.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the story. Just be glad this happened BEFORE you actually wasted time driving 50 miles and then she wanted to back out. Good riddance...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Thanks for the story. Just be glad this happened BEFORE you actually wasted time driving 50 miles and then she wanted to back out. Good riddance...
Exactly. You're better off not getting involved in all 'that', whatever 'that' was. Better luck on your next attempt at making a deal
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #19
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Chapter II - The Z4 M Roadster Saga

I had convinced myself that I wasn't in the market, but on a lark, I did a search this morning. This is what I found:

2006 Z4 M Roadster
Interlagos Blue
Black Nappa Leather Interior
Carbon Leather Trim
Nav
Heated Seats
31,732 miles
One Owner
New Continental Sport Tires (description give by the sales guy, not sure the exact model)

http://www.eastbaybmw.com/detail-200...d-8912296.html

What do you guys think?

Last edited by SD ///M4; 07-18-2012 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Link
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #20
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Looks pretty good actually. Seats and steering wheel are in good shape, always a good sign IMO.

Link you posted didn't work, here's one to the same car.

Performance Technic in Pleasanton does a lot of work for Norcal/Bay Area guys on this forum. That's right next door more or less to this dealership. It's certainly worth a trip up to see the car and have PT do an independent PPI.

Naturally I wouldn't pay asking, but if they're willing to deal and the PPI checks out, it looks like a very well maintained and nice car. Love IB too, so I'm biased.

Oh, and there's a hardtop and OEM strut bar for sale you might be able to pick up on the way back to SD (I'd take 1 down if I bought it). You'd have to paint it, but these are pretty hard to come by I think. See this thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #21
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Actually, I bought a refundable round-trip ticket on SWA this afternoon. I'm flying in to Oakland tomorrow and someone from the dealer is picking me up. I have an appointment for a PPI at SAS German Auto, about 3 miles from the dealer.

My BMW mechanic friend ran the service history and there isn't much history. Potential red flags are the brakes being replaced at 1700 miles due to warped rotors (tracked?) and he said that it appeared to be a demo car initially. It's only been for service twice besides that for regular maintenance and the last maintenance was done in 2010 at 17,000 miles. CarFax shows one owner, no accidents reported, and service at 10,804 miles when the car was 1.5 years old, then at 12,096 miles two months later. CarFax doesn't show the 2010 service.

The sales guy confirmed that there is no wheel rash, no wear on the steering wheel or seats and they all looked almost like new. He said that the body is free of any dings or dents but there appears to have some curb rash on the front splitters. The M Mobility System and the tool pouch don't appear in the photo of the trunk so the sales guy is looking into that.

If the PPI looks good I'll be driving the car home tomorrow. Thinking about taking the coast highway down and stopping in Cambria for the night.

BTW, what were the OEM tires? What are people putting on for replacements? I'd like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports myself.

I sure hope this one checks out!

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, I bought a refundable round-trip ticket on SWA this afternoon. I'm flying in to Oakland tomorrow and someone from the dealer is picking me up. I have an appointment for a PPI at SAS German Auto, about 3 miles from the dealer.

My BMW mechanic friend ran the service history and there isn't much history. Potential red flags are the brakes being replaced at 1700 miles due to warped rotors (tracked?) and he said that it appeared to be a demo car initially. It's only been for service twice besides that for regular maintenance and the last maintenance was done in 2010 at 17,000 miles. CarFax shows one owner, no accidents reported, and service at 10,804 miles when the car was 1.5 years old, then at 12,096 miles two months later. CarFax doesn't show the 2010 service.

The sales guy confirmed that there is no wheel rash, no wear on the steering wheel or seats and they all looked almost like new. He said that the body is free of any dings or dents but there appears to have some curb rash on the front splitters. The M Mobility System and the tool pouch don't appear in the photo of the trunk so the sales guy is looking into that.

If the PPI looks good I'll be driving the car home tomorrow. Thinking about taking the coast highway down and stopping in Cambria for the night.

BTW, what were the OEM tires? What are people putting on for replacements? I'd like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports myself.

I sure hope this one checks out!
Unless the car was never driven all bumper "fangs" have curb rash. Haven't seen an ///M w/o it. If it's already there, you won't feel so bad the first time you do it yourself. (Tip: Park with your seat more or less in the backseat of a car that's next to you to try and avoid this fate.) The hood is really long, and curbs and those damn parking lot concrete fang destroyers take their toll.

I wouldn't put much stock in the rotor replacement. The stock M rotors are floating rotors on aluminum hats, which are very resistant to heat and cooling expansion (they're attached to the hat by what might be called a "spoke" unlike regular rotors). It's really rare that they warp (if ever). Many of us, me included, have a lot of track time on the stock rotors and no "warping"--and trust me, we get those babies quite hot! Much more likely the car had inconsistent pad deposits and "shudder" and some dealership was too lazy to properly diagnose and correct it with proper pad bedding.

I'm assuming the break-in service was completed, yes? If they replaced the rotors at 1,700 miles, they should have changed the engine oil, transmission and differential fluids as well at the same time or around 1,500 miles. That's standard with an ///M car, and it should be recorded in the BMW system (required service, and free too).

Stock were Contis Sport somethings. They were, IMO, crap. Newer Contis are pretty good tires though, and as long as they're not RFTs I'd give them a good shot. I just put PSSs on my car today, and I really like them. But they ain't cheap!
Appreciate 0