ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Headers in (only eight hours) lol

AA's in the car. My God, my car sounds like a banshee and pulls like it too. I'm digging it big time. Ass Dyno is clicking. DSC is on everytime I step on it in first or second.
I started at ten this morning with the underdrive pulleys. Got done with header install by six. A good eight hours and a few trips to Harbor frt. Those o2 sensor sockets are a lifesaver. Dont forget the Pb Blaster, u-joint, wobble extensions too.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Congrats! Are the pullys worth it?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Did you take pics of the install?
      05-09-2010, 03:04 AM   #4
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Congrats! Are the pullys worth it?
Sounds like he did both mods at the same time, so how would he know.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Actually I did the pulleys first and took it out for 5-10 minutes. This because of my lost Dme by fedex(another thread). Wanted to try out the DME before header install to make sure it was not damaged in it's criss-cross country adventure.. Seemed to rev quicker with pullies. Wasnt mind blowing but it's done and I know it's there. Made the header install nice and warm too as it was in the high 40's in midmo yesterday morning. Nice.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
No pictures sorry. I can help with an install with some tips if needed. My camera was out of commission and my camera phone is pitiful. My GF gave me crap for not getting a time lapse walkthrough for everyone since it went so smooth.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Might be some RE Diablos for sale soon. The car is freaking insane loud with them on now. Might have to back to a stock rear setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I was thinking Remus cans, should keep the noise to a more exotic minimum.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Might be some RE Diablos for sale soon. The car is freaking insane loud with them on now. Might have to back to a stock rear setup.
I have stock cans, I love the sound, it's about the same as a car with no headers and exhaust.
      05-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

I kind-of feel guilty about driving my Zed all weekend while you work on yours...

You should have called I could have broke something for you :-)
or at least handed tools, but maybe that job was taken.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

Quote:
AA's in the car. My God, my car sounds like a banshee and pulls like it too. I'm digging it big time. Ass Dyno is clicking. DSC is on everytime I step on it in first or second.
I started at ten this morning with the underdrive pulleys. Got done with header install by six. A good eight hours and a few trips to Harbor frt. Those o2 sensor sockets are a lifesaver. Dont forget the Pb Blaster, u-joint, wobble extensions too.
Congrats on getting the install done! I think I would've been right around that amount of time as well if I had the o2 sensor socket and wasn't wrestling with those fookers for 2 hours. I'll have to pick one of those up at Harbor Freight just in case.

As far as sound level goes, how much do you guys think headers have increased it? I was a bit surprised at both how much louder the car is and the tone. I'm running stock cans right now and the sound under load, at high rpms is kind of 'raspy' or 'reedy'. I'm wondering if maybe I have an exhaust leak or something is touching the headers. Heat shield maybe?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2046 View Post
Congrats on getting the install done! I think I would've been right around that amount of time as well if I had the o2 sensor socket and wasn't wrestling with those fookers for 2 hours. I'll have to pick one of those up at Harbor Freight just in case.

As far as sound level goes, how much do you guys think headers have increased it? I was a bit surprised at both how much louder the car is and the tone. I'm running stock cans right now and the sound under load, at high rpms is kind of 'raspy' or 'reedy'. I'm wondering if maybe I have an exhaust leak or something is touching the headers. Heat shield maybe?
Raspy is VERY normal, its a characteristic of a high compression high RPM high flowing engine.
      05-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
I kind-of feel guilty about driving my Zed all weekend while you work on yours...

You should have called I could have broke something for you :-)
or at least handed tools, but maybe that job was taken.

Steve
Two people would have been awesome for the task. Be careful hanging around me cause this Mod bug that's going around is contagious Glad you got some driving in. I got her out for about 4 hours yesterday and today then I broke off a valve cover bolt. Easy fix but waiting on the part is gonna cost me 4-5 days
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Mine has a rasp now too. I will learn to love it. But may have to go back to the "Balls hanging out look". Drone city baby! It's not that bad but it does take away sometimes from being a 40 yr old adult seeking a quiet Sunday drive
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2046 View Post
A life saver. Got three off while the stock headers were on the car. Had to undo one after the uninstall and use the socket and O-cha's size 11-1/2 boot tip too get it off. Used some copper anti seize to help later down the road. Only had two studs come out the head which sucked because I did not have any extra studs. Made it work though.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #16
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

Quote:
Mine has a rasp now too. I will learn to love it. But may have to go back to the "Balls hanging out look". Drone city baby! It's not that bad but it does take away sometimes from being a 40 yr old adult seeking a quiet Sunday drive
Hmmm...... I was thinking I would put my BMS cans back on this spring. Maybe not, guessing its going to be crazy loud
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #17
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

After about 150-200 miles of AA headers and O-cha sims, Service Engine Soon light comes on. Any thoughts or ideas? I guess I'll be going to autozone later to get the code checked.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Hmm....Did you checjk to make sure your 02 wires are clear? Not hitting the headers. A melted one could jack you up. I know they are close because the 02 configuration is different than stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #19
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That could be it, I tried to keep them as clear as possible but there's nothing to snap them into except for the heat sheild. If an O2 wire is melted, what are my options?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #20
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
After about 150-200 miles of AA headers and O-cha sims, Service Engine Soon light comes on. Any thoughts or ideas? I guess I'll be going to autozone later to get the code checked.
Quote:
That could be it, I tried to keep them as clear as possible but there's nothing to snap them into except for the heat sheild. If an O2 wire is melted, what are my options?
First thing to do is read the codes and email them to me, there are car to car variances, we'll get you sorted out. No worries.
      05-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Im sure you could remove it and resplice it. There should be enough slack. If that's the case I hope it's one you can get to w/o removing the header itself. Gulp!

I got mine a little hot but the protective sheathing between it seemed to be charred but not burned all the way through. I snugged mine up by removing the engine cover and pulling them up to get as much slack out as possible. Still they are alwfully close(an inch or so away). I know it's tacky but I might try some cable ties if this doesn't work
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #22
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Have you got the Service engine deal figured out? You were right, O-chas sim was an easy install.
Appreciate 0