ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

My Morning Comparing an M Roadster and Two 370Z's...

I have been going back and forth between three cars to buy. An M Roadster, a Nismo 370Z, and a 370Z with Sports Package. I've driven all three but at different times, so this morning I got up went to Cars & Coffee, then to dealerships to drive all three back to back to back. I drove the Nismo first - great car, harsh, harsh ride (which I like!), then the other 370 - still a great car, more livable suspension, but far from being too soft & spongy. I left the Nissan dealer thinking I'd go with the Nismo, but would be happy with either car. Luckily, just down the street there is a VW dealer with an M Roadster for sale. Went directly over there and drove it. Drove all three cars on exactly the same route. What an engineering masterpiece! The M is so perfectly engineered. You can just feel the precision after driving the other two. What a perfect car, my mind is finally made up for sure. I've really flip flopped between those three cars, but this morning it was obvious.

Side note, it's 64 degrees here and not a cloud in the sky. A perfect day! The guy pulls the M up and tells me he's going to go in and copy my license and will be right back. So I get in, open the top and turn on the radio. The radio station it's set to begins to play Boston's "More Than a Feeling", which happens to be my favorite beautiful day driving song. The scenario was perfect! I think God was saying, "get the M, get the M". Who am I to question him! Now I have to go find one.

It's great when a car with 71,000 miles on it steals your heart over two brand new cars.

Went home and excitedly told my wife my mind was finally made up, and I hear, "well duh, I could've told you that 3 months ago! I've been telling you to get the M the whole time." Yeah, she has. She really knows me.

Just had to share in case anyone else is comparing these cars, I'm sure all you M owners responses will be, "well duh!"
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
The M responds astonishingly well to suspension modifications, so you can be even more excited in knowing there is still a lot of untapped performance waiting to be unleashed. Congrats on your decision!

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
The M responds astonishingly well to suspension modifications, so you can be even more excited in knowing there is still a lot of untapped performance waiting to be unleashed. Congrats on your decision!
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
+1

add in a bit of negative camber, lower it an inch with coilovers, and it becomes a whole new beast, plus it seems to increase the steering feel significantly
      02-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i
Went home and excitedly told my wife my mind was finally made up, and I hear, "well duh, I could've told you that 3 months ago! I've been telling you to get the M the whole time." Yeah, she has. She really knows me.
Wife that gets you: priceless.

Are you going to buy the 71k car, or, do you have a particular mileage and color combo you're looking for?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Wife that gets you: priceless.

Are you going to buy the 71k car, or, do you have a particular mileage and color combo you're looking for?
No, I am looking for one with lower mileage. This is a car I plan to keep for a very long time. As for color, I have my favorites but I really don't care. I just want a good, well maintained car in very good condition.

And yes, a priceless wife.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I told you in your last thread the M Roadster was what you wanted. Glad to hear you finally realized it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I told you in your last thread the M Roadster was what you wanted. Glad to hear you finally realized it.
I'm a little slow. Actually I'm an analyst, so I have to analyze every aspect of every decision. Plus my wife told me if I get another car, keep it for a year and then trade it in, she's going to....well let's just say I think she's serious.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Awesome.

Luckily, there's quite a few M Roadsters listed in the forums. Just in time for spring too!

I also had a chance to drive a 370 Nismo. Nice car, stiff ride, stout engine looks good out of the box. I only had two gripes about it: Steering feel felt a little dull and not as sharp as the M and the shifting feel felt loose.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

There's a whole culture you're about to spring into as well. Make sure you look into www.tejaschapter.org as well as the ZSCCA! There are tons of people throughout Texas that sport around in Zs and they will probably know the folks you buy your next car from as well

Hope to see you on the roads!

(sorry if posting other websites is against any rules here, wasn't sure on the "laws" on that, but if so please remove if needed).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddish View Post
There's a whole culture you're about to spring into as well. Make sure you look into www.tejaschapter.org as well as the ZSCCA! There are tons of people throughout Texas that sport around in Zs and they will probably know the folks you buy your next car from as well

Hope to see you on the roads!

(sorry if posting other websites is against any rules here, wasn't sure on the "laws" on that, but if so please remove if needed).
Thanks. I will be out there! Have already met some members just in looking for a car.
Appreciate 0