ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Z3 to Z4MC, An Intro

Hey Everyone I started out in the Z3 world and as of October 2013 I acquired my dream car. I never thought it was possible but due to a new job and having graduated from college I've scrounged up the funds (plus the sale of a Z3) to purchase a Titanium Silver Z4 M Coupe.

I've been lurking on these forums for quite some time, almost even purchased a hardtop from one member a while back from here for the Z3. However I never committed to the actual board to post and share my thoughts on my vehicle. It always seemed more a Z4 home than a Z3 home. Either way now I couldn't fit in more and I can't tell you how happy and how similar yet better the Z4 is.

On top of all of this I've also come into the position that I've always hoped to snag a foothold in, and oh boy did I get more than just a foothold. Recently Brad stepped down from the ZSCCA Editor position and my just having found a new career and a ton of funds to push into my Z projects again had to fill the spot. There's so much to this community, to the culture behind this car, that I can't ever leave and can't imagine exists anywhere else. The last and final dream that I have is to own a shoe, but that's going to be WAY down the road. Ultimately, you may see me come to you as an editor or a colleague for information, either way I'll be lurking all the same and now contributing what I can to the community here as you all have given me so much inspiration and knowledge on both the cars that I've come to own today.

Lastly, I suppose come the photos. Some of the seriously modded Z3 (although it was still a naturally aspirated I6 when I was done with it). It all started with the '00 Cosmos Black 2.5L Z3 Roady/Vert/Rag. Which when purchased did not have a hardtop and oh boy was that a fun adventure. Everything that was done on this car was of my own doing, from coil overs to fender rolling to engine maintenance and modification. There wasn't a single thing I didn't fear to touch towards the end of my 6 year run with this Z.

KW V3 Coils on Aftermarket Sport Edition (... ahem) 16s.

Then M rims and the hardtop were added shortly after graduation.

Which ended up dipped after a short time after serious frustration with paint correction.

And then suddenly all the engine mods I had done to the poor little abused 2.5L began to show through. New rubber lines were starting to be required in a lot of unexpected places. Intake errors left and right that began to throw tons of other errors. The hotter coils started to have issues among a lot of other small things. And suddenly I realized, I'm spending more than I want on her and although I love her there were other BMWs out there just waiting for me to dump more money into them for fun parts instead of repair parts. So off she went...

I literally teared up as I watched her leave. Also to the due fact that the gentlemen who bought her first drive out of the parking lot was over a speed bump. But I digress.

Three days later I ended up in the seat of the new Z... yes... Three days later... That's all it took.

And suddenly it starts all over again!

First handful of mods were cosmetic but I did get around to an aFe intake which has been a HUGE improvement on sound and I seriously can't get enough of Daily Driving her.

LED Lights and blacked out grills are also on there now and x-pipe swap plus some other minor mods are in the works. A valentine 1 came with her so that was already taken care of me (sold the original unit to my parents and supplied my new one from the Z3 but kept the wiring). We will see what else comes as far as mods but for now I'm still just getting started.

So I've been driving for 9 years and now 7 of which have been behind the wheel of a Daily Driver Z. Although I've moved up in the world it doesn't look like my heart or childish enthusiasm for these vehicles has grown a single bit. I look forward to seeing y'all at events around the south and hopefully writing some of your stories into the Cruizin Newz!

Thanks for reading!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Nice intro and welcome to the club mate. Also congrats on your new zed and job, comisserations for selling your old zed. ; D
The 4 looks like a beauty, how about some more pics of the interior? And sides the airbox, stock?

I like the shadow black rims on your old zed, that would have set it off if you would have gotten the side mirrors changed to the m versions. Love the older zed too, I had the 2.8 coupe, while ok, it was nothing like the 4, like you said.

Glad you de-cloaked.

Welcome again and enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey Vanne,

Other than small cosmetic mods and the valentine hard wire the airbox is the only mod that I'm running on there so far. I think this is going to be a relatively short list of mods for the future of the Z4 as it's a daily driver and driven 5 days out of the week. Some maintenance will be done in the garage in the future (service interval 2 and other misc stuff) but other than that I don't think money will be poured into this girl until later on.

The list for the 2.5 was ... really really long.

Yeah was probably about time to come out of the shadows, thanks for the warm welcome!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Congrats and welcome!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Welcome! Enjoy the new car and power.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Welcome and enjoy

BTW I am in my second half century of life and still get excited every timr I see or think of a mod I can do to my cars
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Congrats!

If you like the AFE sound. Try putting some Euro or CSL headers on
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate View Post
Congrats!

If you like the AFE sound. Try putting some Euro or CSL headers on
I've thought about headers for a LONG time on this car. Even before I had the car I've thought about them. I think that's going to be the very last stage in the exhaust build if I can't find the sound that I'm looking for. I'm thinking that an X Pipe will come first, mufflers will go next and lastly will be the secondary cats. If all of this fails me then I'll push some headers into her... but it will probably be the last straw.

If I get to hear one in person I may be persuaded to change my mind though
Appreciate 0