ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #45
Matt Romanowski
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche

I haven't found track maps to be too bad. Here is the video from Aim on how to do the maps . As a sidenote, this is a good webinar on how RS2 works .

When I make maps, I go Maps>New. Select the right course type, which for most tracks in the US is "closed." Then I select the "two wheels (speed and gyro)" and that gets the maps pretty close. Then use the "track shape" slider to get the shape perfect.

If people want, I'm more than happy to host a number of track maps.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #46
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski View Post
I haven't found track maps to be too bad. Here is the video from Aim on how to do the maps . As a sidenote, this is a good webinar on how RS2 works .

When I make maps, I go Maps>New. Select the right course type, which for most tracks in the US is "closed." Then I select the "two wheels (speed and gyro)" and that gets the maps pretty close. Then use the "track shape" slider to get the shape perfect.

If people want, I'm more than happy to host a number of track maps.
Agree that it's easy to get the basic track shape--I found that along with the slider, rotating the map can help get the shape right. I just found it tedious to then break the track up accurately into its various corners and straights, and to do that in a way that jives with the conventional corner numbers for the track. That is, VIR has 17 official corners, and straights with bends in them, yet left to its own devices RaceStudio won't spit out anything that matches the conventional track composition. Having "Turn 14" in your data be the same "Turn 14" that people talk about conversationally seems like a good idea. But, then, once you get past the learning curve it won't be a big deal to do it for later tracks.

It's not a big deal, but I was thinking that having a map in advance of going to a new track could also be helpful in getting drivers saddled up for review and analysis faster. Might not be worth your time and effort, though.

I'll email my VIR map to you, for whatever it's worth.

Thanks, Matt!
      11-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #47
Matt Romanowski
United_States
Rep

Segmenting the track is a bit of an art. Most of the time, matching the track map will not help you nearly as much as creating "corner groups." I've never driven VIR, but I'm guessing you want Turns 1 and 2 grouped together becuase they are linked. Turns 4 and 5 would definetely be together, maybe with 6. Turns 7 and 8 would be one segment. And on and on.

The big thing you want is any corner that is affected by another corner should be put together as a segment. Also, straights should be with the preceding corner as the corner exit will affect your straight speed (and resulting time).

By doing building track maps that way, you'll get good data out of your segment analysis, including theoretical and best rolling laps.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #48
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Segmenting the track is a bit of an art. Most of the time, matching the track map will not help you nearly as much as creating "corner groups." I've never driven VIR, but I'm guessing you want Turns 1 and 2 grouped together becuase they are linked. Turns 4 and 5 would definetely be together, maybe with 6. Turns 7 and 8 would be one segment. And on and on.

The big thing you want is any corner that is affected by another corner should be put together as a segment. Also, straights should be with the preceding corner as the corner exit will affect your straight speed (and resulting time).

By doing building track maps that way, you'll get good data out of your segment analysis, including theoretical and best rolling laps.
Good that you bring this up, as I've been confused by the "segment" thing. I understand what you're saying about grouping a corner and straight, or two corners; but I'm confused about whether AiM lets you do that as well as separately identifying each corner.

When you push the track's start/finish gps coordinates to the Solo via GPS Manager, you can also set segments. I've done that for VIR, yet I can't seem to get the segment break-outs to show up in RaceStudio. My Split Report view uses the track map break-out (i.e., individual corner designations from the track map) rather than the segment splits that I set in GPS Manager.

It would be nice to have the segment info for the reasons you describe, but also have the more granular break down of individual corners. That is, see the corners on the speed-distance plot, but use the broader segments on the Split Report view. Can we do both??? If not, what's the purpose of the segment feature in GPS Manager? Perhaps that only drives the "live" time delta feature on the Solo...

Help!

Last edited by MFGJR; 11-26-2011 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #49
RandysV10
MPOWERD
Rep
Drives: 2010 M6

Garage List
2006 Z4M  [8.00]
2010 BMW M6  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
Randy--i just had a thought...

When you push the ECU protocol from RaceStudio (Device Configuration) to the Solo, over on the right side of the dialog box there are some options specifying how you want to handle gear selection. Pick "Calculated" and re-push the protocol. Then, rerun the gear calibration on the Solo and see if that gets you data.

Good luck, let me know if that works.

F
Will give it a try Frank, when you have yours connected for configuration to the right under Gear Sensor, ECU is grayed out. Is yours the same?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #50
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandysV10 View Post
Will give it a try Frank, when you have yours connected for configuration to the right under Gear Sensor, ECU is grayed out. Is yours the same?
That's correct--can't select "ECU".
      11-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #51
Matt Romanowski
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good that you bring this up, as I've been confused by the "segment" thing. I understand what you're saying about grouping a corner and straight, or two corners; but I'm confused about whether AiM lets you do that as well as separately identifying each corner.

When you push the track's start/finish gps coordinates to the Solo via GPS Manager, you can also set segments. I've done that for VIR, yet I can't seem to get the segment break-outs to show up in RaceStudio. My Split Report view uses the track map break-out (i.e., individual corner designations from the track map) rather than the segment splits that I set in GPS Manager.

It would be nice to have the segment info for the reasons you describe, but also have the more granular break down of individual corners. That is, see the corners on the speed-distance plot, but use the broader segments on the Split Report view. Can we do both??? If not, what's the purpose of the segment feature in GPS Manager? Perhaps that only drives the "live" time delta feature on the Solo...

Help!
I believe the segmenting feature in GPS Manager is for some of the other dashes, not the SOLO. You have to do the segments on the track map in RS2 to have them work in the segment analysis.

To modify the segments, when you go Map>New, use the sliders to get the shape you want. Then on the very bottom you'll see "modify parts." Click "remove all" and that will clear all of the previous segments. Then click where you want and select divide. Go to the next part you want to segment then click divide. Do this for the whole track. When you are done, click on the segments and select the car right tab under "modify parts" and it will change it from corner one to straight to corner 2 and so on. I don't pay attention to the label, only the segment colors so I can tell the difference.

Once you're done, put in a name (like mine of NHMS 6 segment) and then save it. Then, you can do the same process again but segment the track differently and call it a new name (i.e. NHMS 9 segment). When you want to use a different map with the file, just go to Map>Map Manager and select the one you want to use. This will allow you to make one map per track and put it to multiple sessions.

Hope this helps and makes some sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #52
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I believe the segmenting feature in GPS Manager is for some of the other dashes, not the SOLO...

... you can do the same process again but segment the track differently and call it a new name (i.e. NHMS 9 segment). When you want to use a different map with the file, just go to Map>Map Manager and select the one you want to use. This will allow you to make one map per track and put it to multiple sessions.

Hope this helps and makes some sense.
Yep, makes a ton of sense. I can have the best of both, just have to flip back and forth between maps. Never would have thought of that! Thanks, Matt.
      11-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #53
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

i love this thread...

...did I mention how mad I am that I still can't install windows on my computer yet!

It is killing me that I can't play around with solo/RS2 and get acquainted with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #54
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbanick View Post
i love this thread...

...did I mention how mad I am that I still can't install windows on my computer yet!

It is killing me that I can't play around with solo/RS2 and get acquainted with it.
In that you're going to need it on a cheap laptop to take to the track, time to brave the crazy shoppers and grab one of those Black Sunday deals!
      11-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #55
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

i bought a dedicated laptop for the track...it will cover all my data, video, and OBDii scanner, track photos. Not sure why I couldn't get windows XP to load via parallels on my mac but I gave in ... I am such a sucker

Purchased My first windows based machine ever...went with a Y series 14" lenovo ideapad.

No chance anyone is running race studio 2 on windows 7 OS?

...seems I should be ok with the newest firmware release.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 08:28 PM   #56
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i bought a dedicated laptop for the track...it will cover all my data, video, and OBDii scanner, track photos. Not sure why I couldn't get windows XP to load via parallels on my mac but I gave in ... I am such a sucker

Purchased My first windows based machine ever...went with a Y series 14" lenovo ideapad.

No chance anyone is running race studio 2 on windows 7 OS?

...seems I should be ok with the newest firmware release.
Yep, I'm running Win 7 with the latest version from AiM... working fine.
      11-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #57
RandysV10
MPOWERD
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4M  [8.00]
2010 BMW M6  [9.00]
Last Run

Here are a few laps of my last run from Monday's full course. Still sifting through all the video and data. I believe the lap timer on the last lap didn't start again because it wasn't a complete lap. 8 laps all within 2 seconds of each other, guess I was pretty consistent.

BMWCCA #442445

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Randy23185

Last edited by RandysV10; 11-29-2011 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #58
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here are a few laps of my last run from Monday's full course. Still sifting through all the video and data. I believe the lap timer on the last lap didn't start again because it wasn't a complete lap. 8 laps all within 2 seconds of each other, guess I was pretty consistent.

Randy -- Solid and consistent--very nice, expecially with a new car. What pads are running, BTW?

The data-video synch looks perfect, based on tach vs. shifting. But the g-force plot looks like it has a mind of its own. What channel did you connect the gauge to in DashWare? At frst, I though you might just need to reverse the channel in DashWare (I think I did that to make the display intuitive), but yours is moving all over the places when there are no commensurate driver inputs (like in the middle of the straights). I went to check what channel I was using in Dashware, but I moved some files and that's preventing DashWare from loading--will check on it when I get back in town on Friday. I'm assuming that this is just an issue in DashWare, but have to peeked at the lat and lon acceleration data in RaceStudio, and does it make sense?

And, I'd love a copy of your files so I can get a Z4M analysis fix before I get out there in 2012? Maybe send the files to Matt at TrailBrake? (And, matt has a RaceStudio VIR track map up on his site, if you haven't already built it yourself.

F
      11-30-2011, 07:43 AM   #59
RandysV10
MPOWERD
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4M  [8.00]
2010 BMW M6  [9.00]
Frank,

Will send you the files tonight when I get home. Also to trailbrake. I haven't changed the pads out but I'm sure you heard them, they were getting load when they were heated up. I plan on pulling them off this evening and checking things out for my 18 Dec run. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Will double check on the G-force plot, I noticed that as well. Was trying different channels and playing around with building gauges to see what channels were providing data.

It's pretty cumbersome syncing video to data when you have multiple run and multiple video files. Was about ready to pull the trigger on the Smartycam but every time I look at the price tag I go into shock.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #60
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Frank,

Will send you the files tonight when I get home. Also to trailbrake. I haven't changed the pads out but I'm sure you heard them, they were getting load when they were heated up. I plan on pulling them off this evening and checking things out for my 18 Dec run. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
Based on my one weekend so far on them, I REALLY liked the PFC 06s. My instructor, with a prepped 911, kept saying "Man, this thing has got some brakes!"

Quote:
It's pretty cumbersome syncing video to data when you have multiple run and multiple video files. Was about ready to pull the trigger on the Smartycam but every time I look at the price tag I go into shock.
If your video comes out as one file per run, as I expect that it would, it would be helpful to set the Solo to produce one file per run when you import data to RaceStudio, instead of the deafult that's one file per day. Then, when you export teh csv file for DashWare, it only has a single run in it. Can't remember where that setting is in RaceStudio, but let me know if you need help finding it and I'll dig.

Frank
      11-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #61
RandysV10
MPOWERD
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4M  [8.00]
2010 BMW M6  [9.00]
Quote:
Randy -- Solid and consistent--very nice, expecially with a new car. What pads are running, BTW?

The data-video synch looks perfect, based on tach vs. shifting. But the g-force plot looks like it has a mind of its own. What channel did you connect the gauge to in DashWare? At frst, I though you might just need to reverse the channel in DashWare (I think I did that to make the display intuitive), but yours is moving all over the places when there are no commensurate driver inputs (like in the middle of the straights). I went to check what channel I was using in Dashware, but I moved some files and that's preventing DashWare from loading--will check on it when I get back in town on Friday. I'm assuming that this is just an issue in DashWare, but have to peeked at the lat and lon acceleration data in RaceStudio, and does it make sense?

And, I'd love a copy of your files so I can get a Z4M analysis fix before I get out there in 2012? Maybe send the files to Matt at TrailBrake? (And, matt has a RaceStudio VIR track map up on his site, if you haven't already built it yourself.

F

Frank,

The gauge I selected for G-Force plot is using the Acceleration G's and Lateral G's it's one of the default gauges. Could you take a look and let me know what data channel your using.

Thanks

Randy
BMWCCA #442445

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Randy23185
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #62
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Frank,

The gauge I selected for G-Force plot is using the Acceleration G's and Lateral G's it's one of the default gauges. Could you take a look and let me know what data channel your using.

Thanks

Randy
Will do. In Philadelphia til timorrow night, so it'll probably be Friday before I can get back to you.
      12-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #63
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Frank,

Thanks

Randy
Hey Randy,

Here's what I used when I created the video that's i this thread's original post:

-When I exported the csv file, I selected the "GPS_LattAcc" and
GPS_LonAcc" channels, and NOT the "Acc_Laterale" and "Acc_Longitudin" channels--don't know that the latter wto are, or if they would work, but the former ones do work so go with those.

-I used the "Accel Circle wBackground" gauge; I modified the scale and background, though, so it looks different than yours.

-DashWare should automatically grab the two correct channels from the csv file, and link them to the gauge's X and Y inputs.

-i did reverse the lateral g input in the dashware gauge, as it seemed backwards to me--I like the dot swing right in a left-hand turn, and to the left in a right-hander. You can reverse the input in the input by going to the "Gauge's Designer" window (double-click the gauge from the video), and then to the "G-Force Plot Properties dialogue box (double-click the gauge in the Gauge Designer dialogue box), and clicking the "Flip Lateral G/X Axis" check box.

I'm hoping that your crazy g-force gauge is the result of having multiple lat/lon channels in the csv file, and that by exporting only the two channles I specified above, it'll solve the problem.

Let me know how that goes.

Frank
      12-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #64
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok so I am up and running. Like Randy, I do not have the selected gear working. I have the car set up with proper ECU and calculated gear selected with 6 gears through RS2.

On the solo DL is there an actually calibration mode that it goes into?
When I select it a screen briefly comes up stating its resetting it and thats it.

Randy the video looks good, you have to get a set of PFC06 pads and some DOT4 brake fluid like ATE2000 or ATE superblue, it really makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #65
RandysV10
MPOWERD
Rep

Garage List
2006 Z4M  [8.00]
2010 BMW M6  [9.00]
Quote:
Ok so I am up and running. Like Randy, I do not have the selected gear working. I have the car set up with proper ECU and calculated gear selected with 6 gears through RS2.

On the solo DL is there an actually calibration mode that it goes into?
When I select it a screen briefly comes up stating its resetting it and thats it.

Randy the video looks good, you have to get a set of PFC06 pads and some DOT4 brake fluid like ATE2000 or ATE superblue, it really makes a difference.
I have been looking at those, also need to swap out new rotors so in the market for them as well. I'm already running the ATE2000, put that in when I did the SS brake lines.

The calibration is performed when you have the Solo connected to your laptop using RS2.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #66
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

The calibration is performed when you have the Solo connected to your laptop using RS2.

got it, I'm going to give it a try right now... i'll update post with my results

OK, I'm back

So under live recordings via the ONLINE tab in RS2 the gear data is coming up as ERROR. When I go into solo to reset the gear calibration, Rs2 is telling me that the USB driver is not updated ... seems like an easy fix, but the driver for USB is updated and I restarted to computer to be sure. Result is the same.

Randy did you finally get the Solo DL to read your gears?

Last edited by sabbanick; 12-02-2011 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: update on results
Appreciate 0