ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
prodigal_m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Estoril Blue/Black F31

Has anyone run 335 rotors (blanks) on their MZ4?

I had been looking to replace my factory front rotors and was considering picking them up from www.racingbrake.com but the back breaking cost has kept me from pulling the trigger thus far. I have heard nothing but rave reviews (from the hack) and from a few others that have been running the rotors on their cars (not MZ4's.) I figure if I could get 3 or 4 years out of them it would definitely be worth the price of admission.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two_piece...tio_p/2102.htm

Forum member BTM pointed out to me that it's the same size as the 335i blanks (which should fit.) If they work that's a huge cost savings even over OEM rotors!

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...335d-pair.aspx

Has anybody tried this or am I going to be the first (after a bit more research of course.)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
ga41
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
Do you really want to go from a floating rotor setup to 1 piece ones? Sounds like a bit of a downgrade to me.

My tuppence worth...
      03-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
prodigal_m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga41 View Post
Do you really want to go from a floating rotor setup to 1 piece ones? Sounds like a bit of a downgrade to me.

My tuppence worth...
I share the same concerns but for $100 bucks a blank I'm thinking it may be worth it. (I figure that I can typically get a max of two years out of factory rotors on the track anyway.)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
there is no chance of an e9x 335 rotor fitting...

the hat depth dimension is completely different between the two.

///M ~ 1.000 inch
e9x ~ 1.688 inches

hat depth being the distance from the outer friction surface to the wheel mounting face.

the only way i see that working is to mount a spacer BEHIND the rotor and install a much less aggressive offset front wheel. do not do this. bad things will happen if you do.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
prodigal_m
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
there is no chance of an e9x 335 rotor fitting...

the hat depth dimension is completely different between the two.

///M ~ 1.000 inch
e9x ~ 1.688 inches

hat depth being the distance from the outer friction surface to the wheel mounting face.

the only way i see that working is to mount a spacer BEHIND the rotor and install a much less aggressive offset front wheel. do not do this. bad things will happen if you do.
This is what I was looking for...Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigal_m View Post
I had been looking to replace my factory front rotors and was considering picking them up from www.racingbrake.com but the back breaking cost has kept me from pulling the trigger thus far. I have heard nothing but rave reviews (from the hack) and from a few others that have been running the rotors on their cars (not MZ4's.) I figure if I could get 3 or 4 years out of them it would definitely be worth the price of admission.

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two_piece...tio_p/2102.htm

Forum member BTM pointed out to me that it's the same size as the 335i blanks (which should fit.) If they work that's a huge cost savings even over OEM rotors!

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...335d-pair.aspx

Has anybody tried this or am I going to be the first (after a bit more research of course.)
Not sure how it is now, but Racing Brake couldn't fulfill my order a year and a half back.

see email dated 12/2010

Thanks for your inquiry. We used to produce the Z4m front two-piece rotor, but have stopped production since demand was low. We can make more of them, but only if there is enough interest. Do you think that there would be several Z4M owners who might also be interested? We might have a one of our dealers run a group buy, since these rotors can also be used on the M3 E46 Competition model, and our dealer could cross-promote on two forums.

If you are interested in the rear rotors, we are working on those, and when they are complete, they will not have any hardware interference issues and will be a direct bolt-on. ETA for those would be about 16 weeks.

Let us know if you think there would be sufficient demand for these rotors.

Mike

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

That really is too bad there isn't enough interest. Potentially though, the hubs on the E46 M3 is the same as the hubs on the MZ4, so the same rotor would fit the M3. If y'all want to generate more interest, I'd start with the M3 folks first (and I've made this suggestion to RB as well).

I'm sure if you can get a set of 10 rotors (20 total) ordered they'd be happy to accommodate, regardless of whether or not it's for the MZ4.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0