ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > Canada
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
michaelyang601
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: STI Cayman S Black Edition Z4M

Garage List
Asking for advice

To all Experts in Canada.
i'm asking for some advice. I brought my car back in October 2015, both of the previous owners was taking very good care of the car. However, this car has been on road for 10 years, there are stone chips on the front bumper and the hood also some scratches on the lower part of the bumper , even though I did paint correction and touch up last year. Anyways, I'm thinking if I should paint my whole front end, including front bumper, hood, fenders and A Pillars. I got a quote for $1500 to paint all of them at European Autobody where Canada's only Ferrari and Maserati's Factory Authorized Repair Facility.

I'm thinking should I paint the front end and put a film protector on the car, or just save the money for something else. I won't take the car to track, this will be my weekend fun car only.

P.S: Does a lot ppl are really care about the original paints?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:15 PM   #2
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

My front bumper was painted by BMW when I bought it CPO from a dealership. They told me it would be painted and it was their standard practice. I've also contemplated giving my car a full respray with the few dings I've picked up over the years but haven't had time to do it. So long as the paint is done properly and not hiding accidents I don't see the problem.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #3
michaelyang601
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
My front bumper was painted by BMW when I bought it CPO from a dealership. They told me it would be painted and it was their standard practice. I've also contemplated giving my car a full respray with the few dings I've picked up over the years but haven't had time to do it. So long as the paint is done properly and not hiding accidents I don't see the problem.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah! definitely not trying to hiding any accident. Was also thinking if I should do it now or before winter storage
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #4
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep

^ That's a hard one to answer. If you do it now you will get to enjoy it but then what if it gets dinged/scratched/chipped from being driven. Doing it before storage means you will have to wait all Winter before you get to enjoy it. lol .. choices :P

I keep postponing mine due to track days and then winter storage. lol

Do it now and get a 3M protector put on
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 01:20 AM   #5
michaelyang601
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
^ That's a hard one to answer. If you do it now you will get to enjoy it but then what if it gets dinged/scratched/chipped from being driven. Doing it before storage means you will have to wait all Winter before you get to enjoy it. lol .. choices :P

I keep postponing mine due to track days and then winter storage. lol

Do it now and get a 3M protector put on

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking right now, I already done a full car paint correction including cquartz 2 years coating. Besides front end everything else looks like a new car now. I guess I'm going to paint the front end while I'm away for a business trip in 2 weeks. I will do the 3M Film Protector and then the cquartz again after installation of the film protector.

Any place to do 3M fil protector?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep

I recommend Marco. He did mine and is located in Toronto area.

Marco
(519) 903-0430
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
mtnbkr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 IB Z4MC

I took my front bumper to Auto Magicians a few months ago for a repaint after attempting to fill the headlamp washers and reflectors myself over the winter. Being my first time doing bodywork of any sort, I ended having them do the last bit of shaping the filled areas to match the curves. Now that it's back on the car and looking like new, the stone chips on the hood are more noticeable. But if I get the hood painted it won't match the stone chips on the side skirts ahead of the rear wheels..and if I got the side skirts done...well you get the idea
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
michaelyang601
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
I took my front bumper to Auto Magicians a few months ago for a repaint after attempting to fill the headlamp washers and reflectors myself over the winter. Being my first time doing bodywork of any sort, I ended having them do the last bit of shaping the filled areas to match the curves. Now that it's back on the car and looking like new, the stone chips on the hood are more noticeable. But if I get the hood painted it won't match the stone chips on the side skirts ahead of the rear wheels..and if I got the side skirts done...well you get the idea
Yeah I get you mean. The thing is my stone chips wasn't very noticeable now, it just some scratches at the bottom of my bumper. Still deciding if I should paint it or just leave it, since I've already done some coating work on my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
michaelyang601
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I recommend Marco. He did mine and is located in Toronto area.

Marco
(519) 903-0430
Thanks Mirko.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
AP2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: P100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelyang601 View Post