ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
View Poll Results: Extended maintenance / warranty?
Both 7 26.92%
Warranty only 5 19.23%
Maintenance Only 5 19.23%
None 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

05-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #23
VitaminT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Keep in mind that BMW offers three levels of extended warranty (at least last I checked). Powertrain (they have a name for it), second option is close to the new car warranty, and the the top end package is basically the second option plus nav/radio/sirius.

Note that none of these are exactly like the new car warranty as they don't cover things like broken cupholders, most interior cosmetic parts. I believe the CPO warranty is the same but maybe someone who is knowledgable about that can chime in.

I think there are all kinds of factors on cost of the packages but I got a quote a while back for something similar to CPO and it was the second level package for 2yr/50k tacked on to the new car warranty. It had a $50 deductable, WAS transferable for a small fee, and if you wanted when you sold the car you could get a prorated portion back.

I think they quoted me about $3500 for the M. Note that wasn't negotiated, just quoted.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #24
LHB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP

I'm currently in the market for a used Z4MC, so one of the things I did very quickly is price out the BMW extended warranties. It's pretty confusing because there are three different warranties you can get, as cited above, and you can get packages that are better for low mileage drivers that extend up to three years after the factory warranty expires.

The quote I got on the latter for an M Coupe (7 years, 70k miles past inservice date), with no negotiation, was:

$4100 for Platinum Package
$3660 for Gold Package (which is why I'm looking for a car without NAV)
$2495 for extended maintenance, which only goes out to 6 years, 100k miles past the in service date.

Shopping over the last several weeks, it appears to me that many of the CPO's are selling at about a $3k premium which I think is reasonable. If you have limited cash flow like I do, the idea of buying the CPO is very attractive since the warranty is financed at the same interest rate as the car, which is much lower than I'm paying on my CC's now, which is how I'd have to pay for a major repair if one hit.

I was told that BMW will only finance warranties after the purchase if the car was initially financed through them, but since I wasn't considering that at the time, I didn't pursue the matter.
Appreciate 0