ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
DrStephen
DrStephen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0si  [1.00]
my 4yr/50Kmile warranty runs out in 3/2011

Stella (2007 Coupe) drives like a dream - but is there anything I need to look for between now and 03/2011 to get addressed by BMW while the original warranty is still in effect?

Brakes and rotors are still good... interior is beautiful.... mileage will not be anywhere near 50K in 9 months (at the cusp of 16K right now).

My friend the mechanic said to take her on a trip to Asheville via the mountain route and do alot of heavy braking, shake things out, and maybe get rotors and pads replaced?
      05-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Head over to the Tail of the Dragon, or is it still closed due to rock slide?

Steve
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyDog View Post
Head over to the Tail of the Dragon, or is it still closed due to rock slide?

Steve
I'll be there next weekend! That reminds me, I should start a regional thread about it...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
DrStephen
DrStephen
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 3.0si  [1.00]
that would be quite a feat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
I'll be there next weekend! That reminds me, I should start a regional thread about it...
From Auburn, GA to Oregon..... that might just take my mileage to 50K! Then do that highway and take care of the pads and rotors

My family has a cabin in Mineral Bluff, GA, and I can either take the short route and be there in 100 miles, or go across Blood Mountain outside of Dallonega, GA and easily add 50 miles to the trip
      05-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStephen View Post
Stella (2007 Coupe) drives like a dream - but is there anything I need to look for between now and 03/2011 to get addressed by BMW while the original warranty is still in effect?

Brakes and rotors are still good... interior is beautiful.... mileage will not be anywhere near 50K in 9 months (at the cusp of 16K right now).

My friend the mechanic said to take her on a trip to Asheville via the mountain route and do alot of heavy braking, shake things out, and maybe get rotors and pads replaced?
That is incredibly stupid advice from your mechanic friend.
You need to have the dealer check the known problem areas on the car, which does not include the brakes. The brakes and rotors should be fine until about 50K miles in normal driving.

If this is a normal (non M) car, I think there have been some problems with the Valvetronic engines. You should probably have that carefully checked by the dealer before the warranty expires. Other than that I'm not familiar with any other problem areas but perhaps others can add other advice. If you are paranoid about being without warranty coverage, buy an extended warranty from a reputable company.
Appreciate 0