ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Blurry/Dirty Speedometer and Tach made new again.

What's up my there z4 lovers. So I bought my Z4m more than a year ago and ever since I've been driving with a dirty and blurry dash... so I decide to remove from the car and clean it.

When I removed the the back cover I found what I call "the buzzer" cus I find the sound it makes.... annoying!!!. I'm talking about the device that BEEEEPS BEEEEEEPS when you start your car, you forgot to put on your seat belt etc etc. I hate it - so I put a sticker on it to tone it down, you'll see it in pic #4.

Braking the dash apart was a piece of cake and I washed the heck out of it, with a Q-tip I cleaned around the speed....needle and the computer screen, I did the same to the right side and the middle. Once it dried up I put it back together and back in the car... now my dash looks like new. I spent no more than an hour doing everything.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
pic of it back together? cool work tho
      02-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

What did you use to clean it? Water, Windex? It looks like the surface of the display between the gauges is damaged(cloudy)?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
good job. Hope it works out for you. I remembered seeing a post here with another member tried the same thing and now his Tach is way off.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey gents, once I removed the silver pieces apart from the electronic mid section, I washed them with liquid dish soap and water...

A minute later after I tool the last pic, I used a gray 100% cotton t-shirt and dried everything to prevent water marks. Then with the same t-shirt very carefully I cleaned the speedo..., tach and around the other needles... the middle section was just greasy/dirty.... for this I sprayed a little Windex on the t-shirt and carefully I cleaned around the needles.

Just make sure you use your fingers to giggle the unit out of the car and putting it back... the unit has one single connection in the back that is pretty much dummy proof for anyone to damage the connection.

Trust me - there is nothing to it... just be gentle around the needles (don't move them around) I would think that you can damage something if you.

I did this Saturday afternoon and drove the car last night and today... things look a lot more clear and clean.

Laterz.

Last edited by JeffchaPz; 02-13-2012 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

In regards to covering the buzzer 100% like I did - ummmm
Well, I set up the computer to beep when I hit 75 mph, and now I can barely hear it. Mind you that I have a roaster and I have fairly small magnaflow cans in the back so my Z4m has a nice sound while cruising.

Yesterday I drove without the seat belt for about 1/4 of mile and I could hear it beeping.. but I doubt my wife hear it then.... perfect for me!!!

Just so you know....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
spr_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 Roadster

you now need to clean your camera because all of your pics are blurry, lol

good job though

also, how do you program it to beep at certain speeds? and can i program to hork or flash lights when i lock the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

SPR... if you have The nav system that's an option is on the left and 2nd from the top down.

If you want your lights to blink... I ordered a ODB2 reader / USB and used an application that is actually free or I can lend you a copy. I'm at work so I can't remember all the names... with that same reader and application I was able to make day driving lights come on as seen on the pic below my name and do many more cool changes to the car's computer.

I recommend that you do a search here or bimmerfest... I actually posted all the details about 6 months ago.

Jeff.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr_bimmer View Post
also, how do you program it to beep at certain speeds? and can i program to hork or flash lights when i lock the car?
You program the "speed beep" through the computer/radio. It may be an M-only thing or on newer models. Your dealership can program the rest.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Oh daaauuum! that would zuk then. doesn't sound practical that way.. it would probably drive you nuts if you set it to 70 and if you are cruising with traffic between 68 and 75mph it just going to beep every single time you pass 70....
Appreciate 0