ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
caemca
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4M

New guy trying to fit some spacers

Hi all!

It's a pleasure to be finally part of this community! I read a lot, but never posted anything...

Right now I'm waiting for the delivery of a new set of Michelin PSS in standard sizes for my Z4MC.
I'll mount them on the OEM 224s wheels and thought to throw some spacers in while I'm already at it.
I'd like to achieve the best handling/stance without getting the new rubber to rub and without having to roll the fenders or modify the camber/suspensions!

What would be the widest spacer to fit at the front? And at the rear?
Would I be able to continue to use them if I decided to lower my car in the future, using a Pro kit from Eibach or similar... or would the tires then rub?

Thank you a lot for your inspirations!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I used this to just calculate out the differences between the stock wheels and the apex's I have.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator#

Looks like to 'max' them out in the front you'd want something close to 20mm and for the rears something like a 15mm. I could be wrong on these measurements but if that runs close to my setup you won't have any trouble rubbing on stock suspension.

I'm sure there are some threads lingering around of what other's have tried, but I haven't ever dug them up.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 04:54 AM   #3
caemca
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post
I used this to just calculate out the differences between the stock wheels and the apex's I have.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator#

Looks like to 'max' them out in the front you'd want something close to 20mm and for the rears something like a 15mm. I could be wrong on these measurements but if that runs close to my setup you won't have any trouble rubbing on stock suspension.

I'm sure there are some threads lingering around of what other's have tried, but I haven't ever dug them up.
Thank you a lot for your answer Arsonism!
I read about people with rubbing issues at the rear fenders with 15mm spacers already, just because of especially square tires... in those cases usually Michelin PSSs!
What wheels do you run?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by caemca View Post
Thank you a lot for your answer Arsonism!
I read about people with rubbing issues at the rear fenders with 15mm spacers already, just because of especially square tires... in those cases usually Michelin PSSs!
What wheels do you run?
I have a set of Apex Arc 8's
Specs are:
Fronts: 18x9.5 et 35 with 255/35 rubber
Rears: 18x10 et 25 with 275/35 rubber

I actually didn't have rubbing issues until I changed FROM PSS's to a set of Bridgestone S104s. And even now it may be due to some wearing parts in the rear end over the actual tire itself. It's only under a hard bump do I ever find rubbing, never under actual load.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
GomboRombo
Roadie B4 Roady
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster

I have 12.5mm spacers on all four corners, on stock Z4M wheels. Lowered on H&R coilovers with a drop of about .9 inches in front and .6 in the rear. Tires are stock size Toyos. About 1k miles on this setup so far, no issues.
      07-28-2015, 12:30 AM   #6
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I've ordered 12mm spacers in the front and 10mm for the rear (should have them soon), and during my research I came across this picture with 12.5mm all round.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 12:34 AM   #7
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

And this one with 10mm all round:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
caemca
Registered
Rep

GomboRombo, your post reassures me since I went for 12mm all-round before i could read it!
Digs, those pictures are actually all I was looking for! Where did you find them?! Do you have more of the same? :P
According to the pictures you posted, I guess you went the right way ordering 10mm for the rear axle... those 12mm on the first picture do stick out quite a lot! I was worried about the hub lip problems with the 10mm spacers on BMWs, could you find some that assure good fitting?
I'm still in the process... got the front tires and the spacers, but still waiting for the rear tires since the shop sent me the wrong size (275, they were way too big for the stock wheels!) and these people are not very capable at exchange deliveries, as it seems...
GomboRombo, do your rear wheels stick out that much as well? :O
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #9
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I think I just did a Google search and went through some old threads for those pics, can't remember, but they are the best pics I could find.
Hmmm, maybe I should have ordered 12mm all round, oh well, I'm just getting the spacers while I decide what new wheels I want!

The first pic seems to have a wide rear tire with the 12.5mm making it look pokey..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 09:08 PM   #10
GomboRombo
Roadie B4 Roady
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster

I have a bit of neg camber on may Zed so it doesn't look pokey at all. I'm not fond of pokey myself. My rear hub lip measured about 11mm, if yours are the same you may have to grind or file off some material to make sure your spacer are flush with the hub. Attached are pics with 12.5 TMS spacer and H&R coils.
Attached Images

07-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #11
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Yeah that's nice Gombo
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #12
Digs
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

How did you go with your spacers, caemca?

Here is how mine came out with 10mm rear and 12mm front. I used H&R spacers and the 11mm hub lip did not need adjustment because the spacers give 14mm of length in that area. Fit like a dream

I'm lowered a little on KW V3 coils but need to adjust camber I think (and alignment). Looking better IMO but I need to go lower!
Attached Images

Last edited by Digs; 08-03-2015 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0