ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
BigGuy
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4

question bout swapping engines

is it possible to swap engines from a 3.0 si with a m roadster? just a curious newbie thought. responses would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

it's cheaper and easier to just buy the car you want
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #3
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
is it possible to swap engines from a 3.0 si with a m roadster? just a curious newbie thought. responses would be much appreciated.
Its possible, but difficult. You would have to not only switch the engine, but the transmission as well as the wiring harness/dme for the engine which is a bit of a task. Then there are the the little changes such as in the drivetrain/suspension which help to make the real M car a more balanced car. Like ward said, its going to be alot easier/cheaper to actually sell your car and get an M roadster
      05-02-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
jpv-USC
Rep
Drives: 2003 325Cic, red/b

there are literallyonly a handful of people that have transplanted the s54 engine,I think there is a reason for that.its probably alot of labor so people dont do it
      05-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
it's cheaper and easier to just buy the car you want
EXACTLY
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
ZEEFOUR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i, 03 MB E55 AMG

I agree too, your talking a different computer, power steering versus electric steering, etc. What a few folks have done and had great results is supercharging. A supercharged 3.0 liter puts out close to the same HP as a ///M and about 60 ft lb of torque more than ///M at much lower RPMs which makes it a hoot to drive! Its very reliable and more affordable than buying another car
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 02:25 AM   #7
jaz4
Rep
Drives: M240 convertable

Can get a nov 2006 with less than 1,000 miles for £33K same price as a new 3.0SI why bother and you will still get 2 1/2 years wty. wow the price just drops and drops.

so 10K + Drop in 6 months.

A year old Boxster S would set you back £38K and standard boxster £33K even 2005 standard boxsters are still £30K
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Everything is doable if you have money.

The easiest way to swap the engine would be to use an adapter plate for the tranny assuming its not a bolt up to the 3.0si tranny, and just run a standalone ECU and have it dyno tuned.

I don't understand why everyone thinks swaps are the end of the world. You don't need to swap EVERYTHING that comes on the M to build your own. If all you want is the engine, its doable.

All you need is a wrecked M3 or Z4M with the engine still in tact.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
Everything is doable if you have money.

The easiest way to swap the engine would be to use an adapter plate for the tranny assuming its not a bolt up to the 3.0si tranny, and just run a standalone ECU and have it dyno tuned.

I don't understand why everyone thinks swaps are the end of the world. You don't need to swap EVERYTHING that comes on the M to build your own. If all you want is the engine, its doable.

All you need is a wrecked M3 or Z4M with the engine still in tact.
I agree with the first bit, but the rest is way too much of an oversimplifacation. There's more to it than just swapping engines and fitting it to the tranny. The entire engine bay is different. Almost everything under the hood would have to be swapped out. Plus if you have a 5 spd manual you're not going to get the most out of the engine, so you'll probably want to upgrade that too. While you're at it you might as well pull a smg tranny out of an E46 M3 and stick in there

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
If all you want is the engine, its doable.
If all you want is the engine, all you're getting is the extra horses, and if all you want is more horsepower, there are better ways of going about it. If you want the performance of an M, you'll need the suspension, hydraulic steering, M-diff, etc. - suddenly, spending $10 grand more for the M seems a bargain.

This mod is similar to a threesome with Paris Hilton and Britney Spears - sure, it's do-able, but that doesn't mean it's sensible.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #11
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
If all you want is the engine, all you're getting is the extra horses, and if all you want is more horsepower, there are better ways of going about it. If you want the performance of an M, you'll need the suspension, hydraulic steering, M-diff, etc. - suddenly, spending $10 grand more for the M seems a bargain.

This mod is similar to a threesome with Paris Hilton and Britney Spears - sure, it's do-able, but that doesn't mean it's sensible.
I agree with you that there are easier ways to make power if that's all you want, but I just also want to reiterate that while the M cars are simply amazing for power delivery and handling, one can easily outperform it with other modifications that don't require everything the M has, such as the hydraulic steering and M differential. Leave the electric steering alone, get a quaiffe, KW coilovers are probably cheaper then the M suspension and offer significantly better handling and adjustibility. There's endless opportunities out there and there's no point in fearing what seems like a daunting task. Set a goal and aim to achieve it. It's all doable.

And with my own car, with my own goals, given time and money, I will have a Z4 that outperforms the M in every way possible. (Mind you I also set a budget so as NOT to exceed the price of a brand new Z4M.)

But regards to simply wanting more power, what about the uniqueness factor?

For example, last time I was in a car shop a few days ago, I saw a 240sx with a 2JZ sitting in the engine bay waiting for the front mount and turbo to be bolted in.

Why not bolt in an RB? its much easier... then again... who the heck have you seen put a Toyota engine inside a Nissan? Nice to be the first to do things.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
I agree with the first bit, but the rest is way too much of an oversimplifacation. There's more to it than just swapping engines and fitting it to the tranny. The entire engine bay is different. Almost everything under the hood would have to be swapped out. Plus if you have a 5 spd manual you're not going to get the most out of the engine, so you'll probably want to upgrade that too. While you're at it you might as well pull a smg tranny out of an E46 M3 and stick in there
As far as I can tell about the engine bay, its just the transmission tunnel that is larger on the M due to the larger tranny.

Its a pretty damn big engine bay and I wouldn't worry about the engine not fitting. Hell Hartge and ACS have been shoving V8's and twin turbo engines under the hood of many a Z4 for years.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #14
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you that there are easier ways to make power if that's all you want, but I just also want to reiterate that while the M cars are simply amazing for power delivery and handling, one can easily outperform it with other modifications that don't require everything the M has, such as the hydraulic steering and M differential. Leave the electric steering alone, get a quaiffe, KW coilovers are probably cheaper then the M suspension and offer significantly better handling and adjustibility. There's endless opportunities out there and there's no point in fearing what seems like a daunting task. Set a goal and aim to achieve it. It's all doable.

And with my own car, with my own goals, given time and money, I will have a Z4 that outperforms the M in every way possible. (Mind you I also set a budget so as NOT to exceed the price of a brand new Z4M.)
It takes more than Coilovers to make a Z4 suspension better than the M Coupe's. You may have a point with adjustability though... And the electric steering is crap, lets face it, you get almost no feedback from the road and there's the tramlining and maintanence issues.

I think the second part is a hell of a lofty goal. Unless you are doing all of your own labor, good luck to you.

Quote:
As far as I can tell about the engine bay, its just the transmission tunnel that is larger on the M due to the larger tranny.
realoem.com

From the hood down you got lots different.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0