ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Helmet Recommendation for HPDE

Been using my black Shoei motorcycle helmet for auto-x but would now like a dedicated helmet for HPDE, my budget is <$300 and I narrowed it down to the following full face helmets:

HJC AR10 II - 299
Bell Sport - 279
G-force Modified - 219
Zamp FSA-2 - 169

Does anyone have any experience with any of these?
      08-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

I've got a Zamp that I've been using for a few years, it's been a great helmet but it's starting to deteriorate a bit with age. That being said if I had to choose 1 from your list I'd go with the HJC AR!0 II, know quite a few people running them with great success. It's SA2010 as well so no worries about replacement do to age anytime soon.
      08-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I have the Bell Sport, but it did not cost $279.. that is wayyy too much for that helmut.

I will talk to my buddy, he just bought a new SA2010 for $190.00..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Bell Sport here. Tried G-Force first but couldn't make it fit. The Bell is more oval in plan view, the G-Force more round. Fit is everything. I'm happy with the Bell, particularly at it's price point.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
Bell Sport here. Tried G-Force first but couldn't make it fit. The Bell is more oval in plan view, the G-Force more round. Fit is everything. I'm happy with the Bell, particularly at it's price point.
^WHS
There is a huge difference in fitment brand to brand
AND model to model.
I highly recommend finding a place to try them on, then look for your best deal.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I have the Bell Sport, but it did not cost $279.. that is wayyy too much for that helmut.

I will talk to my buddy, he just bought a new SA2010 for $190.00..
If you can get me ordering info that'd be much appreciated. The Bell is my first preference.

MFGJR / intgr8r - thanks for the feedback & recommendation
      08-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
^WHS
There is a huge difference in fitment brand to brand
AND model to model.
I highly recommend finding a place to try them on, then look for your best deal.
X100. Try them on, walk around, see how it feels after 10-15 minutes. You'll be amazed at how uncomfortable some helmets can become which first seem to fit OK.
      08-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

http://www.soloracer.com/helmets.html

That's where I got my pyrotec. Lots of choices, especially if you don't mind a SA2005.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
If you can get me ordering info that'd be much appreciated. The Bell is my first preference.
My buddy bought his new helmet from the same place I bought mine: Apexperformance.net.

He bought the ZAMP FSA-2 for $169.00. Free shipping.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
My buddy bought his new helmet from the same place I bought mine: Apexperformance.net.

He bought the ZAMP FSA-2 for $169.00. Free shipping.
Yea that's where I got my price, will most likely get from there... plus they have a 10% coupon
      08-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Mine came from Apex too, and they provided good advice on changing brands to find a good fit. Still had to pay shipping to send a few back, but not a big deal in the big picture. Would definitely deal with them again.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Why are all the car helmets so boooring?
I want something more crazy like ..

or at least

Last edited by SmartBastard; 08-03-2011 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
My moto helmet has some stuff going on but for car, prefer something bland/white... I guess b/c on a bike everyone sees it whereas not the case in a car (unless you drive a vert) so no point in paying up for something fancy. My moto helmet below:

08-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep

That's a cool helmet ... anyone has experience with tracking your car in moto helmet? For example is a moto helmet warmer since it depends on air coming through the vents? I'm no concerned with the safety as much as with comfort ...

Btw going to buy the 2nd helmet I posted - NEXX XR1R Cafe Racer
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #15
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
I like my Bell Star. Last years inventory is heavily discounted at the bell store .com if you're interested (http://www.thebellstore.com/Helmets/star.html)

Last edited by johanness; 08-04-2011 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBastard View Post
I'm no concerned with the safety as much as with comfort ...
If you're more concerned with comfort than safety, why wear a helmet at all?

The difference between SA (auto) and M (motorcycle) helmet standards, is that SA helmets have fire resistant liners, and are tested to withstand MULTIPLE impact, while M helmets are tested for single impact only. The major difference in accident and impact protection for both, is that when you have a motorcycle accident, you're only likely to hit something with your head once. While in an automotive roll over at speed, your head will impact various parts of the car (a pillar, b pillar, roof, steering wheel...etc) multiple times. Also the risk of fire is higher in a car motorsport related crash than motorcycle related crash.

Another difference is M helmets require a larger and wider view port.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #17
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
If you're more concerned with comfort than safety, why wear a helmet at all?

The difference between SA (auto) and M (motorcycle) helmet standards, is that SA helmets have fire resistant liners, and are tested to withstand MULTIPLE impact, while M helmets are tested for single impact only. The major difference in accident and impact protection for both, is that when you have a motorcycle accident, you're only likely to hit something with your head once. While in an automotive roll over at speed, your head will impact various parts of the car (a pillar, b pillar, roof, steering wheel...etc) multiple times. Also the risk of fire is higher in a car motorsport related crash than motorcycle related crash.

Another difference is M helmets require a larger and wider view port.
Because the helmet is required on the track.

I get the fire resistance, however I don't wear a fire resistant suit (and I guess not many of you either), so I guess it's pointless. And for the multiple impact thing - if I roll my car several times, I do want to die
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #18
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:

I get the fire resistance, however I don't wear a fire resistant suit (and I guess not many of you either), so I guess it's pointless. And for the multiple impact thing - if I roll my car several times, I do want to die
lol
      08-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #19
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:

These helmets aren't designed for your average HPDE champions. SA helmet standards are designed for real Motorsports where they put the top tree finishers at the end of the day on a podium, where roll over dangers and fire dangers are REAL.

And most of these guys would like to walk away from a roll over accident.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #20
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

ordering a helmet unseen and untried is the worst decision you can make. not only could you get the wrong size, but you could get a helmet too heavy, with poor visibility, or poor ventilation. its like buying race seats - u don't buy seats you've never sat in.

if u are in NJ go to stable energies in garfield nj. they have about 3 dozen helmets to try on.

if you are in New England area - go to HMS Motorsports.

for other areas, please list where you can go.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #21
Smurfskier
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 z4 3.0

I bought a bell br1 last year and really like it. Good visibility and comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #22
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
These helmets aren't designed for your average HPDE champions. SA helmet standards are designed for real Motorsports where they put the top tree finishers at the end of the day on a podium, where roll over dangers and fire dangers are REAL.

And most of these guys would like to walk away from a roll over accident.
I understand what you are saying and agree, however I'm just going for my first track day and wanted my own helmet. It's a very empty track and I wont be pushing it to the limits (my own and/or the car's) so I hope I wont be "needing" the helmet at all

I shouldn't post it in this topic since it's about HPDE championship, but I was looking for a helmet and found this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
ordering a helmet unseen and untried is the worst decision you can make. not only could you get the wrong size, but you could get a helmet too heavy, with poor visibility, or poor ventilation. its like buying race seats - u don't buy seats you've never sat in.

if u are in NJ go to stable energies in garfield nj. they have about 3 dozen helmets to try on.

if you are in New England area - go to HMS Motorsports.

for other areas, please list where you can go.
Yes, I know, read about this several times and I know I'm making a mistake already. I picked a helmet with a very neutral shape and did all test I could find to figure out what kinda size/shape I should buy. The helmet comes with additional padding to suit your head perfectly and also has a very good ventilation (for motorcycle helmet). I hope it's gonna be okay. About the visibility, I heard that motorcycling helmets have in general bigger visors and this special one was praised about having a very nice view out of it (as for a motorcycling helmet).

Will let you know how it went when I have my first track day behind me. Meanwhile let me know how you feel about it after reading a review:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...met/nexx-xr1r/
Appreciate 0