ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
jdtorreride
Rep
Drives: Interlogos Blue Z4M Coupe

Windshield rubber glazing replacement

I purchased a new windshield rubber trim glazing from ECS Tuning but am reluctant to take out the old glazing. Can anyone offer some advice on the proper procedure to replace the seal. I don't want to get into a can of worms I won't be able to finish. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Did you have the glass out, or did you just replace this bit?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
jdtorreride
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Did you have the glass out, or did you just replace this bit?

No, all I triying to do is replace the rubber seal around the windshield without taking out the windshield. Can it be done?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Took me about 15 minutes. Most time was spent cleaning the rubber confetti out of the groove, since my old one had turned to dust.

There's another thread right here where peeps are fretting over goop to hold it in. I'm 90% certain there's no goop required. There was no goop on mine when I took it out and I didn't use any to put the new one in.
Once you have it out you realize it "seals" little or nothing. It's mostly cosmetic.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
jdtorreride
Rep

Thanks for your help. It sounds like it's a fairly easy job now that I know the windshield doesn't have to come out.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
bluecobra
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe

The windshield doesn't have to come out but it sure would make it easier. the rubber is supposed to sit on the edge of the windshield and if there is a lot of sealant that pushed out around the glass it can make it difficult to get it in there to stay. I cleaned out a lot of the old sealant with a razor blade and a plastic scraper but in the end the rubber would not stay put on the driver's side at speeds over 90mph. Luckily the right side was attached good so I didn't loose the gasket.

Like everybody said the rubber is purely cosmetic. I ended up putting a couple small spots of silicone in the spots where it would not hold at speed and it worked great and looks factory just like the original and the silicone won't hurt anything and can easily be removed if I replace the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
jdtorreride
Rep

Windshield rubber glazing removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecobra View Post
The windshield doesn't have to come out but it sure would make it easier. the rubber is supposed to sit on the edge of the windshield and if there is a lot of sealant that pushed out around the glass it can make it difficult to get it in there to stay. I cleaned out a lot of the old sealant with a razor blade and a plastic scraper but in the end the rubber would not stay put on the driver's side at speeds over 90mph. Luckily the right side was attached good so I didn't loose the gasket.

Like everybody said the rubber is purely cosmetic. I ended up putting a couple small spots of silicone in the spots where it would not hold at speed and it worked great and looks factory just like the original and the silicone won't hurt anything and can easily be removed if I replace the windshield.
I/m in the process of changing the rubber glazing around the windshield and ran into a roadblock and need some advise. I removed the windshield lower cowl grill and began to remove the windshield glazing starting at the lower right corner of windshield. All was going well until I reached the top right corner of the windshield. After removing the glazing just past the corner I hand to increase my effort considerably to remove the top portion of the rubber glazing when the glazing ripped. I tried to grab the rubber seal with pliars but the galzing will not budge. The clearance between the windshield and the roof panel is smaller than on the sides of the windshield causing the problem I've run into. Does anyone have any ideas how or special tools required to remove the rest of the seal. Do I have to remove the windshield? Please help!:
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Where in Massachusetts are you JD?

I just did mine last week, second time I did it.

If you're in W.Mass I can shoot by.

You really just need to pull hard, it's just attached by some sticky butyl tape.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
jdtorreride
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Where in Massachusetts are you JD?

I just did mine last week, second time I did it.

If you're in W.Mass I can shoot by.

You really just need to pull hard, it's just attached by some sticky butyl tape.

GammaZeta thanks for the reply. That would be great, I live in Southwick, Ma about a mile from the Granby Ct border. Where are you located?

JD
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Yeah, I'm right down the road to you on the Chicopee/South Hadley line.

Working on refinishing my Mstache tonight!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
jdtorreride
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Yeah, I'm right down the road to you on the Chicopee/South Hadley line.

Working on refinishing my Mstache tonight!
I know the area well. I grew up in Chicopee and moved to South Hadley while in high school. Do you live in Chicopee or South Hadley? Most of my family still live in South Hadley.

It's funny that you are working on your Mstache that is the next item on my hit list to get done. I would like to get together with you.

John

413-364-7169
Appreciate 0