ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

inside cabin rear plastic tray rattles; dynamat anyone¿

so i got a sub installed in my z4 and it sounds really good and hits pretty hard. problem is that with the top up (closed position) something rattles. i found out if i spin around and put about 10-15 lbs of pressure (push down with my hand) on the plastic tray just under the rear window that the sound completely goes away.

with the top open the rattle is almost not noticeable at all. so my question is if there is a way to remove that piece only or if you can put dynamat on that piece or how thick of layer can you put before it would intrude with the operation of the convertible top??

has anyone removed this inner plastic tray below the window or figured out someway to keep it from rattling (vibrating)?? thanks,

*i did find an old thread mentioning removing the entire tray from the trunk area but after doing that to install the coilovers i'm really not looking at that as a first option
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=rattle
      05-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
If you remove the 'Compartment Floor' ie. the tray, then you will have to jumper out the Compartment Floor switch so you can put your softop down.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

It's very easy to remove.
Rotate the edge of the "bellows" that connects the rear of the tray to the bottom of the window.
It's connected to the tray with a "J" hook channel.
It should pop right off. Then the tray is held to the bits with the knobs at each side with 2 plastic widgets. They just push out and then the whole thing comes out.

As Shipkiller said, the car will think the tray is in the up position and prevent you from putting the top down unless you jumper it out.
      05-15-2014, 02:08 AM   #4
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
It's very easy to remove.
Rotate the edge of the "bellows" that connects the rear of the tray to the bottom of the window.
It's connected to the tray with a "J" hook channel.
It should pop right off. Then the tray is held to the bits with the knobs at each side with 2 plastic widgets. They just push out and then the whole thing comes out.
i do this from the inside of the car right?

so how do i jump it, (something about putting tape over something i think i read)...?
      05-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I just removed my rear tray and saved 8lbs. It comes with added road noise, but its fun to throw stuff into the trunk from the driver's seat.

Also, like someone mentioned, there is a thing in the middle that must be depressed to allow the top to operate.
      05-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty_sojah View Post
i do this from the inside of the car right?

so how do i jump it, (something about putting tape over something i think i read)...?
Do it from the trunk. Turn the knobs 1/2 way to get some slack in the "bellows", then unhook it from the tray.
Once you get it out, you'll see the bit on the front of it that hits the switch.
You can either jam something in there, or maybe you can get to the switch wires and connect them together.