ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
z4mcanada
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

How to remove battery in Z4 M for winter storage

Hi Everyone,

I would like to remove battery from my M roadster for winter storage. I was able to remove trunk carpeted battery cover that conceals the battery by undoing 3 clips on the side and 3 screws on the top. Once the battery was exposed, I was able to remove front post holding the battery and disconnect negative terminal and vent tube.

Now the issue is with positive terminal which consists of a large red cable with red and black plastic connectors attached to the battery. I found 1 red cover that I was able to open to find a screw holding the clamp for the positive terminal. I removed the screw and disconnect the positive cable, however the thick red cable is still somehow attached to the battery preventing the battery from sliding forward.

Can someone help explaining how exactly that red thick cable can be disconnected from the battery and hopefully attach some pictures for the entire battery removal procedure for M roadsters and coupes.

Best Regards.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Neegra
Private
Rep
Drives: TiAg/Imola MC

IIRC, when I removed mine the positive terminal connection felt pretty tight on the post even though I had loosened the fastener on the clamp. Make sure you loosened the fastener that closes the clamp on the battery post. I think there were two fasteners on mine, one that attached the wire to the clamp, and one that attached the clamp to the post. You can also rotate it (wiggle it back and forth) to make sure it is loose on the post. Then you might need to wiggle it back and forth while pulling up to get it to slide off the post. Hope this kinda helps. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
z4mcanada
Rep

Thanks for the reply. Would you be able to provde pictures to show where the second fastener is (the one that attaches the clamp together with a thick red wire to the post)? I have already figured out how to remove the first fastener that attaches the wire to the clamp.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I took an easy way out and installed a quick disconnect cable directly to the battery. That way I could just connect it to the Battery Tender whenever the car sits for more than a week.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I'm just curious, why remove the battery from the car? Why not just disconnect it, or plug in a tender?
      12-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
z4mcanada
Rep

no electrical plug available nearby. Need to take the battery out to charge periodically during winter. Would appreciate if someone could provide pictures and step by step solution on how to remove that battery
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
wdupdog
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4

FWIW...Last winter, I stored my Z with a battery tender on it. After four months, all worked great. The two cars on either side, an 02 Boxter and a 5 series just unhooked negative cable. After five n a half months I watched while they both fired up just as strong as mine. I was told the cold even retards the discharge rate on a battery. This year I just unhooked the negative cable. Should wake up just fine next spring. We'll see.
Appreciate 0