ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

(From the Crass Materialism Side) Thinking of selling Z4M for E93 M3 DCT

Unlike the poor nearly 30 lost soul thinking of giving it all away and going for a long walk, this 50+ is still on the crass materialism train and finds the Z4M a bit too small. My lower back in particular can suffer after my 22 mile commute.

So test drove 2008 M3 Convertible with the DCT and I was blown away. I had an M5 with SMG and it was far superior to drive.

I have owned an E46 Coupe and Convertible (which seemed fat and slow) and this car, despite weighing almost 1,000 pounds more than the Z4M, was lightening fast.

So...long walk... or buy M3
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I say go for it. An E9x M3 will certainly be my next car as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Waxing crass and meaningful - Yes

+ 1 for the crass materialism.
Already have my meaning of life lesson from 20 years of Marine Corps service. Took a few years of perspective once it was over to realize it.

1. Go "live" "your" life, all that really matters is you and yours.
2. To prove the point of rule #1, ten seconds after you are dead, nearly everyone has moved on. If you are remembered, its a photo on the wall or or a toast with a good Bourbon. Dont try this out too early.
3. Make sure you have options. Change happens. Flexibility, and the ability to be flexible are the base of success.
4. If you don't have options see rule #3. Around, over or through, let nothing stop you.
5. Find a day job that matters, i.e. you ENJOY coming to work. If not see rule #3.
6. A few distractions are a good thing. Get distracted, and remember rule #3
7. Finally, "Nil Illegitemi Carborundum." They just aren't worth your time.

I had good times and bad times and finally realized the meaning of "service" many times meant true sacrifice in pursuit of that service. "All gave some, and some more than others." Service can be a great thing, gives you a resounding feeling of meaning that you never even realize until its over.

In the end, after 20 years of it, I'm chasing the life, the toys, and the experiences that I want. My back's still great, so I'm keeping the Si - for now....
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC, 06 X5 4.4i, 99 323i

Keep the Z4M for short commutes and buy the M3 for long commutes
      12-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
jthorst75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4 ///M Coupe

I'd go M3 or anything that has DCT, thats worth the price of admission anyday!
      12-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

I'm with you. I have a deposit from a potential buyer for my M Coupe, and I've started looking at specs for my E92 M3 I love the M Coupe, but the wife it taking the E39 M5, and I love BMW V8's and need a little more room.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
If its getting truly uncomfortable for you to drive then i say go for it, because my brother has an 11 e92 M3 and it is indeed much spacier than our go-karts, but i'd say stick to the good ol manual gearbox!!
      12-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Unlike the poor nearly 30 lost soul thinking of giving it all away and going for a long walk, this 50+ is still on the crass materialism train and finds the Z4M a bit too small. My lower back in particular can suffer after my 22 mile commute.

So test drove 2008 M3 Convertible with the DCT and I was blown away. I had an M5 with SMG and it was far superior to drive.

I have owned an E46 Coupe and Convertible (which seemed fat and slow) and this car, despite weighing almost 1,000 pounds more than the Z4M, was lightening fast.

So...long walk... or buy M3
With DCT, even the heavier vert moves a bit faster than the Z4M. The coupe is faster yet (200 lbs lighter).

The E92x M3 was the most comfortable car I've owned. Especially if it has EDC (which has 3 suspension modes). I pretty much left it in "normal" mode since that adjusts on the fly to conditions, but cruising on the highway in "comfort" mode is really nice. You can pretty much drive it for 8-10 hours (a very long drive) and not feel beat up or tired at the end of the day.

A few things to consider with this car:
If it's an 08 with DCT, make sure it has the latest DCT software. There was lots of lag (no power for several seconds, other issues as well) with the earlier versions of DCT software. This isn't the transmission itself, it's a software issue. There is a thread that describes the issues/fix on this over at M3 Post about it. The final software update summer of 2010 fixed all of these issues and with that the DCT is awesome.

The Idrive in the 09s is light years better than that in the 08s. The 08 Idrive is light years ahead of what's in the Z4, but still, if I had to choose a MY I'd go with the 09.

I highly recommend EDC. Especially with 19s. While w/o it the ride is way more comfortable than the Z4M, if you're going to get an M3 you might as well get EDC. If you start missing the stiffer ride of the Z4M, just pop it into "sport" mode!

I'd strongly encourage getting the DCT if you're buying the E93. It increases the acceleration significantly over the MT, and that eliminates some of the weight penalty with the hardtop vert. With an MT, it's not slow, but more comparable with the car you have now.

Some of the early 08s had some bearing issues. Was it an official issue? No, but there were several posters that had this problem. That shouldn't affect the DCT (that came out later in that MY).

Last edited by Finnegan; 12-04-2011 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep

I found an 08 for $41,999 with DCT, EDC, 18" wheels, Melbourne Red over Black with Nav. 26k miles, warranty until 9/12. Has one accident involving left front impact, It hit a motor vehicle, Vehicle functional, Airbags did not deploy

Needs new front tires.

Otherwise very nice car. Wife hates the color.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
boondocksaint
Penfold, shush!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

My next car will be a GT-R. Until then, I'll take my fairly rare, fun to drive, three-pedaled M-Coupe. The M3s just don't do it for me, but then, that's why they make lotsa cars. Do whatever makes you happy. Otherwise, what the Hell good is the money?

Or, as they say at certain auto auctions, "Let your money bring you happiness!"
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
My next car will be a GT-R. Until then, I'll take my fairly rare, fun to drive, three-pedaled M-Coupe. The M3s just don't do it for me, but then, that's why they make lotsa cars. Do whatever makes you happy. Otherwise, what the Hell good is the money?

Couldn't have said it better myself. That's why I no longer have my M3! Mighty good car, but the Z4M just scratches the itch better for me. But we're really talking about choices between the best of the best anyway.

I think it may be a good choice mj. As much as I love my Z4M would not be the best choice for anyone with a slightly cranky back. The M3 on the other hand, especially with EDC, is especially kind in that regard.

So mj, red doesn't float the wife's boat? I like that red/black combo myself. If you can get by the color, FWIW I'd make sure the car can be put right to spec on alignment. Without knowing who did the repairs I'd want to make sure the body wasn't out of spec, and that the suspension lines up perfectly. It should if the collision wasn't severe and if the work was done correctly. Having been there, and done that after a collision, some insurance companies and repair shops are satisfied with "good enough" (which isn't for me). I'd just want to make sure I was getting my money's worth.

If you can't make it past the color, hang in there. Another is sure to turn up before spring, although you might have to drive a bit to get her.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #12
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
+ 1 for the crass materialism.
Already have my meaning of life lesson from 20 years of Marine Corps service. Took a few years of perspective once it was over to realize it.

1. Go "live" "your" life, all that really matters is you and yours.
2. To prove the point of rule #1, ten seconds after you are dead, nearly everyone has moved on. If you are remembered, its a photo on the wall or or a toast with a good Bourbon. Dont try this out too early.
3. Make sure you have options. Change happens. Flexibility, and the ability to be flexible are the base of success.
4. If you don't have options see rule #3. Around, over or through, let nothing stop you.
5. Find a day job that matters, i.e. you ENJOY coming to work. If not see rule #3.
6. A few distractions are a good thing. Get distracted, and remember rule #3
7. Finally, "Nil Illegitemi Carborundum." They just aren't worth your time.

I had good times and bad times and finally realized the meaning of "service" many times meant true sacrifice in pursuit of that service. "All gave some, and some more than others." Service can be a great thing, gives you a resounding feeling of meaning that you never even realize until its over.

In the end, after 20 years of it, I'm chasing the life, the toys, and the experiences that I want. My back's still great, so I'm keeping the Si - for now....
I appreciate your mindset, and my sincere thanks for your service to this great country!

Brgds,
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #13
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep

I have driven the car extensively now (this dealership let you take it out alone for hours). No pulling even in hard stops. I am trying to get my body shop guy to check the car so I can confirm nothing major.

This is what the carfax says: "Accident reported Involving left front impact It hit a motor vehicle Vehicle functional Airbags did not deploy"

Here is the car:

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #14
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post

I would love a GT-R, but can't afford the maintenance.
This was one of the reasons I did not buy a Porsche.

Go in with your eyes open...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
I am in the same boat as you and going with the 6 speed if I buy it. I have the idrive on my X5 and love it but need to shift with the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #16
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep

I had my body shop guy inspect the car. he said the car was professionally repaired with bmw parts and there are no issues. Dealer says car properly serviced, so I am go today to buy.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #17
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Quote:
I had my body shop guy inspect the car. he said the car was professionally repaired with bmw parts and there are no issues. Dealer says car properly serviced, so I am go today to buy.
Enjoy and don't look back.

As my father says about life:
"this isn't a dress rehearsal."
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #18
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep

Well I did it...Got the deal I wanted on my trade in and got 2.49% for 60 months on the new car. Car is scheduled for service at the BMW dealer on Thurday which will include the DCT upgrade. My back feels better already.

Thanks for all the great input.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #19
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I did it...Got the deal I wanted on my trade in and got 2.49% for 60 months on the new car. Car is scheduled for service at the BMW dealer on Thurday which will include the DCT upgrade. My back feels better already.

Thanks for all the great input.

Excellent, and congratulations! Looks like a winner on all fronts for you!
Appreciate 0