ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

About to buy a 2005 3.0i Z4. Have some concerns/questions.

OK. After several weeks of searching, I've found a 2005 3.0 Z4 thats within my budget and considering the features/packages it comes with, I think I'm getting it at a good price. I left my deposit today and hoping to pick it up next week.

Here are some things that are of concern and I'm hoping you guys can help me.

1) On top of the steering column between the steering wheel and dash gauge, there is small black stub like thing with grooves in it. What is that used for?

2) The bottom of the rear view mirror has a clearish bulbous looking thing, what is that?

3) The car comes with only 1 key. This key doesn't have remote functions on it, just a BMW logo that lights up the key. (my old e36 M3 had this type of key). Does this mean the car doesn't have remote functions such as keyless entry / remote top control / trunk release? How much would it set me back to get a new key with these remote functions from the dealer? Would the car have remote key entry by factory default?

4) Doesn't appear to have an alarm system installed (I didn't see a alarm horn in the engine compartment). Should I go for a BMW alarm system which has motion detection or should I go for an aftermarket system? (Again, will this affect remote key entry?)

5) How do I tell if the car has Xenon lights or not? When I turn on the headlights, they kinda glow on and off and has a purplish tint (unlike my standard halogens in my truck which just come on and off.

6) The headlight housing is hazy and oxidized. I'm planning to use one of those headlight restoration kits on it. Do these headlights get hazy easily? Do they make glass ones that can be swapped? (I did that in my e36 and the clarity lasted forever)

5) And my biggest concern: The top goes up and down smoothly and relatively quickly without any noticeable noise etc. However, in order for the top to become disengage from the front (latch?), I have to give it a slight nudge upward on the black plastic party located up front bottom of the roof. Is that normal? If not, what can be causing it? Closing works and closes tight without any manual intervention.

That is all I can think of for now. Any other tips,etc. would be helpful.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

I'll take...

#1 - That's the microphone for the bluetooth phone.
#2 - "Alarm is armed" or "doors are locked" indicator.
#5 - Sounds like Xenon to me.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete

Last edited by RADRACR; 12-03-2011 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

3) That is not the original key to the car, it should be diamond shaped with three buttons, no light. It's about $200 a key to get them replaced.

5) The Xenon lights look kinda white/blue/purple. When shinning against a wall you will see a distinct line, when you turn on the brights, the line (from the shutters) moves up. The actual brightness doesn't change.

6) There really aren't any good aftermarket options for the headlights.
      12-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Number 5: Lubricate the rollers for the top locks. Seems like the locks, the two fingers on the top, are getting hung up.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Number 5: Lubricate the rollers for the top locks. Seems like the locks, the two fingers on the top, are getting hung up.
That is exactly correct. This happens from time to time and is nothing to worry about. Just get some white lithium grease, smear it on a cloth or your finger, and apply to the rollers in the windshield frame and the hooks on the roof front edge. I had this problem and the grease cured it instantly.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep

:)

Thanks for the input everyone! Really appreciate it and learning a lot from these forums. Can't wait to take delivery of the car next week and joining the new family. (Coming from e36 M3 family).
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

#3 - that is the valet key; which was the only key the dealer had when I bought mine as well. Had the local BMW dealer order a new key for me, think I paid around $135 and had it in 2 days; comes with instructions on how to pair it with the car, takes 30 seconds.

#6 - I had haze on my headlights as well; I tried several types of bottle polishes, none really worked until I bought the 3M headlight restoration kit, would highly recommend it ($18.97 at Walmart, a little more expensive at the other automotive stores).

Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirOpsMgr View Post
#3 - that is the valet key; which was the only key the dealer had when I bought mine as well. Had the local BMW dealer order a new key for me, think I paid around $135 and had it in 2 days; comes with instructions on how to pair it with the car, takes 30 seconds.
I thought the Valet key was plastic?
      12-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just going by what the BMW parts mgr told me when I showed him the key and ordered the OEM remote function key.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
6) There really aren't any good aftermarket options for the headlights.
Unless you like the angel eye replacement versions on EBay. At least they are cheap...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-08-BMW-Z4...item3cb89d4f6c
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep

From what someone wrote earlier, I may have factory xenons (have to confirm next week) and this replacement won't probably work for me. In a way, I don't want to remove my factory xenons and convert to halogen either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Unless you like the angel eye replacement versions on EBay. At least they are cheap...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-08-BMW-Z4...item3cb89d4f6c
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep

Awesome! $135? That's cheap. When I had to replace my e36 key at my local dealer, I paid $180, and it didn't even have any remote functions built in. Which dealer did you get yours from? Maybe I can order from them and they can mail it to me?

Thanks for the headlight restore tip. I'm heading to Walmart later today for some unrelated stuff, I'll look for the 3M you mentioned.

Do they haze easily again? Is there anything I can do to protect it from happening? What about those 3M headlight shield film?

Quote:

#6 - I had haze on my headlights as well; I tried several types of bottle polishes, none really worked until I bought the 3M headlight restoration kit, would highly recommend it ($18.97 at Walmart, a little more expensive at the other automotive stores).

Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
mtayloruk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

#6 - Haven't needed to do it on the Z4 yet, but removed the haze on our Chrysler Town & Country's light housings with a NAPA kit three years ago. A morning job. Worked great.

(Have fun with the Z4, I moved from an E36 M3/4 too.)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYZ4Jack View Post
Awesome! $135? That's cheap. When I had to replace my e36 key at my local dealer, I paid $180, and it didn't even have any remote functions built in. Which dealer did you get yours from? Maybe I can order from them and they can mail it to me?

Thanks for the headlight restore tip. I'm heading to Walmart later today for some unrelated stuff, I'll look for the 3M you mentioned.

Do they haze easily again? Is there anything I can do to protect it from happening? What about those 3M headlight shield film?
I bought my key from United BMW in South Atlanta (Union City GA) - maybe they gave me a deal on the key since I also bought new plugs, oil, filter, Cabin Air filter, brake fluid, etc. They have always given me the option for local pick-up or shipping on all of the parts I've ordered from them, however, to get the key, you need to be able to provide proof of ownership, so I'm not sure how that will be handled over the phone.

I used the 3M kit several months ago, have had nothing return as of yet - there is a YouTube instructional video that shows how to use it. I suspect haze can return to any light after restoration, but I'm willing to take that chance and restore again if needed considering the OEM replacement costs!!

Brgds,
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep

Thanks I'll give both suggestions a try.

Quote:
I bought my key from United BMW in South Atlanta (Union City GA) - maybe they gave me a deal on the key since I also bought new plugs, oil, filter, Cabin Air filter, brake fluid, etc. They have always given me the option for local pick-up or shipping on all of the parts I've ordered from them, however, to get the key, you need to be able to provide proof of ownership, so I'm not sure how that will be handled over the phone.

I used the 3M kit several months ago, have had nothing return as of yet - there is a YouTube instructional video that shows how to use it. I suspect haze can return to any light after restoration, but I'm willing to take that chance and restore again if needed considering the OEM replacement costs!!

Brgds,
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #16
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep

I use to hangout on M3forum.net. My e36 M3 has a special place in my heart, there was something about the handling/speed on that car. It's raw and brute is the best way I can describe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtayloruk View Post
#6 - Haven't needed to do it on the Z4 yet, but removed the haze on our Chrysler Town & Country's light housings with a NAPA kit three years ago. A morning job. Worked great.

(Have fun with the Z4, I moved from an E36 M3/4 too.)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
To buy a new key, you MUST show your drivers license and registration. They will not order a new key without that. Also, the registration must show the VIN number of the car.

When I needed a key for the Roadster, they actually made a photo copy of the registration to attach to the order form.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #18
mtayloruk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

Selling my '97 M3/4, in 2005, 44k miles from new, was worst decision I've ever made and one I'll always regret! Even the kids harp on about it. No peace of mind :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #19
NYZ4Jack
Private
Rep

Thanks! You saved me a trip to the dealer next week. Looks like I'll need to register the car, get all the paperwork out of the way before I head to dealer to price out a key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
To buy a new key, you MUST show your drivers license and registration. They will not order a new key without that. Also, the registration must show the VIN number of the car.

When I needed a key for the Roadster, they actually made a photo copy of the registration to attach to the order form.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #20
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYZ4Jack View Post
Thanks! You saved me a trip to the dealer next week. Looks like I'll need to register the car, get all the paperwork out of the way before I head to dealer to price out a key.
The folks at the BMW parts dept accepted my Bill of sale (in lieu of registration) that had the VIN on it, along with my driver's license ..... don't think you need to wait until it is registered to get a key.

Maybe it depends on the location

I didn't get my Z registered until 45 days after the sale becuase the stealership I bought it from kept dropping the ball on submitting the registrartion to the DMV
Appreciate 0