ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Robcockrum
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Roadster

Coolant Question

I have a 2007 e85 3.0si with about 37k miles. I\'ve had it for about 3 weeks. This morning the coolant light was on and it was low (I couldn\'t see any fluid / water at all). So I took it over for a quick look at the dealer (bc I assumed they had checked all of the fluids pre-purchase). The guy just said \'oh yeah no problem. We are just going to add some water. We use 50/50 antifreeze / water, and the water just evaporates.\'

Does this sound right? Others out there have to add water frequently?

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

No, sounds like a bunch of .

It's more or less a sealed system with an overflow tank. The water doesn't "evaporate". Some very small loss of coolant (and water) might occur over time, but not in the few weeks you've had the car.

The coolant has to have gone somewhere, and this is the list in order of least to most concern: they didn't check the coolant and it was on the verge of being very low (not unreasonable to see at 37K); overflow tank or tube cracked; leaky hose; radiator leak; heat exchanger leak; head gasket.

I'd keep a very close eye on the coolant level and the condition of the oil and coolant. It's probably the first item on the list above, but if there's a small chance it's one of the others you'd want to keep a close eye on things to avoid other issues.

Do you have all of the maintenance records for the car? If they didn't check this (which is probably the case) there might be other preventative things that would be good to consider doing (brake fluid change, oil change, coolant flush, etc.) unless there's documentation they were done. Not expensive stuff, but good to do at 4 years, 37K miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I would drain it, bring it back to them and go, its leaking u just added this yesterday and its all gone.. fix it
      12-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
a BMW dealer? Did they use OEM fluid 82141467704? The 50/50 part is right, should be half oem coolant and half DISTILLED water. If the car hasn't had a coolant flush done, it's due for one anyway. Maybe try an indy shop and have them check for leaks. Do not overheat the motor

Edit: Finnegan covered it as usual. Believe service interval for coolant is every 2 years. Same with brake fluid, given the car hasn't been driven in hpde/autox, which would shorten those intervals. Also check the water pump if it could've been running dry, and seals could be leaking coolant out

Last edited by BTM; 12-01-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Good advice all around...here in the club we have folks who seldom if EVER check their rad fluid levels...OR their tire pressures, and just wait for a light. Best to check rad fluids on regular basis especially in summer months or getting ready for winter--wait till its cool, open'er up and double check. I find it a bit down occasionally and I like the idea thats its ONE of the things I can check. Tires?? Same routine..amazing what a couple of pounds will do for the handling..and many just never check it, especially with the crazy service intervals lots of folks have bought into. Just a thot...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

If you wanted to check for leaks yourself, you can "rent" a coolant pressurizing pump and fittings from Autozone. Just need to put a deposit down which you get back when it is returned, so the total cost is zero. Wait until your engine is cool and pump up the system to see if it leaks. I've discovered leaks on some of my cars that way. They are fine when cold, but sometimes the hose clamps aren't tight enough when the system pressurizes.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
a BMW dealer? Did they use OEM fluid 82141467704? The 50/50 part is right, should be half oem coolant and half DISTILLED water. If the car hasn't had a coolant flush done, it's due for one anyway. Maybe try an indy shop and have them check for leaks. Do not overheat the motor

Edit: Finnegan covered it as usual. Believe service interval for coolant is every 2 years. Same with brake fluid, given the car hasn't been driven in hpde/autox, which would shorten those intervals. Also check the water pump if it could've been running dry, and seals could be leaking coolant out
Actually, starting in 2004, BMW started using long term coolant which has NO change interval. According to BMW the only reason for a flush/change is if there is a leak(which may be the case with the OP).

See: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=73
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Actually, starting in 2004, BMW started using long term coolant which has NO change interval. According to BMW the only reason for a flush/change is if there is a leak(which may be the case with the OP).

See: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=73
BMW also recommends 15,000mi oil change intervals, and trans/diff fluid (on the M) for inspection II (excluding the 1200 service of course). I personally am not comfortable following their arbitrarily prolonged fluid maintenance schedule, at the urge of nearly every BMW owner and shop I've spoken to about it. Turner, for example supports a 2 year interval.

The BMW long-term antifreeze is Glysantin G48 (BMW N 600 69.0), a corrosion inhibiting antifreeze with a 3yr shelf life up to temperatures of 30C or 86F (according to BASF.) Operating life, according to MTU (engine manufacturer) is 5yrs or 9000hrs, whichever comes first (page 22), though it's pretty unlikely that you will reach 9000hrs (which is 225,000mi if you average 25mph). My coolant recently had it's first flush at about 40k mi, after about 4 years since its production date, I plan on being more diligent with from now on, I've only had it a year.

Related to this discussion are issues with GM using similar hybrid organic antifreeze and its role in head gasket failures, though this was not attributed to the antifreeze itself, it was a side effect of a "lifetime" fluid - people weren't bothering to check coolant level and were thus running low for a while. It may help BMW sell cars, and will certainly last the length of warranty, but there is no such thing as a lifetime fluid.

Edit: additional research, namely on bobistheoilguy, reveals a 5yr/150mi interval for G48 coolant.

More (thanks for posting that btw which inspired me to delve deeper into this than I ever would)

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.underhoodservice.com/Article/46495/cooling_system_antifreeze_requirements.aspx
Hybrid OAT coolants, also known as “G-05.” This formulation also uses organic acids, but not 2-EHA (different organic acids are used). Hybrid OAT coolants add some silicate to provide quick-acting protection for aluminum surfaces. Silicate also helps repair surface erosion caused by cavitation in the water pump. Hybrid OAT coolants are currently used by many European vehicle manufacturers as well as 2001 and newer Chrysler vehicles, 2002 and newer Ford trucks and SUVs, 2003 and newer Ford passenger cars, and 1985 and newer Mercedes, BMW, Volvo and Mini Cooper. The service interval is the same as OAT coolants: five years or 150,000 miles.

Last edited by BTM; 12-02-2011 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Thanks for the info- I will go for a 5yr interval(which I am actually past as my car was produced in 6/06). Since my car only has 15K miles on the clock I am not too concerned about it.
Appreciate 0