ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Valve adjustment affect mileage??

I got my Inspection I a couple of weeks ago and 15 of the 24 valves required different shims. While I take comfort knowing that the dealership appears to have been thorough in their work, I can't help noticing that my mileage since then seems to have gone down by 10%-15%. It's possible that it could be partially due to the cold weather which causes cars to run a little richer until they warm up. But could the changes made from the valve adjustment have anything to do with it? It sounds and runs great but the mileage drop is hard not to notice. Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
She shims are designed to wear (more than the valve stretching or seat recession, causing tight valves), so most likely the valves were on the loose side and a larger shim was introduced to bring the lash into spec, allowing more fuel/air mixture, as well as increase exhaust breathing. My mileage has always gone down after an adjustment, but after a few days, it levels again. Did you get the spec sheet as to the before and after tolerances?
      12-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Did you get the spec sheet as to the before and after tolerances?
Yes. But the way the tech filled it out, he never put the clearance measures on the sheet. He starts out simply citing whether the valve was within spec or outside spec. Then, if it was outside spec, he included the size of the existing shim, the one that he substituted for it and that the final gap was within spec. In all cases, the shim used was one size larger than the one it replaced.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
Yes. But the way the tech filled it out, he never put the clearance measures on the sheet. He starts out simply citing whether the valve was within spec or outside spec. Then, if it was outside spec, he included the size of the existing shim, the one that he substituted for it and that the final gap was within spec. In all cases, the shim used was one size larger than the one it replaced.
If a larger shim was utilized, then the valves were on the loose side; he most likely had some scratch data where he calculated his measurements and micrometer values, he just didn't place that on the final sheet for you. In any case, the car may need some time to adapt to the new clearances, not that these cars vary much with respect to fuel mileage, I always have a little dip after adjusting them, but I generally set mine on the looser side of the spec.
      12-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
.... I generally set mine on the looser side of the spec.
why?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
why?
Cooler engine, safer for the valves, especially on the exhaust side.