ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i - Saphire Black

Removing Belt Cover in Engine bay

I want to remove the plastic cover shown in the image below to check the belts and cooling system seals. This really shouldn't be difficult but BMW seems to think otherwise. It looks like I need two different types of screw drivers to remove all the bolts (Torx, and something else for the small screws). Any advice for me on the best way to get this off?

Can I leave it off once I remove it, or does it actually do something useful?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Belt access does not increase with that removed, there is still the radiator support underneath.
The cover itself serves as a cover to hide the ugly sheet metal but also to stabilize the radiator.
The 2 torx looking fasteners on the raised portions insert into 2 recesses in the top of the rad.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

A friend of mine who also owns a BMW says that there is a little plastic piece on the cooling system that is prone to breaking or wearing out, and that it can cause a lot of damage if it happens. According to him, the only way to check this is to remove this plastic cover. Is this true, or does he have no idea what he's talking about?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

The expansion tank is under there on the drivers side.
If you do not have any loss of fluid why mess with it?

If you do want to remove the cover to investigate what is under there, the plastic torx fasteners are a push style fastener. You thread them out to disassemble and push them into to reassemble. You will likely have to exert some upward pressure under the head of fastener as you thread it out.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #5
m3griff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
The expansion tank is under there on the drivers side.
If you do not have any loss of fluid why mess with it?

If you do want to remove the cover to investigate what is under there, the plastic torx fasteners are a push style fastener. You thread them out to disassemble and push them into to reassemble. You will likely have to exert some upward pressure under the head of fastener as you thread it out.
Removing the cover does help open up the area around the belt and pulleys by offering additional space through the radiator support bracket. Not much, but a little. Really easy to remove : unscrew the small threaded fasteners partially - just enough to then pull the surrounding fastener up and out. There are about 8 of these. There are two larger metal ones that need to be removed. Then lift the whole thing off the car. Takes 5-10 min tops.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 05:45 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'll add that the expanding rivets are usually one-time-use fasteners and you'll break or mung-up most of them upon removal, so it's best to buy replacement fasteners before you remove the panel. They are plastic and have a Phillips screw head. You unscrew them a bit, then pull them out with pliers or a panel removal tool. There are eight (8) total and are P/N 51168197908. I paid 34 cents each a month or two ago when I ordered them on line. I bought 12 just incase a few broke going back in...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 02:19 AM   #7
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

what is this panel removal tool? can you link to one?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 05:18 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
what is this panel removal tool? can you link to one?
The one I use is a snap-on that a mechanic left in the engine bay of one of my cars a long time ago. But it is the tool used to remove those big-head plastic buttons that hold interior panels on, like the trunk panels. It looks like a small pry bar with a screw driver handle and has a wide flat tip with a u-shaped cut in it. Any auto parts store will have one.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:31 PM   #9
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

So is it true that there is some $2 plastic piece for the radiator under there that can save you tons of money if you catch it before it breaks? Can anyone tell me more about this?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #10
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Removal of panel is easy.. I just did. Phillip screw heads aren't really screws, they are the inserts for plastic tabs, once retracted 3/4 inch; tab pulls out. The catch is, they don't always come out easy - acting stripped. After that, two torx bolts on either side. Panel lifts out - rubber inserts (with large torx heads, will pull out). M3griff is correct, though, not much access to belts, unless you remove radiators.
Appreciate 0