ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #1
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

VAC Motorsports Hub Extender Won't Fit

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...ers-p2191.aspx

I bought these hub extenders after confirming with VAC via email that it was the correct one for the Z4M. They said to go with the E36/E46 style. But it really seems like they will not fit on. Are these an extremely tight fight such that it truly feels like it is the wrong size, or should it go in relatively easily?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Oops read OP wrong
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 03-16-2015 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:28 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I have the Turner version. It's a very tight fit! It has to be super tight to provide any benefit. Follow DBarton's advice. Even then it's going to be a tight fit though. So I'll offer you the options and methods that I used to attach mine.

There are two approaches you can use to get that installed.

The first is to use a hard rubber mallet. Start it and then tap away. Might take a few minutes working around the extender at 9, 12, 3, 6 o'clock points.

The other option is to get a very short 2 x 4, push that up against the hub extender, and then "tap" away at it with a low poundage sledge. I found this to be much easier than using the rubber mallet in fact.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I got my calipers out and measured. Diameter of the hub extender is 66.0mm, inner diameter of the hub is ~64.7mm

Does this seem right? Maybe I'm just not manhandling it enough. Between this and my oil change annoyance, this has not been a good week for me

Last edited by intoflatlines; 03-16-2015 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Oops read OP wrong
What did you say? Finnegan said to follow your advice
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
What did you say? Finnegan said to follow your advice
I thought you were talking about the wheel centre originally, not the hub bore.

I suggested you clean the oxidation from the bore with a pot scrubber or better still a wire cup brush on an electric drill, although 1.3mm as measured seems excessive for corrosion.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah, take a look at the first pic I added above. There wasn't much corrosion on the inside, it seems. I took a pick and scoured it up real good inside and nothing was really coming off except for some grease. It really seemed like corrosion wasn't a factor there. But it would be a good idea to try a wire brush, although I'm not sure it would remove and more residue vs. the picks I used.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Silly question: did you remove the dust cap? I see it's still there in the pics. (Dust cap has to come off first. Then hub extender goes on. Acts as new dust cap.)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #9
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Seems like a lot of trouble for such a small offset change. My personal rule is to use a large enough spacer that has the hub portion (10mm spacer) or I don't use a spacer at all.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #10
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Silly question: did you remove the dust cap? I see it's still inum the pics. (Dust cap has to come off first. Then hub extender goes on. Acts as new dust cap.)
Well that would explain it... I'm an idiot. Thought I looked and didn't think it could come off. Any "secret" to pulling it off or just try to work a screwdriver in there and pry it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
Seems like a lot of trouble for such a small offset change. My personal rule is to use a large enough spacer that has the hub portion (10mm spacer) or I don't use a spacer at all.
I have limited camber to work with (stock suspension with camber washers) and running without a spacer is not an option right now because I rub the strut. If I go out too far more I will probably rub on the outside. Had I realized I was getting camber washers I would have gotten a different offset wheel though.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

No worries. Turner instructions noted this step.

I used an awl and worked around the outside. Got enough off to use needle nose pliers.

It's a one use flimsy cap, so don't try to save it. Careful removal only as much as it keeps the inner surface intact.

I used a small spacer for exactly the same reasons. Fine tuning.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #12
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Question: I have a 5mm spacer on rear with no extenders. I can still hang the wheel on the hub but just barely. The above pic with the spacer installed looks like the extension you would get from a thicker spacer. So I think an extension is not needed. Am I missing something?
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #13
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
No worries. Turner instructions noted this step.

I used an awl and worked around the outside. Got enough off to use needle nose pliers.

It's a one use flimsy cap, so don't try to save it. Careful removal only as much as it keeps the inner surface intact.

I used a small spacer for exactly the same reasons. Fine tuning.
Good tips, I'll give it a shot tonight. Yeah no instructions were included with the VAC product, probably because they thought it was idiot-proof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADRACR View Post
Question: I have a 5mm spacer on rear with no extenders. I can still hang the wheel on the hub but just barely. The above pic with the spacer installed looks like the extension you would get from a thicker spacer. So I think an extension is not needed. Am I missing something?
I don't think that hub extenders will fit on the rear because of the design of the rear hub. At least, that's my recollection. The issue with the fronts is that while there is hub remaining with a 5mm spacer, it is not enough to reliably keep the wheel centered. When I pull off my wheel bolts with the 5mm spacer in front, the wheel immediately pops off. And when mounting, it's a struggle to keep the wheel centered 100% even with two threaded wheel hangers because the wheel's weight wants to separate it from the few millimeters of remaining hub.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #14
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got the hub extenders on, and the wheel vibration is gone. Thanks for pointing out my mistake Finnegan!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #15
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^ excellent
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #16
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines
Got the hub extenders on, and the wheel vibration is gone. Thanks for pointing out my mistake Finnegan!
Excellent!

Things like this are why we all are here! I can't begin to state how many things I've learned, or how many problems I've been able to solve, or how many things I didn't understand, until I spent some time on this forum.
Appreciate 0