ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-10-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Francisco4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 3.0si Z4 Manual

Battery Help!

I need to replace the battery in my 2007 3.0si roadster. I knew it was getting weak last fall before I put it away for the winter. I was checking the current battery and it is a H5 with 520 Cold Cranking amps and a Reserve Capacity of 60. This seems low to my limited knowledge, especially the RC of only 60. Before I replace this battery, I want to make sure that it is actually the correct battery for this car. I am a relatively new owner to my Z and it is my first BMW.

Are anythings I should be aware off when changing the battery. I don't want to to send it into limp/transport mode. I have found a thread that warns of over torqueing the post clamps.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

FDR
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco4 View Post
I need to replace the battery in my 2007 3.0si roadster. I knew it was getting weak last fall before I put it away for the winter. I was checking the current battery and it is a H5 with 520 Cold Cranking amps and a Reserve Capacity of 60. This seems low to my limited knowledge, especially the RC of only 60. Before I replace this battery, I want to make sure that it is actually the correct battery for this car. I am a relatively new owner to my Z and it is my first BMW.

Are anythings I should be aware off when changing the battery. I don't want to to send it into limp/transport mode. I have found a thread that warns of over torqueing the post clamps.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

FDR
There have been folks using the H5 or H6 batteries interchangeably in the 3.0si's. Some say the H6 is too long for the slot, others say it fits fine. You will likely have to reset the clock and the power windows. It should not go into limp mode. You can decide if you want a standard battery or the more expensive AGM. I went from the OEM AGM to a standard lead acid on my M with no issues in 3yrs.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...hlight=battery

Some useful info here.
      03-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...hlight=battery" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.zpost.com...ht=battery</a>

Some useful info here.
Beat me too it!

It's a dynamic tool, so if a viable option isn't noted yet, please add to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #5
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

As I noted in the referenced thread, there are different hold down brackets for the H5 and H6 series. If you decide to upgrade to the larger size, order the shorter H6 OEM bracket to make sure it is properly secured - I listed the part numbers in the spreadsheet comments, they are not expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2015, 02:56 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
As I noted in the referenced thread, there are different hold down brackets for the H5 and H6 series. If you decide to upgrade to the larger size, order the shorter H6 OEM bracket to make sure it is properly secured - I listed the part numbers in the spreadsheet comments, they are not expensive.
Thank you for adding knowledge to the spreadsheet!
Appreciate 0