ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Z4M: Install RE Diablo's

I just received my RE Diablo's for my Z4M Roadster today that I purchased from a forum member. I haven't gone under the car to see what's required yet, but are there any tips or tricks to the installation? Can I reuse all of the stock mounting hardware? I checked Rogue's website, but there weren't any specific instructions for the E85/Diablo's there. I'd just like to avoid surprises half way through the install.

I presume that this can be done by lifting the car on jacks/stands only, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
nobrakese28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I used drive up ramps (reversed onto them). Once I was up I removed the differential diffuser (black plastic piece) to gain some more room for my hands (I have done it w/o removing this piece, but it only takes a few moments).

You should be able to use all of the stock hardware (I needed slightly shorter bolts for my RPI exhaust). It is overall a pretty simple install. Make sure you use some anti-seize on the bolts (will prevent the them rusting/seizing).

It may take them a while to line them up perfectly, a second set of eyes is helpful.

-Marco
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks! I also found this great thread with a lot of step-by-step pictures:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484468

Hmm, the ramps are a good idea, but not sure if the old metal ones I have are wide enough for the tires. Also, did you have any issues with the front scraping because of the angle of the ramps?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
mexicobmw
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: car

I just installed a set of diablos as well. followed crfine88 diy and it was pretty easy.
system sounds great!!!
regards
diego
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
carelessmoker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MR

Garage List
2007 MR  [0.00]
I just installed a set I bought from a member. One thing that I needed to buy was 4 metric nuts for locations B and C. On mine the bolts screwed directly into the OEM cans but on the Diablos they passed through and required nuts. Not sure your will be the same but just a heads up.
Good luck with the install and your be pleased when you turn it over for the first time.
Regards
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carelessmoker View Post
I just installed a set I bought from a member. One thing that I needed to buy was 4 metric nuts for locations B and C. On mine the bolts screwed directly into the OEM cans but on the Diablos they passed through and required nuts. Not sure your will be the same but just a heads up.
Mine are the same... I read your post, but didn't put 2 & 2 together because on the OEM cans it looks like they are normal nuts, but they are actually welded on. I got 1/2 way through when I realized this and it was too late to go the the hardware store. Not sure I'll have time tomorrow, so I had to re-install the OEM cans. Test fit was great, so I'm mad that 4 little nuts are keeping me from the final install.

Do you know what size they were specifically? I can't take the bolt to the store with me because I had to reinstall them

PS: Should I get anything special in terms of the nuts? ie: Stainless Steel, lock nuts, etc?

Last edited by ncnmra; 07-26-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #7
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
The nuts are M8. My recommendation would be to use an M8 flange nut (similar to that used on your strut tower), which would most likely eliminate the need for a washer. You'll probably need a shorter bolt on one of the hangers too as the OEM bolt is too long for most aftermarket exhaust. The length of the bolt, of course will depend on your exhaust. I would just get several in different lengths for best fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
carelessmoker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MR

Garage List
2007 MR  [0.00]
Sorry about the extra work. I should of been more specific in my description. Like XMetall said the nuts are M8. I was able to use the OEM bolts but if they were a little shorter it would of been easier to get them started. I used some lock washers but again XMetal's suggestion for a flange nut would be the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the tips guys. I picked up some flange nuts and it was easy. OEM bolts fit perfectly on these, in fact, the Diablo's hangers are almost identical to the OEM (save for the welded bolt).

I think I got the install right, but to be honest it is very different from what I expected. The sound is nice and crisp RPMs over 5-6k. Between idle and 3k they are quite loud. Is it at all possible that the are not seated right? I may give it a few weeks to get used to.

Last edited by ncnmra; 07-31-2012 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
That was exactly how I felt when I had the Supersprint Race. Idle to approx. 4K was really loud, but after that, it appears to quiet down a bit.
Appreciate 0