ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Fix for creaking rool hoops

If you are someone who is bothered by small creaks and rattles, you've probably cursed at the roll hoop covers, drove down the road holding them together with your hand, considered ripping them off (only to give up when you saw that new covers are like $400), and generally hated the shitty plastic BMW used to make them.

I'm really obsessive about rattles, and the noises from the roll hoops have been killing me. I was close to removing them and going with bare metal roll hoops, and decided to try one last time to quiet them down. I'm excited to report that hockey tape will do the job. Yes, hockey tape.

Get some hockey tape (thick, like 1.5" width is better) and just wrap it around the roll hoops, pulling it as tight as you can. You want it to be wrapped with just a little bit of overlap, like the end of a hockey stick. For those who don't know, hockey tape is a very strong cloth tape with low stretch and a matt finish. You can buy it at Dick's Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, etc.

It actually doesn't look terrible if you take your time, but if you've got the leather windscreen you won't see it at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #2
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
graphite dust between the panels can work for clicks and squeaks too

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

so you took the covers off, and covered the bare metal hoops in hockey tape? Did you put the covers back on?
      03-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I thought removing them damaged them?
      03-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

I put the hockey tape right over the covers. As psygnosis said, removing the covers supposedly breaks them beyond repair (based on a handful of posts on this website by people that tried removing them).

The problem is that the covers don't fit tight enough, so they can flex a little bit and rub against each other. The hockey tape holds them together very tightly so they can't flex and thus can't make noises.

I put my windscreen on last night, it fit over the tape no problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
I put the hockey tape right over the covers. As psygnosis said, removing the covers supposedly breaks them beyond repair (based on a handful of posts on this website by people that tried removing them).
You can remove the second half without breaking, but the first half you remove there's no way to access the clips, so you will break at least one clip.

I removed them to install the OEM mesh windscreen.