ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Vibration and Noise when cold.

All,

I am experiencing a nasty issue. I have converted this machine into a weekend car. When it is cold once fired up, when the engine is reved and just to 3000 RPM there is a strong vibration that is engine speed related. I will try and take a video. But once the car is fully warmed up it is fine.

Any ideas?
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
You mentioned a noise in your title. What is the noise like?

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 12:55 AM   #3
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So I started it again and it stopped doing it. So it has to do with how long the car is sitting. It is a strong rpm related vibration, shakes the car and a noticeable loss of power....but that may also be due to my reluctance to rev when the engine is doing this.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 05:53 AM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Mine is like yours, rarely run/driven. When I first take it out after a long break I get the vibration too. I do not notice a loss of power. If I drive somewhere shut down and start up again, it is smooth again.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #5
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr
Mine is like yours, rarely run/driven. When I first take it out after a long break I get the vibration too. I do not notice a loss of power. If I drive somewhere shut down and start up again, it is smooth again.
Exactly! That's it right there
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It makes no sense to me. I was thinking motor mounts but that wouldn't correct itself with a drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Bad coil and misfires? I'm not sure if there such a thing as a lazy coil, but you could certainly get some vibration with a semi-functioning coil, corroded plug, moisture,etc.

I know it's going to sound typical, but if you tried using a BMW code reader or knock off (eBay)? There might be some fault codes that you could read, and most of these allow you to read data in real-time which allow you to get a better glimpse of what's going on with the engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #8
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Bad coil and misfires? I'm not sure if there such a thing as a lazy coil, but you could certainly get some vibration with a semi-functioning coil, corroded plug, moisture,etc.

I know it's going to sound typical, but if you tried using a BMW code reader or knock off (eBay)? There might be some fault codes that you could read, and most of these allow you to read data in real-time which allow you to get a better glimpse of what's going on with the engine.
If a coil was bad/semi-bad would it correct itself by just taking a drive and shutting off the engine? I thought coils either work, or don't. No misses/stumbling with my motor either, just a lot of vibration felt through the wheel/shift knob/clutch which magically resolves after it warms up then is shut down and restarted.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It is really odd. Shakes the whole car and if you start driving more frequently it goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
If a coil was bad/semi-bad would it correct itself by just taking a drive and shutting off the engine? I thought coils either work, or don't. No misses/stumbling with my motor either, just a lot of vibration felt through the wheel/shift knob/clutch which magically resolves after it warms up then is shut down and restarted.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 05:20 PM   #10
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
There is no CEL but would codes be thrown up anyway? I didn't realize that was a thing.....I suppose I should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 06:29 PM   #11
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
No, its not always a complete failure.
I have had them come & go on other cars.
Symptoms were very similar to this situation, except I wouldn't describe it as a vibration.
The car would run rough with reduced power.

If power is still normal, then coil packs wouldn't be my 1st guess.

I have noted that you can get vibrations that go away as things heat up expand, such as exhaust, heat shields etc.
The aluminum shield below the xpipe is a prime source for vibrations.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      03-23-2016, 09:48 PM   #12
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashplate
All,

I am experiencing a nasty issue. I have converted this machine into a weekend car. When it is cold once fired up, when the engine is reved and just to 3000 RPM there is a strong vibration that is engine speed related. I will try and take a video. But once the car is fully warmed up it is fine.

Any ideas?
I should have asked "where" is the vibration. Intgr8's thoughts could be right on the money.

I've had the Rogue X-Pipe and the older rubber bushings that mount it cause vibration issues. I traced it to the X pipe actually hitting the support plate, but only at certain temperature ranges tied to both ambient temperature and the car's temperature. The Rogue piece hasn't ever fit exactly right and as the rubber aged and create an environment where it was just enough movement for it to vibrate.

That's vibration felt like it was coming from the driveline due to the fact that it was hitting the support plate (vibrations travel).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #13
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
But the thing is it only happens when it hasn't been driven for a while...and cold. So i started it up yesterday and it wasn't doing it because I put 20 miles on it the day before. I will check again today and if so take a video.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #14
joelselman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4, 2001 530

Your symptoms sound like possibly an injector or check valve leak causing a loss of fuel pressure when sitting and a miss till fuel pressure builds up, BUT, the buildup of pressure should only take a minute or so and this condition should light the cel.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #15
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelselman View Post
Your symptoms sound like possibly an injector or check valve leak causing a loss of fuel pressure when sitting and a miss till fuel pressure builds up, BUT, the buildup of pressure should only take a minute or so and this condition should light the cel.
That is just it though - I have no missing at all. The engine runs fine, I just feel a lot of vibration(kind of in general not a specific spot it seems to originate from). Maybe it is just expansion of joints but it hasn't always done this, just over the last year or so.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #16
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Had this happen again, seems to be directly related to cold weather and lack of driving. Took it out on Friday and it had the vibration. Parked went into a meeting for an hour and the problem was gone again, ran like a top....
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #17
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

I think it is from it running richer at start up. Kinda vibrates the car and high rpm's at idle till warm.

Thats my 2 cents but what do i know?

Sounds like a good problem to have. Drive her more often
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #18
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
I think it is from it running richer at start up. Kinda vibrates the car and high rpm's at idle till warm.

Thats my 2 cents but what do i know?

Sounds like a good problem to have. Drive her more often
That is the first analysis that makes sense! Yes, I know.....ok fine. Let me try that and not report back
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 06:49 AM   #19
JCF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Not throwing any codes right? Could it be related to the the secondary air pump? It only activates when the engine is cold from low external temps and runs for about 30 seconds, forcing more air into the engine to aid in combustion. Would explain why you only experience it when the car has been sitting and is cold. Might explain the vibration too if it's not getting the amount of air it expects. Normally though you would see an engine code if it's failing.

If it's warmer outside, do you still experience the issue when the car is cold?
/// LED Lighting /// Pedal Haus M aluminum pedals and heel plate /// BMW logo puddle lights /// CF wrapped console /// LeatherZ MK4 console storage, armrests, door pulls /// ZHP illuminated shift knob /// BMW under seat storage /// Soundplicity III /// Stubby Antenna /// Eventuri Intake /// Tekcarbon CF valve cover /// Stromung exhaust /// Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts ///3rd brake light blinker
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #20
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Mine does it in warm or cold weather after the car has sat for a long time. As others have said, it is rough for the initial drive and doesn't resolve as the car warms up. When I park and shut it down then come back and drive it again, it is usually back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #21
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCF View Post
Not throwing any codes right? Could it be related to the the secondary air pump? It only activates when the engine is cold from low external temps and runs for about 30 seconds, forcing more air into the engine to aid in combustion. Would explain why you only experience it when the car has been sitting and is cold. Might explain the vibration too if it's not getting the amount of air it expects. Normally though you would see an engine code if it's failing.

If it's warmer outside, do you still experience the issue when the car is cold?
It lasts longer than 30 Seconds. Only when car is cold and it is cold outside.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #22
Pineland resistance
Rep
Drives: 03 z4 3.0

Ok. What's probably happening is you have an intake or vacuum leak that is small but large enough that when the engine has had a cold soak (12hrs plus undriven) it acts us. After it's driven and warms up things expand and it seals up. It's time for a smoke test of the intake and pcv ccv parts. Also check the intake bellows boot for cracks. This on some m54 motors messes up the idler valve and can cause lots or drivability issues
Appreciate 0