ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #1
TommyA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

Paring Iphone 6S

Just pared a Iphone 6S to my 07 3.0i with no problems. A big thanks to the one who figured out how to get the PK code without taking the trunk apart. I was a little hesitant to get the new phone but things turned out well.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
bigjet
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4

I am having a problem trying to pair an iphone 6 with my Z4 M. BMW claims that on a '06 model this is quite easy but I havent been able. Also they claim that there is no code for this model????
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjet View Post
I am having a problem trying to pair an iphone 6 with my Z4 M. BMW claims that on a '06 model this is quite easy but I havent been able. Also they claim that there is no code for this model????
I have an identical setup as you, and I had to enter a 4-digit passkey on the iPhone to pair using Bluetooth.

Straight from the manual: "In order to pair the mobile phone, you require the "BLUETOOTH PASSKEY", a 4-digit number that will generally be supplied with the vehicle's owner manual. Please retain this passkey for future reference."

I had a glossy insert with a Motorola/BMW sticker that had the passkey along with the version of Bluetooth.

When you first turn the key to position 1 or 2, and you tell your phone to search for Bluetooth connections, do you see BMW followed by some numbers as an available connection?

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #4
bigjet
Rep

nothing shows up on the phone and also how did you get the code without taking the trunk apart
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #5
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
nothing shows up on the phone and also how did you get the code without taking the trunk apart
Maybe your bluetooth module isn't working in the BMW. I'm assuming it has a bluetooth module. It should be broadcasting something like BMW54318 (numbers would be different). If you don't see that shortly after you move the key position from off to 1 or 2, there is no bluetooth signal for your phone to connect. Once you do see the BMW device, you'll still have to enter a passkey.

My passkey was in the owner's manual on a glossy insert about 5x7. It had a sticker with a barcode that had all of the bluetooth information such as software version, passkey, etc. The dealer can also supply it. There may be another way that Tommy can share.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #6
bigjet
Rep

Well, it sure seems like the bluetooth module is not there or not working as I have tried all of the recommendations. Is there any other way of knowing?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, it sure seems like the bluetooth module is not there or not working as I have tried all of the recommendations. Is there any other way of knowing?
There is always the visual check in the trunk, which requires a little work to get the carpet up, but before that, do you have the bluetooth microphone mounted to the top of your steering column? It's a small piece of slotted black plastic.

Salty
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 01:07 AM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I was actually able to see the code on my module through the speaker area behind the driver seat.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #9
TommyA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

Run the drivers side seat all the way forward and remove the speaker screen directly behind it. There is a opening on the side of the speaker closest to the door. Use a long screw driver to push the wire bundle you will see, to the left of the car. There should be a module with a white sticker that has a four digit PK code written on it. That is the code you will need to pair your phone. The letters are very tiny so use a bright light.

Open up the settings on your phone where you will see the available bluetooth devices. Turn the key till the radio turns on and look for a BMW device to show on your phone. Once this occurs you must select that device to pair with and it will ask for the code. You will only have 30 seconds or so to begin the pairing or the radio will stop the process. Just turn the key off and then back on again if that occurs.

I believe that all 2006 models and later have the module for bluetooth connection , but I could be wrong. So far, no one that I've seen has reported that their module quite working.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
markp1958
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0i / 2014 740i

Service dept told me mine was reading error with only 3 digits but I didn't give up .Tried the behind the speaker thing w/ no luck . Ended up pulling the carpet out the 3 bolts that hold the module? in place spun it around and there it was PK---- ! Takes about 30 min start to finish just be patient w/ carpeting mostly .BTW this is an 07 85 3.0i
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #11
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I think that if you press the talking head button (wow - so technical) on the steering wheel and hold it in for a few seconds, the car will respond with something like "function not available" if there is a Bluetooth module in the car and it can't find a phone that it has already been paired with.

If you don't get that message, you may not have a Bluetooth module.

Also, why not google a BMW VIN decoder, pop in your VIN, and find out if you have Bluetooth.

https://www.bmwdecoder.com

In the list of features, you should see "Preparation F Mobile Phone Cpl. USACDN" or similar.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 02-02-2017 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0