ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Coupe

Kicking the back end out during normal driving

I've gotten into the habit of sliding the back end out a bit coming out of corners around town. I'm sure some will frown on this sort of behavior, but I only do this in situations that are fairly open, safe & uncrowded with good line of site. Plus the DSC seems to have been designed exactly for this, as it lets the traction give just enough while keeping things tidy. I'm also a pretty firm believer that being very familiar with the limits of your car can save you (and it has a few times). I'm sure I'll pay the price in more frequent rear tire replacement, but it sure is fun! Has anyone else developed this habit?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Sounds like fun but a terrible idea for multiple reasons. Good luck.
      11-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
I've done it a few times. Usually really early AM going to work. I'm sure in my younger years, I would've taken my car out for some donuts in an open parking lot as well.

I baby this car too much.
      11-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
Sounds like fun but a terrible idea for multiple reasons. Good luck.
Perhaps so, but I guess I've been doing this sort of thing in some way, shape or form with various cars for almost 30 years and never had even a close call due to my own actions. It comes down to being conscientious about the level of risk in each situation. I've had plenty of close calls due to others actions, which thankfully I've been able to avoid.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

As long as you feel you're being safe about it that's one thing. I'm not saying I never did it when I was a bit younger but now I'm mostly concerned about the fact that I don't have 360 degree vision to see that cop who happens to be watching me. The money spent on a reckless driving charge and increased insurance can go to a lot of autocrosses or track days.

Edit: And I see you're in SF area. I know they need money. I got a BS parking ticket there earlier this year that would have paid for about five autocrosses.
      11-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
8nthatk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M

I don’t on corners…that can lead to a body shop visit. I will on a full throttle 1-2 shift from time to time; mine scoots a bit sideways with wheel spin before the DSC kicks in.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
As long as you feel you're being safe about it that's one thing. I'm not saying I never did it when I was a bit younger but now I'm mostly concerned about the fact that I don't have 360 degree vision to see that cop who happens to be watching me. The money spent on a reckless driving charge and increased insurance can go to a lot of autocrosses or track days.

Edit: And I see you're in SF area. I know they need money. I got a BS parking ticket there earlier this year that would have paid for about five autocrosses.
They give out parking tickets here like they hand out flyers in Vegas. But getting pulled over is another thing entirely. They're too jaded, and busy fighting real crime to worry about enforcing any sort of traffic laws here. Honestly though, I'm not talking about full on tail out drift. Just a touch of throttle induced oversteer with a little bit of kick. It is so controlled & easy to manage, the car almost begs to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Fishtailing in rear wheel drive cars is fun and I have been doing it longer than I will admit. If you know what you're doing and know your car, a controlled slide in the right conditions is pretty safe. Just use your head. Why have a sports car if you're going to drive it around all conservatively.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I have Conti run-flats on the rear (out of self-preservation). They're like buttered eels.
Luckily, I grew up in Chicago, and learned to drive in a Beetle in the snow.
Just like in Rally, the best way around a corner in the snow is a 45° drift.
If you get caught drifting, the standard write up is "improper lane usage".
I have several in my history.
      11-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I commute to work at 5am and the empty road might as well be a racetrack I feel you!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
funkle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I have Conti run-flats on the rear (out of self-preservation). They're like buttered eels.
Luckily, I grew up in Chicago, and learned to drive in a Beetle in the snow.
Just like in Rally, the best way around a corner in the snow is a 45° drift.
If you get caught drifting, the standard write up is "improper lane usage".
I have several in my history.
When I was going to college in CO, I had a Vette (a Chevette that is) which was rear wheel drive, so I got well acquainted with these antics. Very fun. Then when I graduated, I upgraded to an MR2. A totally different animal - that is not a car you want to get the rear end out in. It's all or nothing in that car. Once the rear end lets go at all, you're almost guaranteed to spin it. But all the bimmers I've had have been so manageable what it comes to rear end letting go.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #12
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Good thing she isnt super charged with 3.90 gears. You might get into trouble
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #13
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
... Then when I graduated, I upgraded to an MR2. ...
I had an '86 MR2 N/A for 2 years and then upgraded to an '88 S/C that I had for 22 years.
Never drove it in the snow. Stored it during the winters and drove my Suburban until I moved to CA and had no more winters.
It was a handful in the rain, so I can imagine it would try and kill you in the snow, but you can't beat that mid-engine balance on dry pavement.
It earned me 3 "improper lane usage" tickets.
Also got a couple in the "Sports Bug" and a couple in the TR-7, all of those in snow.
So I had a TR-7 (arguably the worst car ever made) and an MR2 (arguably the best car ever made).
The Universe balances everything.
      11-11-2014, 12:18 AM   #14
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkle View Post
When I was going to college in CO, I had a Vette (a Chevette that is) which was rear wheel drive, so I got well acquainted with these antics. Very fun. Then when I graduated, I upgraded to an MR2. A totally different animal - that is not a car you want to get the rear end out in. It's all or nothing in that car. Once the rear end lets go at all, you're almost guaranteed to spin it. But all the bimmers I've had have been so manageable what it comes to rear end letting go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I had an '86 MR2 N/A for 2 years and then upgraded to an '88 S/C that I had for 22 years.
Never drove it in the snow. Stored it during the winters and drove my Suburban until I moved to CA and had no more winters.
It was a handful in the rain, so I can imagine it would try and kill you in the snow, but you can't beat that mid-engine balance on dry pavement.
It earned me 3 "improper lane usage" tickets.
Also got a couple in the "Sports Bug" and a couple in the TR-7, all of those in snow.
So I had a TR-7 (arguably the worst car ever made) and an MR2 (arguably the best car ever made).
The Universe balances everything.
Same, I came up from an MR2 turbo. These cars are completely different, and makes you feel like you're God or something

But do be careful
Appreciate 0