ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #23
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westersund
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
After a few more tanks of gas, the problem is gone. That leads me to think it was bad fuel, like everyone told me in the beginning.
Interesting. So the grinding gears at startup is gone by just runing a few tanks of gas or are you talking about the hunting idle? I don't have any hunting idle just the intermitent gear grinding at start up. The gear on the starter grinds on the starter ring on the fly wheel. It's like it won't engage fully before it tries to start the car or disengage before the engine has started completely.

As I said earlier. Starter replaced with OE, battery changed and so is the ignition switch. I'm out of ideas. Maybe it's a bad electrical ground?

Nice to hear that your problem is sorted!
Everything is back to normal. The grinding would come from the engine turning over several times and the starter disengaging, then trying to re-engage. The key was held in the start position the whole time, and never cycled or released into the run position.

I'm not sure what tells the starter to automatically disengage when the car senses that it has successfully fired up, or how it senses that it's fired up, but it sounds like that could be something for you to look into. Good luck!

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #24
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Everything is back to normal. The grinding would come from the engine turning over several times and the starter disengaging, then trying to re-engage. The key was held in the start position the whole time, and never cycled or released into the run position.

I'm not sure what tells the starter to automatically disengage when the car senses that it has successfully fired up, or how it senses that it's fired up, but it sounds like that could be something for you to look into. Good luck!
I'll look into that, thanks.
Appreciate 0